Thread: Training Log

Wannabebig Member

Training Log

As I was entering info into my training log today, I was wondering how everyone else does it. I used to just write down my results after every workout onto a piece of paper in my notebook. Now I do it all in Microsoft Word (I created tables).

How do you guys keep your log?

old beat-up notebook>>>WBB journal.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

I get training logs at the local MuscleMag store. lots of room for info plus there are pics off bb'ers inside for some inspiration at the gym

I have a journal here and copy those post to a MS Word file as a backup and I have a MS Excel file where I record just lifts to keep track of them and makes it easier to make a week by week comparison.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

I have a 5x3 notbook. Write it down as do it. I've never felt the need for a full blown log. I do make notes. Like deadlifting yesterday, wrote went snowmobiling this weekend. ect. Also critque on lift, form, hard/easy, when appropriate.
    I did start an excel file to keep track of personal bests, but I rarely look at it.
    I don't think it hurts to enter every little detail of your life, but how often do you use it?

Also for a long time I had a table printed up with my routine and the best lift of each exercise. I entered as I went, and could look at last weeks entry. I liked this it made it easier to compete against myself, enusuring each week is better. Probably make a new up.

Originally posted by NateDogg
    old beat-up notebook>>>WBB journal.
    :withstupi

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    I just buy the cheapest notebook I can find, preferably the 5x3 inchers and keep it in my pocket so I never forget the thing. otherwise I'm writing my workout on anything I can find in my backpack - and that can get so dissorganized. I have another notebook where I am writing down everything I eat, so I have two of those liitle notebooks on me at all times now
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

I write mine on any paper I can find, then I put that in to wbb and abcbodybuilding.com journal sections so I have a backup.
    hardcore

Just a normal notebook. I write down all the exercise names, and then look at last weeks entry to see if it's time to go up in weight, and if it isn't, how many reps I gotta beat to do better then last week.

Strange thing is, most people that go to my gym don't have anything with them. Maybe I've just got a bad memory, but I don't think I could remember how much weight/reps I did last week.. crazy how they can.
    Last edited by Nights; 02-19-2003 at 03:18 PM.
    LaLa

Wannabebig Member
    Hmmm. I'm surprised most people are still using pen/paper. For those using Excel, I never even thought of using that! How do you have it setup though? I know there's also an option to view your worksheet as a pie chart, do you use that too?

I guess I just have too much time on my hands, LOL. Using Word is cool, but I wouldn't mind trying it in Excel.

Send me an email and I will mail you back the file I use (email: edgarv01@yahoo.com)
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Originally posted by Nights
    Strange thing is, most people that go to my gym don't have anything with them. Maybe I've just got a bad memory, but I don't think I could remember how much weight/reps I did last week.. crazy how they can.
    there is no reason to remember. I'm sure most of us have more important things to remember. keeping a log makes it so easy. you open it up, see what you did the last training session and you either increase your work load or number or reps. it makes training all that much easier

:withstupi

I don't carry anything into the gym with me though I just look at my journal before hand and then just go to the gym. I can pretty much keep track of the previous workout in my head and move up from there.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I used to keep a journal, i used to write down what excersise i did, with weight reps and sets. I also used to record what food i eat each day.

But i got bored of that real fast, although i still record what i eat on fitday. I can easily remember what weight i used last workout.
    Asshole.

I can pretty much remember what I did last week. I keep so hopefully I can look at it next year and get a moral boost at the big change. I tired fit day once. Seemed like a hassle. I just go over in my head the protein I've eaten. I am not saying you can't benefit, I just don't bother.

I can barely remember what I did in the previous set of my workout, let alone what I did a week ago. I'd be lost without my little 5x3 notebook.

LOL. I'd be lost without a training partner. I'm constantly asking, "how many was that?"
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx