The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast
    On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar

The Moose Chronicles

Okay, Maybe this will help me keep better track of things for myself and I am open to comments/suggestions/opinions about my workouts. I am posting before pictures here and update them once a month. Here are my stats thus far after a serious cutting phase:

19FEB03

Height 6'2"
    Weight 174
    body fat: 6.8%
    chest: 43
    arms: 15
    forearm: 12.5
    thigh: 21.5
    calf: 15.5
    neck: 15
    waist: 32

Stated working out today: did arms which is my favorite to work:

Standing BB curl:
    95x8
    95x8
    105x8
    105x8

Standing DB curls:
    40x10
    50x10
    50x10

Supine Grip Chins:
    3 sets of 10

Triceps PressDowns:
    130x10
    130x10
    140x10

Comments:
    just wanted to get a feel for things again. Havent done the iron game in 7 months and will take it easy for the first two weeks to get the initial soreness out of the way. Nice good workout today

diet:
    gained 2 lbs this week, will cut back just a little I dont want to gain more than 1-2 a week.

9:00 yogurt with 2 scoops of Whey
    11:00 tuna, 2 slices of bread
    1:00 protein bar, handful nuts
    3:00 grilled chicked breast, i cup rice
    6:00 protein bar, fig newton
    8:00 tuna, brocolli, cauliflower
    10:00 cottage cheese, banana,strawberries
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alke; 07-18-2005 at 01:36 AM. Reason: update

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Welcome to Journal-land. You look a bit skinny for your height, but looking good. What kind of routine are you planning on following?
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Hey Edgar. yea more than a bit skinny LOL but the gym and muscle memory will take care of that. I am eating MUCH better than I was last year and I want to add quality mass. This was what I was doing last year, and prob keep it similiar to that with minor changes.

Monday:
    Back
    Chest
    Abs

Tuesday off

Wed
    Legs
    Biceps
    abs

thursday off

Friday
    Shoulders
    Triceps
    abs

I use a variety of movements and switch the order around everytime. My calves are my weakest area so Ill be focusing on those a lot. My favorite use to be arms, but now that I can do pullups with weights, I can see those being my favorite now.......
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

20FEB03

just checking in to update my food intake. when I post my diet it is for stuff I the day before.

7:00 protein shake (nitro-tech-1/2 cup milk)
    9:00 yogurt, 2 teaspoons wheat germ, 1 slice whole grain bread
    12:00 protein bar, 1 serving carrots
    3:00 salmon, 1 orange
    6:00 protein bar
    8:00 1 slice bread, 1/2lb leanest ground beef, 1 onion, handfull sunflower seeds
    10:00 cottage cheese, strawberries

comments:
    got the expected soreness from initial workout after my leave of absence. My workout partner cant get in to the gym yet, but I wont need a spotter for the first two weeks anyway since Im going light to get the feel of things again.

The first month I will be doing 3 things per bodypart. Two core movements that dont change and the third is something random everytime.
    my training will be:
    chest: BB flat benchpress, DB flat press, ?
    back: deadlift, widegrip pull, ?
    legs: squat, calf raises, ?
    biceps: standing BB curl, standing DB curl, ?
    triceps: close grip bench, dips, ?
    shoulders: standing side laterals, military press - front, ?

I always change the orders and once I get rollin I will have four things I do for each bodypart - not counting those days once a month I do some form of drop set or superset (I love drop setting my arms!)

tomorrow shoulders, Triceps!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

I would add some BB rows on the back routine or maybe some pullups, deads are good, but they dont' work the lats much. Also, for legs, people usually divide them in quads, hams and calves, so it would be better to do 2-3 exercises for quads, 2-3 for hams and 1-2 for calves, otherwise your hams will start lagging compared to your hams.

How many cals do you consume per day and what's your weight?
    Edgar V.

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Agreed with Edgar, I would add some kind of row to that back routine. Your lats really wont take much stress from the deadlifts, and pull-ups are good, but thats not enough. Throw in some supported rows, or bentover rows, or DB rows and youll be set.

Best of luck to you on the journal! Looking lean by the way.

I will definitely be doing some form of rows for the third excercise in back, then when things get going and I have four excersises I will be including a row movement as one of three staples with a fourth excercise being random and only if I feel up to it

Leg day is gonna go through quite a few changes as I was never big into them, but I better start now cause I am starting to look outa proportion. I always did squats but never really dug into them. I will look into breaking them up like you say edgar, (in truth I have never done a ham excersise) so legs/calves are very weak in comparison to my other lifts.....

I appreciate the info guys, Ill let you know what I come up with for legs
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

oh yea - on the question of those cals - right now its similair to what I been eating to cut (from 1500-2000 a day). I am gaining now, (174 from 172 last week) but that is prob something to do with being in the gym again and my body is primed to grow after cutting back so much?.

I will be increasing them starting saturday to 2500 and stay there even if I gain more than 2lbs a week as I probably need it anyway.....once my weight stabilizes at 2500 cals a day I will up to 3000 and take it from there hoping to gain 1-2 a week, upping as needed. Does that sound about right?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

If you're looking to gain weight you should probably slowly increase your calories to reach around 3100 (174 lbs x 18 cals). 2500 would be just around mainteinance (174x15).
    Edgar V.

Good luck on your plans Kenn

21feb03

thanks for stoppin in guys, normally the only people who see my workouts are the few guys who happen to be in the gym when I am.

Todays workout - Shoulders and Triceps

SHOULDERS
    warmup- 20 front raises,side raises and rear lat raises with 10lb DB
    Military Press - 1-2 minute intervals
    95x8
    95x8
    105x8
    95x10

Standing side lateral raises
    3 sets of 12 reps with 15lb DB - 30 sec intervals

Rear lateral raises with cable machine/ one arm at a time
    3 sets of 12 reps set at 20lbs - 30 sec intervals

TRICEPS
    Partial Dips - 3 sets of 10 reps - 1 minute intervals

CGBP - I always stop just short of locking out to keep stress on Tri's
    - 1-2 minute intervals
    95x8
    115x10
    115x10

Rope PullDowns - one arm at a time - 30 sec intervals
    50x12
    50x12
    50x10

ABS
    okay - I been doing abs on the floor as a standard crunch and can do quite a few before getting tired. I did these on a decline bench and can really feel a difference doing them here. I did 25 and got SUCH A BURN! I will continue to a regular crunch but I can tell this is a much better way to exhaust the abs in a shorter time!

Hanging leg Raises - doing the straight legged raises is noticibly harder!
    10 knee raises
    5 straight leg raises, 5 knee raises
    3 straight leg raises, 7 knee raises

Decline Abs - after killing my abs in a normal crunch position so long, the decline position is definitely going to make a difference I think.
    25 warmup
    4 sets of 15 with 10lb plate - OUCH! I got such a burn on this

Comments - started out still pretty sore form arms on wed but as I got into it things went better than I thought. Just goota get through this initial soreness and keep eating. I can already see changes and feel much better after the calorie deficiet I went through and all those pushups and stuff. I would not suggest anyone lower their calories like I did, I lost a LOT of muscle doing that. Im glad to be back in the gym! (on a side note though- This is the first time in my life I can do 100 pushups straight!)

DIET
    7:00 Protein shake
    9:00 2 eggs, 2 slices of bread
    12:00 protein bar, serving carrots
    3:00 1 cup rice, chicken, string cheese
    6:00 protein bar
    8:00 serving black eyed peas - love those!
    10:00 cotage cheese, strawberries

diet is jumpin around 2000-2500 cals right now and will be bumpin it up slowly. doing good right now, feel better overall and can see changes already, I always gained pretty fast. I am starting to get that HUNGRY feeling now that I am stressing the muscles in the gym. saturday is cheat day and I will be loadin on the carb side to take care of that! Been a good week!

Cheers!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

Workout looks pretty good, kenn. About the diet, try to increase your calories about 200 per week to keep fat gains to a minimum and make sure your protein intake is around 1gr per pound of body weight, fill the rest with fats and carbs..
    Edgar V.

Originally posted by Kenn

thanks for stoppin in guys, normally the only people who see my workouts are the few guys who happen to be in the gym when I am.

Yes, but the beauty of an online one is all the spamming!

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

24FEB03

okay, quickrundown on diet last weekend then my workout today:

saturday:
    10:00 2 slices bread, protein shake
    12:00 2 bodybuilder pancakes, milk
    2:00 2 BBP's, milk
    5:00 protein bar
    7:00 tuna, 2 slices bread, 2 Bavarian CremeFilled DONUTS and Chocolate milk! YEA cheat day
    9:00 half a burrito
    11:00 cottage cheese, strawberries

sunday:
    7:00 protein shake
    10:00 yogurt, 2 scoops wheat germ
    12:00 tuna, 2 slices bread
    2:00 2 eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, string cheese
    4:00 protein bar
    6:00 beef jerky, large baked potatoe, milk
    9:00 chicken breast, 2 slices bread
    11:00 cottage, strawberries (getting used to the taste of cottage cheese now, I only started eating it two weeks ago and didnt like it too much)

Workout = Chest and Back:

Deadlifts:
    135x10
    185x8
    205x8
    185x10

HyperExtensions
    3 sets of 10

BB Flatbench Press
    135x10
    165x8
    185x6
    185x6
    165x8

DB Flatbench press
    60x8
    70x8
    80x8 !!!!!!!!
    (not sure where these came from, maybe all those pushups I was doing? I might could have done more but......)

Widegrip PullUps:
    3 sets of 10 (i really wanted to add a few plates to my pullups but I forgot my chain I use!)

1 Arm DB Rows
    35x10
    35x10
    35x10

BB Rows in supine grip
    75x10
    75x10
    75x10

Decline Bench Crunches
    25 with BW
    25 with 10lb weight
    15 with 10lb, then finished out 25 with BW
    10 with 10lb, then finished out 25 with BW
    25 with BW

Hanging knee raises
    3 sets of 5

(knee raises were much harder doing crunches first this time!)

Comments:
    Started out with deads, my hamstrings were SUPER tight! Did hyper's and felt much better, they seemed to stretch them out a little. Legs were sore the whole rest of the workout. Next time I might do hyper's first. Chest routine was really weird, didnt expect to be able to do DB 80's like that.....much less rows were way outa whack!! Im gonna need some help with those.....

I dont like how my hams were so tight on those dead's. Overall my leg's are gonna need a lot of focus, and I will more than likely ask a few questions on the way to bring those up to par with my arms and chest.

for second week back I feel pretty good, and my appetite is coming back so Ill be upping the food intake as I go along!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

The workout looks good, Kenn. The only thing I find a bit odd is that both BB and DB rows seem a bit light compared to your bench. For me, and from what I've read here it is very common, they are usually very close.

About the deads, you might want to do a set or two using only the bar to stretch your hams and loosen them up a bit.
    Edgar V.

25FEB03

General comments:
    Legs sore as f*ck, just have to face the fact that my legs and back are weak as hell and will need some time to play catch up.

Diet:
    23FEB03
    7:00 protein shake
    10:00 yogurt, 2 scoops wheat germ
    12:00 tuna, 2 slices bread
    2:00 2 eggs, broccoli, cauliflower, string cheese
    4:00 protein
    6:00 beef jerky, large potatoe, milk
    9:00 chicken, 2 slices bread

24FEB03
    9:00 protein shake, 2 slices bread
    12:00 Protein Bar
    3:00 1 cup rice, chicken, green beans
    5:00 protein bar, carrots
    7:00 chicken, 2 slices bread
    9:00 can of blackeyed peas

Comments on diet:

Thanks for the help on this edgar! I weighed in at 175 today. That is 1lb gain over last week! I am taking in between 2800-3000 cals right now a day and hope to gain another pound next week, if not: I'll add another 200 cals. It felt like I was eating a LOT of food, and thought I gained more than a pound, but when I weighed in it looks like it is working!

Workout: LEGS and BICEPS

SQUAT
    115x10
    115x10
    115x10

Legs are one sore muther, prob couldave done more but dont want to push it too fast, as sore as they are I didnt want to pull anything. My legs look really skinny in the mirror right now

BB CURL
    95x10
    115x8
    115x6
    120x6

STANDING DB CURL
    50x10
    60x6
    65x2
    60x6

DB curls felt awesome today! way higher than last week. tried the 65's but d*amn they just didnt want to move after two! went back to 60's and did fine again.....guess that is how it goes

SUPINE GRIP CHINS
    BWx10
    +15x8
    +25x5
    +15x6

chins felt really good as well, first time with weights on a chain, I love that!

SEATED CALF RAISE
    4 sets of 50lbs for count of 15 / 30 sec intervals

that was it for legs, was gonna do SLDL's and hack squats but with hams still this tight, dont want to chance anything this early back in the game.

crunches same as last time......

COMMENTS ON WORKOUT:
    cept for legs I felt really motivated this workout, I always liked arms. I dont think I could get any more veins poppin than I had today! I met a friend I used to workout with today, he saw me and flipped! last time he saw me I still had a gut and weighted a lot more. He said I need a new nickname, now he is telling everyone to call me the "shredded moose" since I got so shredded LOL.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

Are your legs sore from last week's workout or from doing deads on Monday?

Strenght on those curls looks pretty good

good job on the diet too, it looks solid, just keep gains around 1 lb per week and you won't be gaining much fat.
    Edgar V.

Yea their sore from deads, that was the first time I used legs for anything, and I guess I should metion I been walking about two hours a day for the last year (30 minutes to school/30minutes back 30minutes to work/30minutes back) so I dont need to do anything for cardio, actually I need to look into taking the bus and cut the walks down a bit.

I never worried about hams or legs strength too much back in the day when I biked everywhere, but all that has changed...........I want to get into mountain biking this summer, I have done road racing, but I think it'll be more fun.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

27FEB03

General comments:
    feeling good today! general soreness is easing up in the legs. I knew there would be intitial pains after such a long break, just forgot how intense it can be LOL. It's all good, wasnt a bad pain, just a INTENSE general soreness. Arms feel beat up from yesterday, but in a good way.

Edgar: thanks for the encouragement on my curls! I feel real good about those.

Diet:

26FEB03
    9:00 protein shake, 2 slices bread, yogurt, 2 scoops wheat germ
    11:00 protein bar
    1:00 grilled salmon, 1 cup rice, green beans (I found a place close to school that has this for $7.00 so I try to eat here whan I can)
    3:00 protein bar milk
    6:00 protein bar, 2 slices bread
    8:00 tuna, milk

lotta protein bars lately, need to pack something to take to school. Got lots of assignments lately to get done, so sleep in general is gonna suffer the next few weeks........
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

diet looks real good man, keep it up!!! soon you will be huge with out the extra fat that goes along with bulking.
    Have you ever heard that protein bars actually have "dead" proteins in them?? They way they are cooked actually breaks down the proteins a certain way so that they cant be absorbed by the body, but they can still be considered proteins by the FDA definition. That is why i only stick to powders. just a thought.
    i am trying to do a lot of research on this topic, so when i find out a good answer, i will let you know. of course it will be very hard because you be able to find the truth because so many conglomerates out there own everything.
    JEEP is a 4 letter word, therefore it must be dirty.

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
    This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...

I am addicted to fast food...

28FEB03

RANDOMNESS:
    Starting to really get into workouts now, not sure why or how I could have stopped in the first place! people at school are starting to notice that i'm workin' out again

SWOLE: thanks for stoopin' in bro'. Yea, Im trying to eat clean, doing good thus far. thanks for the encouragement! It helps putting diet in my journal, It reinforces my motivation. I remember reading bits and pices of stuff about protein bars, which is why I try to limit it to 1 maybe 2 a day to supplement. I usually eat nitro-tech bars, but I tried some other brand yesterday - the cassinieate, collagen kind? that bar really left me full for like 5 hours, Im not doing that again, it got in the way of eating real food.

Diet:
    8:00 protein shake, yogurt, 2 scoops wheat germ, 2 slices bread
    10:00 protein bar, milk
    12:00 2 eggs, 1 slice bread, broccoli, cauliflower
    3:00 grilled salmon, 1 cup rice, green beans
    5:00 protein bar
    9:00 tuna, 2 slices bread, string cheese
    11:00 cottage cheese, strawberries, yogurt

COMMENTS: I also drink like 2 cups coffee, take flax seed oil, a multi-vitamin, and 2 bee pollen capsules everyday, just never mentioned it before but its always a given!

WORKOUT - SHOULDERS and TRI'S

Seated Front BB Military Press
    95x8
    105x8
    115x8
    120x8
    115x8

I do these with little finger on the ring, different than when I bench - which is index finger on ring.

Seated DB Front Raise
    25x8
    35x6
    30x10
    30x10

the 25's felt light, jumped into 35's and they were heavier than I thought they'd be- dropped to 30's and rep'd em' out

Standing side Lateral DB Raise
    4 sets of 20 with 15lb DB's / 30-sec intervals

CGBP
    115x10
    115x10
    135x10
    135x10

Dips
    BWx10
    +15x10
    +25x10
    +35x10
    +35x10 (and again, wheee!!!!!!)

I really dug into these, first time doing weighted dips! felt awesome Arms just got ripped on these!

1 arm ReverseGrip Presses
    50x15
    60x10
    70x10

did these with 30-sec intervals. Only went three sets, my tri's were toast from dips. I plan on going light on dips next time and digging into the CGBP's.

GENERAL COMMENTS:
    Really good workout today, that intense initial sorenessness is going away quickly now, to be replaced by the general fatigue you get after a good workout. starting to have fun now!!!!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

Both workout and diet look very good, Kenn. Keep it up, man
    Edgar V.

03MAR03

General Comments
    Feeling really awesome today, had a great weekend, work sucked as usual but what can you do? Couldnt wait for school to end to get in the gym! Triceps are still sorta raw from friday, I will be switching the friday workout tri's and shoulders) to wednesday (doing legs and bi's on friday), I need fresh tri's and shoulders to dig into chest day!

Edgar Thanks for stoppin by man' I apprec it. looks like were both on target at the moment and making awesome gains

Diet
    Rather than bore you with 3 days of diet, just assume I am stil eating clean. Cheated on saturday with Honey Bar-B-Cue Frito Lay chips and 2 Chocolate Donuts. Hope I can keep this up!

Workout: CHEST and BACK

Deadlift
    115x10, 115x10 (two warm-up sets)
    185x10
    205x8
    225x6
    185x6
    This felt MUCH better than the first week! Hams were tweaked just a bit, but nothing at all like last time. Stretching all through the week seemed to help quite a bit I think. I'm very happy with 225

BB BenchPress
    115x10, 115x10 (two warm-up sets)
    165x8 (index finger on ring)
    185x6 (middle finger on ring)
    165x10 (pinky finger on ring)
    No surprises here, I wanted to go light and dig into the DB presses to see what would happen next! Also decided to start varying grip on each set. I have always used the same grip and thought this would kick-in some new muscle?

DB Press
    70x8
    80x6
    85x4
    85x4
    70x6
    These felt AWESOME! prob would have tried the 90's but for tri's still sore from friday, didnt want to chance it. Really felt good to get the 85's though.

HyperExtensions
    3 sets of 10 reps

BB Rows
    95x10
    115x10
    135x8

All of these felt great! First week out couldnt get more'n 75lbs. My lower back and lats just turned into marshmellow I guess from the long layoff, should be doing good in a few more weeks though!

Wide Grip Pull-Ups
    BWx10
    +15x8
    +25x6
    BWx10
    Pull-Ups wore my a$$ out. After all the other sh*t, my forarms are swiss cheese today.

Static Hold
    85lb DB's for 40 seconds.....those were heavy mofo's, just let em roll right outa my hand when I couldnt hold em' no more. We gots rubber mats at the "Y" here, so only made a sort of THUMP when they fell.......Forearms are still fried typing this!

Crunches / done on decline-bench / 30 sec intervals between sets
    BWx25
    +10x25
    +15x25
    +15x25
    +10x25
    BWx25
    Abs felt good today, made some improvement on these as well.

Comments
    Lotta progress today! I am just about over any intial soreness from getting back in the game and will be diggin' into my workouts now! I am adding speed work to friday evenings as well, I did this last friday and felt really pumped afterwords, which works out great for cheat day on saturday when I can eat more food! I am adding 100 push-ups and 500 crunches (no weighted crunches in the gym on this day). This addition adds 20 minutes (including warm-up) to my evening, as I work out in the morning on fridays. I am shooting for 100 push-ups in a minute. Right now I am at a minute 25 seconds.

BOOYAH!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

Hey kenn im a newbie and i just read your whole journal and F**K your doing extremely well.
    I'm 17 5"11 and have just got into weight training as from january i've made some good games and bulked up quite a bit. I was really skinny and toned b4 i started because i used to do crosscountry for my home town and i played a lot of football.
    Now i've quit the crosscounrty until im on my toning faise and i play football every so often just a kick around.

I'm doing a full body routine just until i start my new job in spain My brother alrdy works there and says i'll love the gym over there.

But until then im doign pullups (weighted aswel) and the rest my diet is cool and well your an influence basically... your tattoo's are pretty cool aswel i've got 9 and going for my tenth 2morrow just a bit more to my dragon on my arm..

anyhow train hard and play hard my friends.. and good luck