Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this overtraining???

Wanna Be Big

Is this overtraining???

Below is my split, does this seem like overtraining? (all exercises are done with 3 sets and all sets are done with 8-10 reps)

Days 1 & 4
    Chest
    Flat Press
    Incline Press
    Flyes
    Triceps
    Cable Pressdown
    Skullcrushers
    Shoulders
    Seated dumbbell press
    Lateral Raise
    Bent over lateral raise

Days 2 & 5
    Legs
    Squat
    Leg Press
    Seated Hamstring Curl
    Lying Hamstring Curl
    Calf Raise
    Back
    Wide grip pulldowns
    Cable Low Row
    Wide grip seated machine rows

Biceps
    Standing Barbell Curl
    Hammercurl

Days 3, 6, 7: Rest

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Yes.

(Reasons why in a forthcoming post. )

yes, yes and ummm... yes.
    i do less volume for each bodypart and work them once a week. at first it may seem that you are not overtraining, but your body will feel it soon and you will get burnt out and you will not feel like lifting, or you will be "going through the motions".
    are you taking any supplements to speed recovery?? even with supps, you are not allowing your body enough time to recover.
    Do YOU feel it is overtraining?
    JEEP is a 4 letter word, therefore it must be dirty.

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
    This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...

I am addicted to fast food...

how long are you at the gym for???

This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...

First, I want to say that I'm all for training body parts twice a week.

WIth that in mind, however--

Goddamn.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Wanna Be Big
    The only supplements I take are whey protein, multivitamin/multimineral and fish oil. I am in the gym for 60 minutes maximum

I think doing all the same muscle groups twice a week is too much, it would be for me anyway.

I have devised a weekly alternating muscle group workout adapted from a workout plan made by an experienced BB friend. It works on the some of the same muscle groups in 1 week, but alternates for the next week. It's working for me well and im making some nice progress.

Click here if you want to see it.

Originally posted by J-Bone
    The only supplements I take are whey protein, multivitamin/multimineral and fish oil. I am in the gym for 60 minutes maximum
    Ummm... One hour? How long is your rest period between sets, 30 seconds? It takes me about 50-60 minuted depending how busy it is and how lazy i am feeling just to do the chest workout you described.... Plus tri's and shoulders?? Its ok to be in the gym for a while, but it might get to ya.
    The calvinator has a really good split for workouts. I would check his journal, but i dont think he has looked at it in a long time or responded to it.
    Last edited by SWOLE; 02-18-2003 at 12:36 PM.

Wanna Be Big
    I train very intensly, therefore i rest for about 45 seconds to 1 minute between sets. I have another question. I posted a question before that asked if 2 days was a long enough time period for a muscle to rest and the overwhelming majority said "yes". So how is my split overtraining if each muscle gets 2 days rest during the week and then 3 days rest before it gets worked the next week?

You don't mention how many sets per bodypart you do. If you do 1 or 2 sets per exercise, seems good to me. Listen to your body.

Good advise from El Kelio.

Wanna Be Big
    Yes, I already said that I do 3 sets for each exercise. For example if you look at my chest workout I do 3 exercises which would make a total of 9 sets for my chest.

Wanna Be Big
    one more thing is that the split that is under dispute is one that I got from Muscle & Fitness magazine. The split was given in an article which was written by a professional bodybuilder who used the split himself for his first couple years of training and gained 40 lbs. of muscle on it
    Stats:
    5'10" 150lbs. 1RM as of 5/15/03......
    Bench 210
    Squat 280

If you don't invest much, then losing doesn't hurt and winning isn't very exciting.

The difference is almost all mental. The top players just hate to lose. A champion hates to lose more than they like to win.

Once you accept defeat, it becomes easy to lose. If defeat comes take it and face it, but don't accept it.

99% of failures come from people who practice the habit of making excuses.

A Fortnight Dead
    DO NOT LISTEN TO MUSCLE MAGS!
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Wanna Be Big
    so you're telling me not to listen to muscle magazines? Then you tell me where else people are going to get information and learn how to lift efficiently and properly. I don't just read any old magazine. A lot of the articles in Muscle & Fitness magazine are written by professionals, people who must know a thing or two about bodybuilding to make a living out of it. People like Arnold Schwarzenager, Ronnie Coleman, Nassar El Sontaby and more. No offense to anyone, but I would trust advice coming from these guys before I trusted advice from anybody else in this forum. They are just more knowledgable.
    Stats:
    Bench 210
    Squat 280

If you don't invest much, then losing doesn't hurt and winning isn't very exciting.

