The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: genetics?

Hybrid View

genetics?

When people talk about genetics in respect to body building what exactly do they mean? Is it purely the genetics of one's appearance, or do genes affect how fast and how much muscle one can gain? Can everyone gain 1 pound per week if they do everything right?
    Last edited by noahfor123; 02-19-2003 at 03:40 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Genetics are the single biggest factor in determining how much you can lift.

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    Genetics in relation to bodybuilding ususally refers to the persons symmetry and overall development, size, dominant bodyparts, etc etc. Genetics plays the biggest role though in things like symmetry and muscle appearance.. ie. once you get big, how each bodypart will look, etc. Top pros are usually pretty much genetic freaks, because their genetics put all those factors together into one package

I don't really agree that genetics is the biggest factor in how much you can lift. There are alot more factors, such as how hard you train, what style of training you use, what kind and the amount of drugs you use, etc etc etc. While genetics plays a big role in strength and size for natural BBers, even a skinny bastard with comparably terrible genetics can still be turned into a monster by using the right amount of the right drugs.
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Is there anything that indicates how good ones genetics are when it comes to how much muscle one can gain and how fast one can gain it. For instance, one of my friends is just naturally pretty built. He plays no sports and has never played sports, and it's not just low bodyfat. I would think that that is indicative of good genetics, whereas my skinny undeveloped almost pre-pubesent looking body would indicate bad genetics. Am I totaly wrong? Can I still gain a pound of muscle a week if I do everything right. I use a pound to represent the amount that someone that has a little above average genetics can gain per week.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    Thats a pretty good example of a difference in genetics actually.. yhour mate has good genetics, you don't unfortunately, unless hes doing something that you don't see or something.. You cans till make good gains, I don't think a pound a week, or as much as someone with superior genetics, but you can still make the gains if you work hard enough
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

That's sort of discouraging, knowing that someone else can work less and gain more. Although I was exaggerating a bit on the state of my body, it is obvious to me that I'm not overflowing with testosterone.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

I dont personally think genetics defines if you can build up fast or not. I think genetics will mainly affect the look of your developed muscle, and how it grows.

The size of your bones for example are a big factor in making people big, big bones with lots of muscle will always be bigger than small bones and big muscles, its just which way you are born.

If you work out your bodys levels, (eg, how fast you burn off cals, how much you eat, how much work you need to do to ache the next day etc.) I think you can gain muscle as fast as the next person. The rate of your metabolism will be a big defining factor in how much weight you can gain. Generally skinny people have a fast metablism, so need to eat alot more than they usually do to gain weight of any kind.

And Shankerr, you said a skinny guy can be big if he takes the right amount and type of drugs. Who said you need drugs? A skinny guy can turn into a hefty muscley beast without taking any kind of drugs at all. It just takes longer, and if you ask me can be a lot more healthy. Patience is a virtue! Hard work pays off.

I personally plan to do all natural BB and get to my ideal state by the time im 25 (thats 5.5 years). The only suppliment I am taking is multi vitamins, and soonish ill prolly start drinking some shakes, right now I just drink natural stuff high in protien, such as milk.

All of those factors are regulated genetically.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Exnor
    Generally skinny people have a fast metablism, so need to eat alot more than they usually do to gain weight of any kind.

Could this be the only reason I am naturally less muscular? If it possible for any person to gain as fast as any other person is really what I want to know. I know it has already been sort of answered in this thread, and I thank you for your response, but I'm still not clear.

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    All of those factors are regulated genetically.
    D'oh

Originally posted by noahfor123

Could this be the only reason I am naturally less muscular? If it possible for any person to gain as fast as any other person is really what I want to know. I know it has already been sort of answered in this thread, and I thank you for your response, but I'm still not clear.
    Yeah it could well be, amoungst other things, such as what you do day to day - what kind of demand you put on your bodys muscles in normal activities.

Yes, its possible. If you want to gain fast, you have to try to outrun your metabolism, and give your body more than it needs, so it stores it. I am the same, I have to eat large amounts of food to gain weight, if I can manage it, so can you.

Think natural test levels have a lot to do with it to which are controlled genetically... someone with high test levels will be naturally more ripped an athletic then someone who doesnt ..

is there anyway to test ones testosterone levels?

They can be tested by a doctor... but I think the majority of people who have trouble gaining weight don't have a good diet. I thought for the longest time I was a "hardgainer" but i finally broke down, figured out my daily caloric requirements and really hit my diet hard and I gained about 10 pounds in about 4 months. Just my$0.02
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.