The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

buring fat and gaining muscle at the same time...plz help

Is it possible to lose oh about 20 pounds of flab off my stomach (and a few more in other areas) and still gain muscle mass? Right now I lift weights about 4 times a week and do exercise bike for 35-40 minutes on about 2 of the days that I dont lift...I usually have at least one day of rest. My meals usually consist of a protein shake in the morning, a "light" fast food meal in the afternoon (or something along those lines), and another protein shake at night, usually right after I work out (I usually work out at around 8-9pm)

I'm 22 yrs old/5'7/170lbs

I'd like to actually stay at about the same weight, but just turn all that weight that I have in fat into solid muscle...or of course I'd love to be 190lbs and have no fat

Should I stay with my current diet/workout routine? What am I doing wrong? Am I doing anything right? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...I dont want to keep this up for 6 months and still look the same afterwards...thx in advance

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A Fortnight Dead
    EAT!!!

Your diet is abysmal, quite honestly. You are starving yourself.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Usually from the word on the streets is that you can't pin point direct fat loss. I've managed to do a little bit by getting some weight off of my love handles and my abs but that's after some extreme work.

-Calipso

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    You can't spot reduce. But you can structure your routine effectively to induce hypertrophy. The added lean mass will speed your BMR and allow you to burn more fat.

Like Saturday said, you can structure your diet so that you are able to gain muscle, but not enough calories that your really in a excesse.. that way you can gain some muscle, and at the same time lose fat because of the gain in muscle mass.. This way is a whole lot slower then doing a bulk/cut cycle.. which is why most people on here do those.

And fix your diet up. Even if you don't do a cut or a bulk cycle, the way you eat isn't helping what you are trying to do.
    LaLa

Wannabebig Member
    ok...so how should I structure my diet then like you guys are saying? what should I change? what should I add? And should I get in more time on the exercise bike or is that ok?

and btw I am 100% sure that I am eating enough, if anything maybe I should be cutting down on the calories a little...I've already gone down the road of eating a lot and I'm trying to reverse the effect that that had on me

A Fortnight Dead
    Listen, you may be getting 800 calories, if that.

You are putting your body through hell. Trust me.
    "human kind/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    maybe I should clarify my "light" fast food meal...this meal is usually around 1000 calories alone, and then I have protein shakes mixed with milk, which are probably around 300 calories each...I'd estimate I usually take in between 1500-2000 calories a day...I don't want to eat too much and just gain more fat, but I don't to eat too little and risk losing muscle mass...any helpful suggestions guys?

A Fortnight Dead
    You have AIM?
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

Adrenaline is my anti-drug TommyLee's Avatar
    Work your legs. Your legs house the biggest muscle groups in your entire body. Get them fat furnaces burning and you will start losing fat and at the same time gaining muscle mass. Be careful not to relapse once you start seeing results, because your body will go back to what it knows, which is your body type.

How would I structure your diet? First off, figure out what your AMR is (do a search on here and you should be able to find the calculation), then try to hit about that many calories or a little bit more every day. Take in at least a gram of protein per body weight, and spread the meals out over the entire day instead of your three meals.. get more fat and carbs in the morning instead of your "protein shake", because at that time your body is completely depleted of resources.

Rinse and repeat.
    LaLa