The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member
    I hate it when people interrupt my workout. I workout at home, so my pet peeves are when there are telephone calls or people coming down to the basement.

Just like to know what your pet peeves are during a workout. There are people or things that happens that annoy you or interupt your workout, whether it's at home or the gym! People who socialize, train improperly, not cleaning the cardio machine, anything!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Not being able to walk down the stairs on leg day. Thank god for handle rails.
    Lift To Live

I 'd have to agree with people interrupting my workout being the biggest peeve of mine too!

I ended up switching gyms so that I didn't know as many people and it wasn't such a social club.
    No matter what I tried , such as wearing my walkman, this one moron would actually stand there for 5 min while I was stretching etc. and doing some abs. I just kept thinking that if I kept on crunching, he would eventually give up and leave. Boy was I wrong, and my abs were tired.
    Finally I had to end up telling him to bugger off.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I workout at home also. My biggest pet peave is that it gets friggin freezing in my basement in the winter and I'm freezing my cajones off!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Those bulky powerlifters who think they are the sh!t and hang out in groups and constantly do their 1 rep deadlift sets. They think they own the place and think they look good as well even though their bodyfat is above 20.

My gyms music..

Do I really want to listen to Britanny Spears whilst deadlifting ?

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by Hulk
    My gyms music..

Do I really want to listen to Britanny Spears whilst deadlifting ?
    i don't know what you are talking about hulk, BUT I SURE DO!!!! . my gym actually plays britney and even worse crap. like 80's music, like "she blinded me with science". and i also hate how some guys stay on the bench for like an hour and do like 15 sets for flat bench. i hate the guys that do bench, go do like 3 other exercises, and come back to the bench while hogging it the whole time. also, middle aged men that walk around like they're impressing someone, trying to keep in their gut, while i can lift more than them and i'm 16. guys that use crap form... teens that do pec deck and barbell curls all day long, guys that talk to you in the middle of your set, and any guy that looks like hulk!!!!!

Wannabebig Member
    People who insist on bringing mobile phones into the gym!

My gym has MTV

[Edited by Shadowman on 01-30-2001 at 05:31 AM]

bone crusher
    "I don't wanna do anything but concentration curls cause i might hurt myself..." This is a statement uttered recently by a former workout partner of mine!

I also know a guy whom all he does is come and bench and he calls that a workout... I'd like to smoke what he has been...

Originally posted by Savannah
    this one moron would actually stand there for 5 min while I was stretching etc. and doing some abs. I just kept thinking that if I kept on crunching, he would eventually give up and leave. Boy was I wrong, and my abs were tired.
    Finally I had to end up telling him to bugger off.
    With a face and figure like yours Sav i'm not suprised blokes follow you. Why, I'd walk the 3000 miles just to...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Shut up n Lift!!!
    people interupting me when i'm in complete focus . Sense i train in my garage when a family member comes in and truns the radio down saying its to loud. OR when they just come in to bother me (when my cousins are over they do it cuz they know i hate being bothered). OR another on i hate is when after a work my legs hard i cant walk after or cant get up after i sit down hehe.

i hate when i feel really strong and break a new PR on an exercise, then when i put like 5 extra pounds on the bar i only get like a half a rep...i hate that, ruins the whole mood.

This guy last night, his waistline was bigger than his inseam, wore a shirt that he fit in 20 yrs ago but thought he still did....he had 6-45lb plates on flat bench. He did 2 things that cracked most of the people in the gym. This guy did not even bring the bar anywhere close to his chest, I'm talking about maybe 20 degree angle on his elbow before bringing it back up!!!! He did about 10 reps while grunting, "Oh, baby!" after every one of them. Of course, when he was done with the grueling set he sat up and looked around to see how much attention he got.

So annoying that it was FUNNY!!!!!
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

Blokes in my gym tell you all about what they're going to do, but never actually get round to doing it!

They say they'll do their chest for a few sets then abs, then they'll have a nice long sauna.

Most of the time they skip the workout and have the sauna!

Honestly, if they just put into practice what they know then they'll probably be quite big!
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Oh, it doesn't really bother me though....entertains me more than anything...

Just a thought here, I saw this identical post on mm.com a few weeks ago and I feel the same about it here as I did there. I think it is childish and has nothing to do with training advice, philosophy etc. and shouldn't be posted on this site. Maybe in the general chat section, but not in this section. This is my opinion only.

One more thing, these are the kind of posts that really bring down the quality of the site (i.e. mm.com).

Yeah Muscle Blaster!!! What we're you thinking!!!just joking

Originally posted by chris mason
    One more thing, these are the kind of posts that really bring down the quality of the site (i.e. mm.com).

I think you're wrong. This post in no way involved cursing , flaming, or sex (ala elite, the worst board on the net.)

It was aimed to talk about what disrupts your workout...and that seems like it has a whole lot to do with training to me....

If it bothers you, don't read it. Muscle Blaster wanted to know your what bothered you when training, not when reading wannabebig.com. There's no need to complain, if no rules are being broken. Negative attitudes are what bring down the quality of the site.

BTW, my pet peeve is when (as mentioned before) people flap their mouths when I'm trying to concentrate...

Your opinion vs. my opinion.

I think this kind of post brings out the whining, adolescent in people. This whole post is people whining about what they don't "like". This post will produce no postive information about "training". Again, a post like this belongs in the general chat section. Off of the topic posts like this are one of the reasons that mm.com has gone to the pits.

I will, however, take your advice and no longer read this particular post.

[Edited by chris mason on 01-31-2001 at 12:09 PM]

Take it easy Chris.

I do agree with Chris on this one guys. Even though we all do have a lot pet peeves about what goes on in the gym, we should be careful as to where we post stuff like this. We don't want the training forum to be cluttered with posts that aren't relative to what we as bb's are trying to accomplish. Just remember, musclemag didn't go down the tubes in one shot either, it took a lot of nonpertinent posts to drag it down. I'm not flaming by any means, just giving my perspective.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

Originally posted by just_a_pup
    We don't want the training forum to be cluttered with posts that aren't relative to what we as bb's are trying to accomplish. .
    I don't want to beat this into the ground, however; If
    we're distracted during our workouts, to the point where we can't get the best mind-muscle connection, that's pretty much relative to what we're trying to accomplish.

If the post had been about wrestling, or some other nonsense, I'd be the first in line to move it into chat.

Don't worry. This place isn't going to turn into mm.com, or even worse, elite.

Guys, we'll occasionally have an off topic post (or semi-off topic post) here, it happens.

This will NOT become Elite or MM.com.

With few exeptions, all of the discussions here have been great.

Wannabebig Member
    Whether or not this post should be here, I hate when I walk away from a machine or bench or whatever for 1 min (usually to get a drink) and come back to someone else using it. They don't even ask or anything! They act like the gym is theirs and everyone else just gets in their way.