Thread: What do you all eat when you're sick?

What do you all eat when you're sick?

I don't usually get sick, but I'm i the middle of my yearly cold right now. Consequently, I have a fever and the thought of anything dairy is making me wanna hurl. So, I'm just wondering what you all eat when you are sick to keep your calories up. I don't think I can eat enough chicken soup to keep from losing LBM.

I know....I'm a wimp.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

Steak, pasta, cheese....
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Do that voodoo that he do
    Steak, beans, scrambled eggs... Belial reminded me: underage girls.

"Take your share, then pass it on"

Hmm...I don't think I can eat cheese right now, but scrambled eggs I could probably keep down.

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

soup!
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

ps - i feel your pain.....i picked up a cold on tuesday, or it might jsut be remnants of my flu from 2 weeks ago. not entirely sure.

I know my secret trick, but unless you're into spicy indian food it's prolly not for you.

I love spicy food! ...except for the heartburn. What's your secret?

Patrick Murray.

I eat everything when i'm stick, its an excuse to have a cheat day.

*lol* it will knock out anything.....it's basically a soup made with a bunch of spices called rasam.

You take a bunch of dry spices, like dried chili pepper, black pepper, some mustard, aniseed, some turmeric powder, and other stuff (would have to look at mom's recipe) and about 6 cloves of garlic, and some fresh cilantro - grind it all together, i use a mortar and pestle these days, but in the past i have put it in a heavy duty ziploc and smashed it with a hammer, and then put it in some water, chop up a fresh tomato, put that in there, add a spoon of tamarind paste, and bring it to a boil. Then pour it into a mug and sip on it.

it's really peppery and spicy, and will clea rout your nasal passages and make you sweat too. it usually will knock out a cold. I'm planning on making some tonight, cuz i'm driving to Louisiana for the weekend, and need to be in decent health.

i think the garlic and red pepper help kill whatever cooties you ahve too.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by millertime
    I eat everything when i'm stick, its an excuse to have a cheat day.
    Yup, the same here.

JD77 eat everything you can to keep your calories intake high and prevent catabolism.

Just eat like you would normally eat.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    Manveet ofcourse this would be the best solution, but like JD77 when I`m sick I just can`t eat like usual so I`m looking for "easy to swallow" foods.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Usually whatever sounds appealing enough. When I'm sick, I tend to lose my appetite, so eating anything is a major accomplishment. I tend towards liquid-y stuff like soup and sauces, juice, tea, etc. and yes, spicy stuff does have a good effect on stuffed up sinuses
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 02-13-2003 at 02:37 PM.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I always want to eat, no matter what the situation is!! Sorry I cant be of much help on this topic
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Beef and vegetable soup, and like others recommended spicy. Tabasco (habernero flavor preferably) is a help in getting those nasal cavities open

Originally posted by Tryska
    ps - i feel your pain.....i picked up a cold on tuesday, or it might jsut be remnants of my flu from 2 weeks ago. not entirely sure.

Strange same thing happened to me.
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

chicken noodle soup here.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Wannabebig Member
    Drink alot of fluids espcially Cranberry juice and GreatFruit juice...and eat alot of soup and get lots of rest.
    Overcome...

I feel for you Tryska (and anyone else who has had to go through the flu lately). My recent bout with the flu was thee worst.

Usually when I have a cold I eat spicy foods like spicy chili. Lots of cayenne pepper in it.

Jambalaya is also good.

Grasshoppa
    Yah, I just picked up the flu from a group of my friends too. I've just been stuffing myself full of pasta and drinking the occassional protein shake.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

mmm jambalaya. I actually tried zicam - the homoepathic, zinc-derivative that allegedly shortens a cold, and i must say using it, i definitely started to feel better quickly. Granted, i was laready 2 days into the cold, when i tried it, so i may have jsut been getting ove rit i don't know. As of now it seems my cold is gone....of course spendign the past couple days in new orleans where it was warmer and a little humid might have helped too.

I eat anything, Usually alot higher on carbs then protein on sick days. Lot of whole wheat toast with light margerine. Soup.