Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you respect someone but not respect their opinions?

Soca King

Can you respect someone but not respect their opinions?

This was something I was thinking about today.Someone told me that they don't and won't ever respect some of my opinions.But that he doesn't have anything against me personally.

Well IMO it's impossible to not respect someone's opinion but still respect that person.Because by not respecting their opinions you are in fact disrespecting them.

I mean I don't agree with some of the opinions of most(if not all of the members)of the board.As I'm sure you do with me.But we still respect each other & that person's opinions.

For example,I(for obvious reasons)do not & will never agree with the opinions of small minded people like the KKK.And although I do not respect them it's not because of their opinions it's because of the lack of respect they show to others who don't follow their philosophy.I will always respect someone's opinion,even if I don't agree with it.However I will not respect someone who will not show me that same respect back.

Maybe he meant accept your opinions???

Soca King
    Originally posted by Ritzol
    Maybe he meant accept your opinions???
    No he says he accepts my right to have an opinion different then his own but that he'll never respect that opinion.

Like I said I feel it's impossible to respect someone but not respect their opinion.

Banned
    a concrete example might make this easier to judge/respond-to

at first blush though, I don't see the respect issue being a zero-sum game

I can think of two people in my life jsut off the top of my head, who I respect greatly as individuals, for their achievements, their values and their contributions, yet I totally don't respect a couple of specific stances/opinions/attitudes they display

the blanket statement your friend has made implies not an issue of respect but of a certain dogmatism or prejudice on HIS part (assuming he's not referring to a universally morally repugnant opinion you may hold)

Soca King
    Originally posted by Callahan
    the blanket statement your friend has made implies not an issue of respect but of a certain dogmatism or prejudice on HIS part (assuming he's not referring to a universally morally repugnant opinion you may hold)
    First off he's not really a friend he's a member of a club/message board I belong to

Secondly his thoughts on my opinions are based off of an extremely small issue.It's not universerally morally repugnant,I just have a different view on this issue.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    It's quite possible. For example there are a couple of people on this very message board, who I respect, but not their opinions. No names (they know who they are). Just because you don't agree with someone's opinion, doesn't mean you can't be friends or at least discuss things in a civil and cordial fashion (thus showing respect for the person). For example when I post a contradictory view, almost always I talk about the post and what is wrong with it. I try to keep name-calling and inflamatory comments out of it. Instead of saying "you're wrong" I usually try to say "that is wrong".

PS. The key word is usually

Re: Can you respect someone but not respect their opinions?

Originally posted by Big Show

Well IMO it's impossible to not respect someone's opinion but still respect that person.Because by not respecting their opinions you are in fact disrespecting them.
    You aren't telling us anything here. This won't make sense until you tell us what you mean by the word "respect." I can think of several different ways to interpret what you just said there.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Soca King
    Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    Just because you don't agree with someone's opinion, doesn't mean you can't be friends or at least discuss things in a civil and cordial fashion (thus showing respect for the person).
    There's a big difference between disagreeing with an opinion & not respecting an opinion.

a)When you disagree this often leads to an intelligent debate
    b)When you don't respect a person's individual opinion you aren't respecting that person.In my experience people who don't respect my opinion are rude,arrogant people.

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    While it is possible, I think it is very difficult for a lot of people to make that separation, especially when talking about very touchy issues (i.e. drugs, politics, relationships, religion, etc). I think that the ability to separate the two is directly proportional to intelligence. In my experience, while truly intelligent people are more strongly opinionated, they are also more understanding of differences. At any rate, if someone is going to judge me based on my opionion on a single issue, I would rather not associate with that person.
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

Does this thread have a point besides arguing pointless semantics and giving me the nigh-irresistible urge to start making smart-ass flames?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Respect is irrelevant.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    Does this thread have a point besides arguing pointless semantics and giving me the nigh-irresistible urge to start making smart-ass flames?
    Powerman, I think you should show a little more respect for people's opinions.
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

if the person isnt really a friend then **** what he thinks anyways

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Very possible.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Can you respect someone but not respect their opinons?

Of course.......married people do it all the time.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I don't respect MY wife. She takes it in the.. Well, I'm gonna stop right there.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Logicly you can respect someone as a person and not for their ideas or opinions. There is more to a person than that. So it is not impossible and is statement is sound.
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

respect is something that should be earned and not just freely given. Its kinda hard to describe it, like ; I am for freedom of speech and accept everyones opinion, but it doesnt mean that i have too respect the opinion to the guy on the street. But im not prejugdical either, i dont jugde off hand.
    Last edited by Centaurion; 02-18-2003 at 01:54 AM.

Soca King

In my honest opinion

If you do not respect someone's opinion, then you simply cannot respect the individual because you are saying their thoughts aren't worth respecting.Afterall differing opinions are what makes us human & is a part of being an individual.

how do you define respect?

Soca King
    In this particular context of what I'm regering to

I'd say respect in the sense of respecting someone's opinion would be to

a)Accept,listen & try to understand the other person's viewpoint
    b)To disagree and state why you disagree but doing it in an adult way without resorting to childish insults.And making the person feel small and stupid.

in that case i agree, but respect to me is somethig more then those things you stated.

You ever think that he may have simply meant "I don't like where you're coming from", rather than being all dramatic (and technical) about the term "respect"?

How about you go ask him.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 02-18-2003 at 09:49 AM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

ask him about it? jesus you mean communicate with him about the problem?????

I think the term respect can only be applied to something tangible, not intangible. You can respect a person, you can respect the power of a tornado, you cannot respect an idea, you can appreciate it, understand it, agree with it, or disagree with it, respect is not a factor. This is all semantics anyway, as others have said. No need to be overly sensitive.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer