The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Career guidance

Hybrid View

The Tuna Tempter

Career guidance

I need some help. I'm doing a course at uni involving communications, electronics, software systems and computer systems. It was my first day today, and it seems as though theres not much computer related work in the course. There is a bit of c++ programming coming up later in the year, but I want the majority of the course to be about computers. I'm now having doubts about this course, and I'm thinking about trying to get into Computer Science.

If any of you guys have done Computer Science, I'd like to hear your thoughts about it, and if any of you work as a programmer, tell me how you like your job...

Thanks
    -Tank
    Life's too short to be small

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It depends exactly what you want to do. If you want to be a hardcore computer programmer go for electric engineering. If you want to be a sys admin or network guy go for a MIS degree.
    With the tech field sinking in the toilet, its not the best time to get a CS degree.

The Tuna Tempter
    I want to program computers mainly. But I also have an interest in electronics, so that's why I picked the course I did, thinking it would lead to a more comprehensive coverage of computer programming.

Either way, if I choose to switch to Computer Science, or stay in my engineering course, I will learn programming. It's just that in my current course, the type of programming is centred around embedded systems, robots, and stuff like that. I want to be able to create programs for PC's, with embedded system programming maybe as a backup not as primary objective in my career.

Why do you say the tech field is sinking?

-Tank

The tech market has been kind of flooded since the big web boom back when ebay and those others hit the 'net. Its tougher to find a job because there are so many people out there with work experience. Some might not a degree in computers but they work experience and that's always valuable.

I do some programming but I also deal with networks and 2nd and 3rd level tech support. I got my degree in computer engineering. I was an electrical engineer to begin with but decided to change over because I didn't enjoy all the electrical stuff. I didn't go into compute science because of the reason millertime mentioned. The tech field isn't quite the best place to be unless you have something substantial to back it up.

I would stick with the engineering route. Engineers have a good strong base from which they can do just about anything. Stick it out but maybe take some other courses if you get the oppurtunity just to broaden your horizons.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

The Tuna Tempter
    Originally posted by HomeYield
    The tech market has been kind of flooded since the big web boom back when ebay and those others hit the 'net. Its tougher to find a job because there are so many people out there with work experience. Some might not a degree in computers but they work experience and that's always valuable.

I do some programming but I also deal with networks and 2nd and 3rd level tech support. I got my degree in computer engineering. I was an electrical engineer to begin with but decided to change over because I didn't enjoy all the electrical stuff. I didn't go into compute science because of the reason millertime mentioned. The tech field isn't quite the best place to be unless you have something substantial to back it up.

I would stick with the engineering route. Engineers have a good strong base from which they can do just about anything. Stick it out but maybe take some other courses if you get the oppurtunity just to broaden your horizons.

You're definitely right HY, you should always have a plan B. I do like the engineering course I'm in at the moment, but I'd prefer to get into something that will teach me specifically about PC's and how to program them, hence my thoughts about changing intp Comp Sci.

With your engineering degree, are you able to gain employment as a computer programmer?
    From what I was told by the engineering co-ordinator, my course will lead to device programming, and not so much PC applications programming.
    My main concern at the moment is to try and find out specifically what kind of jobs this engineering course will lead me to. If I were to find out that I am still able to gain employment as a PC programmer through an engineering degree I will most probably consider staying in this course.

-Tank

Its definitely possible. I don't know how the courses are laid out at your school but we could take a variety of courses to fulfill our major requirements and then my electives (free course to fill up hours) I took programming classes instead of art or music. Even with an engineering degree if you know programming you can put it on your resume. You might not get started directly in programming to begin with but you can eventually work your way over into it. That's sort of the direction I'm heading right now. The job I took could lead me there although I'm not doing it right now.

It might also be a good idea just to do some learning on your own on the side. There are a few online C and C++ tutorials. There are free compilers you can get to help you run the programs you create. Those are good languages to start with then move on to Java and Visual Basic. IMO of course.

Do you know any linux? Mandrake is free if you have the time to download it and it comes with compilers for almost every language except VB.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

The Tuna Tempter
    Its definitely possible. I don't know how the courses are laid out at your school but we could take a variety of courses to fulfill our major requirements and then my electives (free course to fill up hours) I took programming classes instead of art or music. Even with an engineering degree if you know programming you can put it on your resume. You might not get started directly in programming to begin with but you can eventually work your way over into it. That's sort of the direction I'm heading right now. The job I took could lead me there although I'm not doing it right now.

Yeh I'm not sure how the later years of my course work out. But I'm sure that I'd be able to pick some free electives. In that case I will be choose programming subjects.
    Even if i don't get enough programming practice from this course, I think I could probably spend another 2-3 years or so at uni and do a CS degree. CS would have some common subjects with Electrical/Computer Systems Engineering, right? So I could apply for exemptions...allow me to complete the CS degree in hopefully 2-3 years if i choose to do so.

Another alternative is to do a TAFE course (TAFE is like uni, it's a part of the tertiary education system. But, Uni is more highly regarded than TAFE. Uni costs like $5000 a year, whereas TAFE costs no more than $1000 a year). But yeh....I can always do one of them courses to expand my programming knowledge eh...

It might also be a good idea just to do some learning on your own on the side. There are a few online C and C++ tutorials. There are free compilers you can get to help you run the programs you create. Those are good languages to start with then move on to Java and Visual Basic. IMO of course.

I've tried teaching myself some Qbasic a few years back, and some Flash ActionScript and Javascript about a year and a half ago. I only learnt the basics...which I have now forgotten. If I have spare time later on in my course I will learn to program. We will be covering some c++ next semester in this course, so I'll see how advanced this course gets, and follow on from there.

Do you know any linux? Mandrake is free if you have the time to download it and it comes with compilers for almost every language except VB. [/QUOTE]

Yeh I do know how to use it a bit. I currently have Red Hat 8.0 installed. I was gonna install Mandrake 9.0 but I read on the net that it's pretty buggy. At the moment I still haven't linked the W2K bootloader to my linux partition. I'll have to do that when I get some spare time.
    Last edited by Tank23; 03-06-2003 at 06:09 AM.