The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Takes people's lunch money MONOLITH's Avatar

Do you skip or catch up?

The 'training delay' thread made me think of this question. It's something that I struggle with too frequently.

For those of you that have been lifting awhile, and are set in your ways and routines, if you miss a workout day, due to some real life issue, do you.....

a) pick up where you left off (meaning, if tuesday was back day, and you missed it, do you shift your whole deal and do back on wednesday, so that your whole routine shifts a day)?

OR

b) on wednesday do you double up your workouts to play catch-up?

Being somewhat mentally unstable, like most people who have decided to spend half their life lifting weights , I feel horribly 'guilty' when I miss a workout, and usually will double up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Do you skip or catch up?

Originally posted by MONOLITH

Being somewhat mentally unstable, like most people who have decided to spend half their life lifting weights , I feel horribly 'guilty' when I miss a workout, and usually will double up.
    dont worry im as sick as you
    in my 2 years of lifting i think this has only happened to me one time and i doubled up the next day and spent a week in the shower because i felt so dirty
    excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.

Re: Do you skip or catch up?

Originally posted by MONOLITH

do you.....

a) pick up where you left off

OR

b) double up your workouts to play catch-up?

Yes.

Depends on what kind of split I'm doing and how many days I've missed.

If I'm doing whole-body and I'm only a day or so behind, I pick up where I left off. If I'm more than two or three days behind, I repeat the last workout.

If I'm doing some kind of split and I'm one day behind, I'll just push everything back that one day. If I'm more than two days behind I'll skip the session I was going to do and go to the next one. For example I will skip the upper body workout and keep the lower body workout on schedule. Doing this I'll be doing two lower body workouts in a row.

Sometimes I miss multiple workouts over an extended period of time. I've had little chance to do workouts the last two weeks- due to work two weeks ago and due to setting up a new DSL service at home and at the office last week. Tonight's workout completely sucked, even though I repeated the weights I did last time. In this situation I feel it's better to just start the cycle over completely. I've got three weeks to kill before we go skiing. I'll start from scratch when we get back.

I guess I've done some doubling up as well. Not as often as just putting of my schedule for a day, though.
    Last edited by Delphi; 02-16-2003 at 09:03 PM.

I rarely miss anything. If I have to, I'll be in the gym at 6:30 AM when it opens to get my workout in. Or, I'll be there to get my hour in before they close. There's usually enough time in a day to squeeze in a workout. If I do miss a workout, I make it up. I drop a rest day and push everything ahead one day.
    "We must never take these words too seriously. Words are very important but if we take them too seriously, we destroy everything."

Depends. I play it by ear. If I know I am gonnas miss it, I might skip a rest day and get my work in if I can. If its a couple day, I might just skip it and stay on schedule. If its somethign I real want to work and progress with I'll do it. Also might throw a couple extra exercises on the day I started back with to make up for the day I missed.
    For you people who barely ever miss a day, I wonder if your full of it? If not you need to priroritize your life.

If I miss a session, I just let it go because it could probably use the break.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    you miss a day, you miss a day. just pick up where you left off, no need to double up IMO. It gives your bod a chance to grow extra, just dont make a habit of missed days. (you need those grow days sometimes) anyway, once i'm in the gym hitting it hard, I get irritable if I miss more than 2-3 days
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice