The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

working out muscle groups once a week? Anyone who does this please help!

I have been training my muscles twice a week in the past and i had pretty good results. Now im thinking of working the bodypart really good and working it once a week. To anyone who does his do you get good results? and do you think its better then trainng it twice a week? Im just thinking ill be givng the muscles to much rest and they wont remember what they did in the last training session.what do yall think? thanks-

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do that voodoo that he do
    Most people here train once per week.

As far as the muscles "forgetting what happened (paraphrasing" that's not quite it.

However, it does give a great deal more recovery time. If you work with very high intensity (a mathematical figure, not necessarily a psychological one) then you may need a week or more to recover.

Read around on the site, you'll find all kinds of great info about this sort of business!

I thought I remembered reading that once a week means more mass, while twice a week means more strength...is this necessarily true? If so, if you're already pretty actice, would it be a better idea to work muscles twice a work than once a week?

Also, what's "the deal" with working unrelated muscle groups back-to-back as far as recovery goes? Is it much better to give your body a day's rest before doing an intense workout of anything? Thanks.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 02-21-2003 at 06:55 PM.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Originally posted by Bizatch
    I thought I remembered reading that once a week means more mass, while twice a week means more strength...is this necessarily true? If so, if you're already pretty actice, would it be a better idea to work muscles twice a work than once a week?

Also, what's "the deal" with working unrelated muscle groups back-to-back as far as recovery goes? Is it much better to give your body a day's rest before doing an intense workout of anything? Thanks.
    Those are both widely disputed and non-definite topics. You can get stronger lifting two, three times per week, or once. You can get bigger in similar ways.

It depends upon how you lift. There are as many styles of lifting as there are people, basically.

Unrelated muscle groups can usually be worked out on consecutive days, to a point. Two or three days in a row is usually not a big deal, but it's good to get a day off or two a week to hasten overall healing. Many people make great gains lifting three times per week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday).

I'm growing like gangbusters on a four day per week plan (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday) with every other Sunday thrown in.

It depends on your intensity and recovery ability.

One thing to keep in mind is even though your working out each bodypart once a week you probably hitting indirectly on another day, depending on your split. If you do back/tris,chest/bi, and legs, your hitting bis and tris twice. Personally I think you can make gains twice a week, when doing something specific, ie bench, sqaut, but to hit the whole body once a work seems good. But if you been doing good, why change?

Wannabebig Member
    I tried the "twice a week" thing and I burned out to quick. My diet doesn't support that much of a work load. I'm back to hitting everything once a week and it feels better to me.
    I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Hey, whatever you decide to do give it while to work or not work. Once you find something that works, use the if it aint broke dont fix it theory. I usualy go three months on a routine before making a decision either way.

after a few years of this you will discover what works best and be able to fine tune your workouts to how your own body responds to things. Each persons body is a machine and adapts differently to different types of stress......I been at it 3 years off/on (more off than on) and got a few things down but Im a long way from where I want to be!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice