The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    BIG BOI

box squats question...

is it just like sittin on the toilet? as funny as it sounds its just like that right? u sit back onto the box... and i know sometimes after i do hamstrings and im sore when i go to sit on the toilet i can i fall down onto it cause my hams are 2 sore which would mean thats the correct way to sit on a box when box squating right???

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

BIG BOI
    Originally posted by Workhorse
    sounds good to me... just make sure you don't actually sit on it... go down until to lightly touch it and then go back up... don't use it as a rest spot. Don't laugh people, I saw a guy doin' it at the gym... one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen.
    hmmm... i thought i was suppose to sit but stay tight? so your sayin just go down till i feel it pause and then explode off?

Workhorse -

If you are using box squats as we do training Westside, you DO sit on the box, release your hip flexors, then explode off.

I would look just like the guy you were laughing at.

yes, you sit back on the box. Try to keep your shins vertical.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Make sure it's a smooth almost sliding movement on to the box so that you don't injure your spine by sitting down too hard. Once you feel all your wieght resting on the box start your ascent all in one smooth movement. I disagree with the "lightly touch" comment - you want your momentum stopped just for a second that will make the positive upward movement work your hams and glutes that much harder.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

BIG BOI
    k paul... how do u release the flexors? i mean thats one of the things i never got... ive ben praticing with only body weight and i have no idea wha u mean... can u fell me in?

thanks

Sit on the box. Keep your abs tight and your arch, then release your hip flexors - essentially release your quads, I guess is the best way i can think of to explain it, then explode off the box, drivgin your hips forward and your head back.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

BIG BOI
    Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    Sit on the box. Keep your abs tight and your arch, then release your hip flexors - essentially release your quads, I guess is the best way i can think of to explain it, then explode off the box, drivgin your hips forward and your head back.
    ooooooooooooooooooooooo...got cha thanks

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    In overly exaggerated terms, would this mean picking your feet up off the ground? I'm not saying to do that but is that kind of what you mean?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    No, keep the feet planted.

Listen to Paul. No touch and go and no bounce. Sit back, release, then drive with everything you got. Hardest way to squat and it is excellent for building the hips, glutes, hams, low back, etc. All the big squatting muscles.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN
    No, keep the feet planted.

Listen to Paul. No touch and go and no bounce. Sit back, release, then drive with everything you got. Hardest way to squat and it is excellent for building the hips, glutes, hams, low back, etc. All the big squatting muscles.
    That's what I meant by overly exaggerated terms. You don't actually bring your feet up but you've sat back enough on the box to release enough tension that you could? I guess I'm trying to gauge just how much to sit back or how much tension is released when you actually sit down. Sorry if it sounds a little stupid but I've seen and heard so many different versions I'm just trying to get a clear exact answer.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Good thread, I was gonna ask a similar question but this answered it for me!

Box squats sound harder to do than regular squats..........
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Much harder.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

The best thing about box squats is that you know you've gone low enough, no guess work. And there is no way to bounce at the bottom like I occasionally find myself doing on regular squats. I think a lot of people think of the box as sort of "training wheels" for regular squats - not so. I personally think the box squat is the best all around squat you can do.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

Definately sit back as far as possible, and definately pause on the box. And yes, it is way harder to do box squats than regular squats. You have no momentum coming off the box. Basically coming up from a dead stop, similar to the movement of a deadlift.

I would strongly recommend anyone doing below or at parallel box squats to get some breifs, or wear a squat suit with the straps down. Going very wide as you should when box squatting is very rough on the hips if you are going RAW.

It is also good on occasion to bring the feet in closer and do a very low box squat, maybe 4 inches or more below your regular box squat height. I do these on accessory night time to time.

B.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    So do you think it is best to start box squats on a smith machine if youve never done them before?

I dont want to sit back and end up with momentum carrying me backward

Either way, I wont be doing a lot of weight, and was thinking of alternating these with regular squats........
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Absolutely not.

Using box squats depends on your goals.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.