The difference is almost all mental. The top players just hate to lose. A champion hates to lose more than they like to win.

Once you accept defeat, it becomes easy to lose. If defeat comes take it and face it, but don't accept it.

Yeah, you're right man.

Just stick with it, and you'll teach us when you look like they do
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

A lot of the articles in Muscle & Fitness magazine are written by professionals, people who must know a thing or two about bodybuilding to make a living out of it. People like Arnold Schwarzenager, Ronnie Coleman, Nassar El Sontaby and more. No offense to anyone, but I would trust advice coming from these guys before I trusted advice from anybody else in this forum. They are just more knowledgable.

Dude, I can't believe you just said that. Prepare for massive flameage.

so you're telling me not to listen to muscle magazines?
    That's EXACTLY what we're telling you. I'd trust the guys on this board much more than I trust any supplement peddling whore.

Wanna Be Big
    Saint Patrick,
    So you are telling me that it's ok for everyone else on this board to take glutamine, creatine, whey protein etc. as supplements, but not professional bodybuilders. I'm getting the impression that all the people who have been involved in this thread seem to think that anybody (besides you all) who has worked hard to obtain an oustanding body has done it all on supplements and with less work. I am not saying that all bodybuilders are clean of 'roids, but I am damn sure there are some who don't use them and have worked just as hard as everyone else on this board to be where they are today.
    Stats:
    Bench 210
    Squat 280

LOL, dude you are missing the point.

Those magazines are filled with nothing but guys trying to sell you Muscletech products. When the a 200page magazine devouts 150 to ads and 50 to training, diet, and supplements, what exactly do you think they are really trying to do?

Supplements aren't the problem. Its them trying to convince people that supplements are the be all and end all that's the problem.

Those magazines are glorified ads. I'd believe the people on this board more for the simple fact that they really are trying to help you and not just trying to sell you something.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Wannabebig Member
    the reason you dont listen to the guys in mags is because most are blessed with good genetics, on roids and could put on a pound of muscle on their forarm just scratching their ass. not that there is not some good stuff in there, but lets face it, if they kept putting out the same thing (basic **** that works) people would get tired of reading it, so they throw in crazy routiens and a newbee picks it up and is like " i think i will try that" however they would be better off doing the basics.

Wanna Be Big
    HomeYield,
    I agree with you 100%. Much of the magazine is devoted to ads, but I don't pay any attention to them because I know that it is bull**** and over half the statements aren't confirmed by the FDA. The point I am getting at is that not every professional bodybuilder is a 'roid popping freak. And I don't pay attention to the ads, just the articles don't have to do with advertising. The articles that are just written to inform the uninformed.
    Stats:
    Bench 210
    Squat 280

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    HomeYield,
    The point I am getting at is that not every professional bodybuilder is a 'roid popping freak.
    LOL, are you saying there's a single IFBB pro that doesn't use a considerable amount of roids?

And I don't pay attention to the ads, just the articles don't have to do with advertising. The articles that are just written to inform the uninformed.
    No, they're writen by ghost writers to further uninform the uninformed.
    Last edited by restless; 02-19-2003 at 02:19 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    All the bodybuilders you listed, used/use massive amounts of drugs. The IBBF pros are the worst abusers. (BTW it is humanly impossible to have 3-4 percent bodyfat and weight three hundred pounds if you are not on 'roids.) The routines in FLEX and M&F are ghost written. They are not written by the pros most of whom cannot string a coherent sentence together. Go to the Olympia and listen to Coleman give his acceptance speech. Or talk to a number of any others. Some exceptions are Shawn Ray, and of of course Arnold, but these are the exceptions, not the rule. Now that I've vented... here's my take on your training.

You are overtraining, especially arms. Your triceps get worked from chest exercises and biceps get worked from back. So you are hitting them with way too much volume and twice a week to boot on top of that. But hey what do I (and the other people on this board know)? After all we are not IBBF pros.tuttut
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 02-19-2003 at 06:28 AM.

Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    The routines in FLEX and M&F are ghost written. They are not written by the pros most of whom cannot string a coherent sentence together.
    LMAO.

So true. So SAD, but soooo TRUE.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx