Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this Jihad?

3 Time World Champion

What is this Jihad?

I keep hearing and reading about this Jihad, what exactly is its purpose and its targets?

ji·had also je·had
    n.
    A Muslim holy war or spiritual struggle against infidels.
    A crusade or struggle: “The war against smoking is turning into a jihad against people who smoke” (Fortune).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Arabic jihd, from jahada, to strive. See ghd in Semitic Roots.]
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Nicked from dictionary.com

--
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

3 Time World Champion
    Is it then just spiritual battle or physical battle against "infidels" as well? Who purposed the Jihad? Who are the infidels?

Hehe yet again from dictionary.com:

in·fi·del
    n.
    An unbeliever with respect to a particular religion, especially Christianity or Islam.
    One who has no religious beliefs.
    One who doubts or rejects a particular doctrine, system, or principle.

--

3 Time World Champion
    well I have heard Muslims saying it is jihad, not any Christians and what about the battle is it a spiritual or actual call to violence?

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Christians will call it a "crusade".

And anyway, what does it matter what they call it? It's all called the same thing: "intolerance and ignorance"
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

3 Time World Champion
    So then it is a call to violence......

That depends on who you ask..

New Age muslim apologists will call it an "internal struggle"...

Whereas historically, it has meant wars waged by Islamic people for expansion or other similar purposes.

Every religion has had similar concepts. what isn't acceptable is attempting to carry these out in real life.
    Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 02-25-2003 at 02:46 PM.

I think this thread was generated just for trouble.

I don't see whats wrong with it...

Christianity and other religions have been criticized here.... so why hesitate because this concept is from religion X instead of Y?

It is also the controversial 6th pillar of Islam.
    JEEP is a 4 letter word, therefore it must be dirty.

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
    This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...

I am addicted to fast food...

jihad really means struggle.
    Talk to any theologin and they will tell you that.
    It's on of those words that get confused with the idea of holy war because of people who use it to describe holy war.
    It just means struggle.
    Train.

Its in the Islamic theologians interests to portray it that way..and the irony is that the Majority of Mullahs/Imams/maulvis would scoff at such a definition.

lets be honest.

historically, Jihad has meant nothing but military conquest.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    This thread WAS started to start trouble. You've got 3 sides to this thread. The side that just wants to stir up ****. The side that doesn't know. And the side that will tell you it means struggle. Believe whatever you want. It's been abused and misused by both the media and religious extremists since 9/11.

The Quraan decribes the greatest jihad as the jihad within yourself. And here's a simple example. You're out with some friends, maybe playing pool one evening. Suddenly a really, really attractive young lady approaches you and wants you to take her home. Now obviously your hormones will be screaming "DO IT!" The jihad here is within yourself. The struggle to say to this woman, or say to yourself regardless what you say to her, "I'm sorry I can't because I fear God." Of course there will be folks with no religious background or affiliation who will say that makes you the fool, but such is life when religion is brought up.

Yes there is a physical jihad as well. Does that entail flying planes into a 110 story building? Of course not. The Quraan is also very specific in its rules of war. Among them:

You cannot kill women and children.
    You cannot destroy buildings.
    You cannot destroy places of business, such as marketplaces.
    You cannot kill your enemy unless he has a weapon drawn and is trying to kill you with it. (ie a soldier with a gun at his hip cannot be killed. if he pulls that gun and aims it at you, you may defend yourself. if he dies, he dies, but you shall not intend to kill him, simply to avoid being killed yourself.)

I think if your goal is to start ****, as this thread was obviously created to do, you should perhaps read pertinent materials first.

keep in mind infidel means "people not of the book" (meaning those who were not muslim, christian OR hebrew)
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

why didn't Mohammed fight an internal jihad with himself before he married a six year old girl, ayesha?

why did he kill an innocent jewish poet for criticizing him?

This isn't to single Islam out, every other religion has its flaws. i'm not saying any of this to irritate anyone... but the "jihad is an internal struggle" deal is a recent myth.

3:16
    Originally posted by Ti1301
    jihad really means struggle.
    Talk to any theologin and they will tell you that.
    It's on of those words that get confused with the idea of holy war because of people who use it to describe holy war.
    It just means struggle.
    it can include miltary jihad, but can be a non-miltray struggle as well.

sanction may techincally be a jihad?

well in 1981 the islamic powers in mecca called for a jihad agaisnt isreal. is that still going on?

probably is if non-miltary.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

but the "jihad is an internal struggle" deal is a recent myth.
    Funny that the Quraan, which is over 1400 years old would say otherwise.

