Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News

3 Time World Champion

Breaking News

Surprise France said it will NOT back military action in Iraq.......after the latest reports from the inspectors.....
    Last edited by Sledgehammer; 02-14-2003 at 01:02 PM.

I still do not understand why they have Veto power. France is still considered a major power/player in the global arena?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

3 Time World Champion
    I think the council feels sorry for them.....I really do not understand it either......

Okay so we have Great Britain, USA, Russia, China, Japan, Germany and France as world powers I think. Or I think they all have veto power in the UN?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

the G6 has veto power in the UN.

China,Russia,United Kingdom,United States and France all have veto power
    Stats:
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 210
    BF: plenty
    Chest: 46"
    Arms:18"
    Thighs:29" now down to 28"
    Calves: 17.5"

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

3 Time World Champion
    I do not think Japan has it...I think Veto is only in US, GB, China, Russia and France .. Gemany does not have veto power....

Where does China and Japan side in this whole "middle eastern" situation. Do they side with the US? It makes it kinda interesting with Korea in the mix as well.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

3 Time World Champion
    Japan is a US ally.....China : "Chinese Foreign Minister Tang Jiaxuan, while urging a political solution, said "Iraq must implement the relevant Security Council resolutions we urge the Iraqi side to recognize fully the importance and urgency of inspections and provide more cooperation in a more proactive way."

He also said the Security Council "has to step up its effort for inspections" and handle the Iraq matter appropriately in order to maintain its credibility.

China has not said they are against going in, but they are supporting the inspections at this time......

Back at it
    We are so totally going to war with the wrong country.

I say attack France and rid Europe of "people of mass annoyance"

3 Time World Champion
    then they would give Iraq the Veto power.....

I say attack France and rid Europe of "people of mass annoyance"

Good Idea........

500 nuclear SLBM's say it might be a bad idea though........LOL
    Last edited by howsertrading; 02-14-2003 at 04:47 PM.
    Stats:

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

90 odd percent of the UK doesnt want the war either, I had to wait an extra 20 minutes for my bus coming back from the gym today because of the protests in the city.

There is another one tommorow in London, apparently surplus a million people are expected to protest. Tony Blair is obviously behind you though, but not all of his party are, and few MPs support it either. They better hold a reffurendum, but I doubt they will at this strage. So much for democracy in the UK, its turning into america.

90 odd percent of the UK doesnt want the war either

I dont consider a poll of housewives and hippies,to be a fair estimation of our desire to kick sadam's ass.After all it is only housewives and hippies that are trawling the streets in the middle of the day, when these polls are done.

Of the 17 people I work with,all but 3-4 are pro-war.There is no way that 90% of the UK are against a war.

It just means that 90% of the people sad enought to do phone poll's for Sky News are against the war.........
    Last edited by howsertrading; 02-14-2003 at 05:02 PM.
    Stats:

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

Well I had to trawl through the bunch of protestors, and let me tell you most of them were not housewifes or hippies. Damn one of them I even thought about making a pass at... she was very fine

But erm, most of the population feel very strongly about it as far as ive heard/seen/observed, and the 90% stat only confirms this.

you were in the middle of an anti-war demonstration dude.Of course most of them were not housewives and hippies.I did'nt say that all protesters were housewives and hippies..........I said that most of the polls are conducted on the high-street in the daytime,which means that it is likely that a certain kind of people with a certain way of thinking are likely to be polled.

As far as the march in London tomorrow,it is expected to be slightly higher in numbers than the "countryside alliance march"which was pro "shooting little furry animals"and unless you consider shooting little furry animals a popular pastime,I would say that similarly these anti-war protesters are in the minority aswell.
    Last edited by howsertrading; 02-14-2003 at 07:35 PM.
    Stats:

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

France is not a nation that is effected by any propaganda or false information, they get the truth and decide there after, ofcourse it is natural for them to back out.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

howsertrading: I just said over a million people didnt I? I didnt make that figure up. My landlady is attending it and is one of the organisers. There has never been this much opposition to a war in UK history.

Rock: Yeah, that might be true. Here in the UK we dont get as much bull**** on TV as USA, but we still get alot. Might explain the UK reaction too.
    Last edited by Exnor; 02-14-2003 at 05:36 PM.

howsertrading: I just said over a million people didnt I

erm.............yes you did.

And over half a million took part in the "countryside alliance march"

Even if you were right about there being over 1 million,which is highly unlikely IMHO(general concensus is just over 500,000,but we will see tomorrow).It is still a tiny fraction of the UK population.
    Last edited by howsertrading; 02-14-2003 at 05:49 PM.
    Stats:

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

Indeed, but never has there been a protest that large before is what im saying, and there has never been this much opposition against a war before. Watch question time for a broad variety of peoples opinions, its quite a good program As you said we shall have to see how it actually turns out tommorow.

Question time is a terrible program,in that it allows people with strong views to volunteer those views.If you wanted a reliable indication of what the public is thinking,you would not have a program that people had to apply to appear on.Added to that,the panel sticks strictly to party politics,and give no real insight into their own views.A program for wannabe intellects,who are not open to any opinion other than the one they held when they walked in.

and less with the condescending winkietuttut
    Last edited by howsertrading; 02-14-2003 at 06:05 PM.
    Stats:

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

Example? I dont think something like that exists. Become a producer

*edit* winkie? I just slap em in, sorry im very used to IRC talk in which smileys are over used anyway
    Last edited by Exnor; 02-14-2003 at 06:07 PM.

Become a producer

maybe I should

I could call it.........

..................the program that allows people with strong views to volunteer those views...................................time

PS.Question time does not have a general cross section of the public.Infact the very opposite is true.When you apply to go on,you will have to fill in a form giving your religious views,your ethnicity,your political views etc.

They would have you believe that this means they can give a good cross representation of people in the UK.However all they actually do is increase the minority positions in the audience,there will be more Afro-carribean people in the audience than is a fair representation of the percentage in society.They will have more UKIP supporters than there should be in terms of percentage.More people with senior managerial positions in society than there should be in relation to working class etc.If question time really wanted to get a good idea of the general publics view as a whole,they would not engineer the audience to balloon the minority perspective like they do.
    Last edited by howsertrading; 02-14-2003 at 07:38 PM.
    Stats:

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

nice title