Thread: starting deadlift

Hybrid View

starting deadlift

My sticking point on deadlifts is getting it moving, if I get it off the ground I am ok. Is there anything to do to work on this? Form?
    I changed my form a little bit. Starting with my butt lower, below parallel so my legs are driving up when I start to pull the weight. I used to start with my butt kind of high, not quite a stiff leg but around parallel. Just wondering what everything thought.
    Last edited by Berserker; 02-24-2003 at 04:18 PM.

Try doing them from a podium or using smaller plates. Snatch deads from a podium are supposed to be good for that too.
    Last edited by Shane; 02-24-2003 at 06:27 PM.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Maybe you need more back work. Dimel Deads for high reps, Glute ham raises, reverse hypers, romanian deadlifts, and sldl's are all good lifts. I usually have my butt low and drive up with my hams and lower back.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Getting a deadlift off the floor is mostly lower back. If you are trying to squat up your deadlift you aren't pulling to your best ability. Sounds like your form needs work. Also, you need to rip the bar off the floor. Many people waste too much time at the bottom. I get down there and grab it and get moving. Very fast.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

How do you not squat a deadlift. It seems like unless my back is bent I have to use my legs.
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

Latman-you may be right I spend to much time at the bottom. I think I pyche myself out. Last couple times I started with my butt lower, I don't think I was squatting it up, I think it was more getting moving and momentum. I am sure my form could use work, I am pretty much self taught.
    I guess what I am curious is how far down you crotch? Also I've heard conflicting things about how close to the body. I read your shoulders should be behind the bar. Mine are maybe above or a little in front.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

beercan
    It depends on the person, how flexible they are, and how they're comfortable. I start very low, some people start very high. The important part is to explode.....you can watch a good dead on slo mo and it still looks fast....

Latman is right about wasting time at the bottom, your stretch reflex only lasts so long...if you were allowed to bounce the bar off your chest in a meet you'd do it....gripping and ripping is the same thing, there's no rule in the dead saying you have to pause at the bottom.

Everyone's shoulders should be behind the bar, and everyone should be pulling back. The bar in relation to the shins doesn't really matter as long as you pull back.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."