And you still have yet to provide a link to the exact hadeeths that mention the above said events. Likewise, what does marriage have to do with jihad?

do you remember what happened the last time I brought up quotes and provided a source?

And the murder of the banu qurayza and the jewish poet were in those.

If Jihad is an internal struggle as you said, then it has much relevance.
    you gave the example of a man controlling his lust for a woman.

why couldn't your prophet control his lust for a child?

Well now there's a predicament. If I was in a pool hall as I said and this girl approached me and I married her and THEN took her home, that's an entirely different scenario. And yes, I remember I asked you to provide links and you said, quite sarcastically, that "USC is a large school and I found their MSA easily." All I'm saying, and without sarcasm, is that instead of being so broad, point out direct links to these hadeeths. If you asked me to point out a direct link to an ESPN article on Kobe Bryant scoring 40 points for the 8th stright game, I could do it, so I don't think what I'm asking is unfair.

Again, if you want to discuss who Mohammed married, this wouldn't be the thread. This thread was jihad, and was started by a fool wishing to pick a fight.

This is all taken from a History of the Origins of Islam course that I took at the university level.

"Greater Jihad" = Struggle against the self. Primary meaning of the term "Jihad" within the Muslim community.

"Lesser Jihad" = Struggle against Dar al Harb (areas ruled by non-Muslim law). Secondary meaning of the term "Jihad" within the Muslim community.

Sources:

The Qur'an
    Shar'ia (The body of Islamic law)
    The Hadith (custom/practice of the prophet)
    Ijma' (consensus of the Muslim community)
    Last edited by orbital; 02-25-2003 at 06:24 PM.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

"Well now there's a predicament. If I was in a pool hall as I said and this girl approached me and I married her and THEN took her home, that's an entirely different scenario."

So are you justifying the relationship between Mohammed and ayesha based on the grounds that he married her?

"All I'm saying, and without sarcasm, is that instead of being so broad, point out direct links to these hadeeths. If you asked me to point out a direct link to an ESPN article on Kobe Bryant scoring 40 points for the 8th stright game, I could do it, so I don't think what I'm asking is unfair."

I gave the quotes and where they could be found in the koran. I gave you the website where you could find them.

anyways, the koran has no lack of violent quotes so i'll just give you some more questionable ones.
    Narrated 'Ali:

I heard the Prophet saying, "In the last days (of the world) there will appear young people with foolish thoughts and ideas. They will give good talks, but they will go out of Islam as an arrow goes out of its game, their faith will not exceed their throats. So, wherever you find them, kill them, for there will be a reward for their killers on the Day of Resurrection."
    Sahih Bukhari Volume 6, Book 61, Number 577:

from
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...ml#006.061.577

This is very, very sick..

"Narrated Abdullah Ibn Abbas:

A blind man had a slave-mother who used to abuse the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and disparage him. He forbade her but she did not stop. He rebuked her but she did not give up her habit. One night she began to slander the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and abuse him. So he took a dagger, placed it on her belly, pressed it, and killed her. A child who came between her legs was smeared with the blood that was there. When the morning came, the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) was informed about it.

He assembled the people and said: I adjure by Allah the man who has done this action and I adjure him by my right to him that he should stand up. Jumping over the necks of the people and trembling the man stood up.

He sat before the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and said: Apostle of Allah! I am her master; she used to abuse you and disparage you. I forbade her, but she did not stop, and I rebuked her, but she did not abandon her habit. I have two sons like pearls from her, and she was my companion. Last night she began to abuse and disparage you. So I took a dagger, put it on her belly and pressed it till I killed her.

Thereupon the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Oh be witness, no retaliation is payable for her blood. "
    Sunan Abu-Dawud Book 38, Number 4348

from
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen....html#038.4348

Who Mohammed married DOES have bearing on this discussion.

If "Internal Jihad" (which btw is a concept taught only in Western Universities because it is politically incorrect to say otherwise) is in fact what jihad is all about, then what does it show when the heart and soul of Islam, Mohammed, couldn't win his own jihad against his lust for a 6 year old?