Thread: Painful experience at the gym today.??

Painful experience at the gym today.??

I was Benching today. And I felt this wierd pain on my shoulder. It felt almost as my muscles popped or they were grinded together and it hurt a lot I had to stop. I stretched for a while and I tried again and it hurt when I pushed only not to pull. I stopped again stretched and took some weight off and went on to incline and it still hurt so I lifted lighter with it hurting. After that I tried to curl and it didn't hurt as much to I did bicept instead. Right now it still hurt a bit, mostly sore. It felt as if it were wet or dripping sweat at times but it was dry.
    I Benched 145x10 ; 225x10; 295x3; 225x5(Then Pain right in the middle of this rep).
    Has anyone had this before?
    I did stretch before hand for about 5 minutes.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

Give it a few days to rest, sounds like you just pulled something. If after a few days it still hasn't gotten any better...get you ass to a doctor. My guess is that you'll be ok in a few days... stretch a little, maybe some heat and go from there.
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Wanna Be Big
    I had the same thing happen to me one time when I didn't do any warm up sets. I just took it easy and rested my shoulder and it went away.
    Stats:
    5'10" 150lbs. 1RM as of 5/15/03......
    Bench 210
    Squat 280

If you don't invest much, then losing doesn't hurt and winning isn't very exciting.

The difference is almost all mental. The top players just hate to lose. A champion hates to lose more than they like to win.

Once you accept defeat, it becomes easy to lose. If defeat comes take it and face it, but don't accept it.

99% of failures come from people who practice the habit of making excuses.

Ice it for around 10 minutes at a time for the first 48 hours after hurting it. After that start applying a heat pad. My hamstring felt very similar to what you are describing here and that helped me get it to feeling better. It might take a week or more. I would lay off bench and shoulders for a while just make sure.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Wannabebig Member
    ouch!!!!!!

IT'S A TOOMAH
    -Stray-

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win." - Ed Macauley

I work out because I have two daughters.....and one day they'll be teenagers.

it is not a toomaaaah!
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

I've had this happen before, just give your chest/shoulders a week or so break. When you get back into the gym start with light weights, then see how it goes from there, if the sharp pain continues I would go get it checked out.
    Can't stop this train from rolling
    You can't take it down
    No, never stop this locomotion, on and on and on
    No, you can't bring me down 'cause I'm

Better than you

Okay since I hurt myself I haven't been to the gym and it did'nt hurt at all. Yesterday I did legs and today I went in for Chest and I stretched really good for about 10 minutes and then on the first set of warm ups I felt it again, Dammit. I tried dip, not; I tried the Hammer Strenght, no; I tried DB, no. They all hurt. So went to the old faithfull Smith Machine and did some high Inclines and it hurt but not as bad so I did a bunch of light set and when I tried to go a little heavy it would hurt. So i did bicept. Dammit, Dammit. I need to Bench my chest is one of my weaknesses and I can't be missing od doing half ass work outs. This sucks ass.

Motivate a fatty here.

If it is hurting like that you really need a longer break on that joint. Excercising it even more is only going to damage it even more to the point where you WILL NOT be able to work out with that joint. Give yourself a break or else you may need surgery to correct the damage you may be doing to yourself. Take at the very least a week off, I would suggest two by now. And then EASE into the workout. Use extremely light weights so your joints get get use to that stress again. Think about this, do your short term goals outwiegh the longterm goals? You could solve this problem by taking a nice break from working out, or you could damage yourself to the point of no return, and that measn no working out for you....
    Can't stop this train from rolling
    You can't take it down
    No, never stop this locomotion, on and on and on
    No, you can't bring me down 'cause I'm

Better than you