Thread: lifting quickly

lifting quickly

It seems everyone at the gym lifts very quickly, like they are trying to lift as fast as possible, not trying to have a short workout or anything but actually lifting the weight quickly. Is this right?

Sometimes, but most likely not in the case you are talking about.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Tell them they´re doing it wrong

Faster is not always better or safer !

I prefer slow controlled movements, you feel as though you are getting the most out of the specific muscles and not using other non-required muscles for the exercise used.

Personal preference comes into it, but slower is generally better for bodybuilding purposes, power related lifting is a different story however
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

:withstupi For me, the slower the better.

It depends on what you are trying to achieve.

For me it's usually slow on the way down, explode on the way up.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

These people probably just want the set to be over quickly so that they can rest and talk to their buddies again. Explosive reps have their place in a good workout regimen but I doubt that's what's going on at your gym. Most of the time, moderately slow and controlled is the way to go.
    "We must never take these words too seriously. Words are very important but if we take them too seriously, we destroy everything."

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Bar speed is huge when trying to move big weights. The average gym-goer is just looking to stop being a fatass. These people should be going slower.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Takes people's lunch money MONOLITH's Avatar
    I think the 'speed' thing is the wrong approach.

Bodybuilding is about applying the most stress to a muscle with a set amount of weight. Even if you took a lighter weight in a bench press, say 150 to 200, if you slam it up and down in a hurry, you not going to get half the effect as you do with a slow controlled movement. I guess it can be stated as the length of time your muscle is supporting the weight obviously impacts the amount of work that muscle is doing.

Some people will 'speed lift' just to get thru a weight that might be a little too much for them (common in a public weightroom with showoffs/wannabes). They forget that the weight is just a means to the end. Your goal should be to grow a muscle, not lift more weight (althought they are obviously related).

It's not how MUCH you lift, but HOW you lift it.

Originally posted by MONOLITH
    I think the 'speed' thing is the wrong approach.

Bodybuilding is about applying the most stress to a muscle with a set amount of weight. Even if you took a lighter weight in a bench press, say 150 to 200, if you slam it up and down in a hurry, you not going to get half the effect as you do with a slow controlled movement. I guess it can be stated as the length of time your muscle is supporting the weight obviously impacts the amount of work that muscle is doing.

Some people will 'speed lift' just to get thru a weight that might be a little too much for them (common in a public weightroom with showoffs/wannabes). They forget that the weight is just a means to the end. Your goal should be to grow a muscle, not lift more weight (althought they are obviously related).

It's not how MUCH you lift, but HOW you lift it.
    If your main goal is to build muscle, yes.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Wannabebig Member
    Good post monolith...Its not how much weight you can pile on the bar, Its how good your form is.
    Overcome...

Takes people's lunch money MONOLITH's Avatar
    Originally posted by NateDogg

If your main goal is to build muscle, yes.
    Yeah, I knew as I was typing it I was dissing the powerlifters. Wasn't really my intention though, but yes I'm strictly refering to stimulation of growth as opposed to strength gains.