The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Restless, that's my point exactly. If someone doesn't have results themselves, why should you listen to them? Why not listen to guys at the gym who actually DO have results?
    There are ripped people who don't use juice. IMO, these forums are exactly like a gym. There are certain people here on the forums and at the gum whose advice you would and should trust more.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Common
    Restless, that's my point exactly. If someone doesn't have results themselves, why should you listen to them? Why not listen to guys at the gym who actually DO have results?
    There are ripped people who don't use juice. IMO, these forums are exactly like a gym. There are certain people here on the forums and at the gum whose advice you would and should trust more.
    Well, I have no clue about what you mean by results. I went from 154 to 200 pounds so I gained around 45 pounds in my first two years of training, so regardless of what youmight say, I do have the results.

Ripped people who don't use juice? Sure, but don't go around fooling yourself thinking that any of the guys that you see in muscle rags are natural because they all use roids.

I've seen natural newbies following the huge guy at my gym (there's only one that really looks like a pro bodybuilder), and all the results the poor guys ended up with where seriously agravated pre existing injuries and overtraining, they didn't get any bigger by doing 20 plus sets of every variation of the bench bench press and by following the other practices these guys follow. They were missing the drug factor.

Personally, it's not important at all that you avoid following the guys at your gym advice, like it's not important to me to go around correcting the disastrous unsolicited advice I see wanna-be-trainers at my gym delivering to anyone who happens to hear.

I don't give advice unless asked, and even then I avoid it because, regardless of how knowledgeable they are (or aren't), that's the trainers job.

You should consider yourself lucky to have the possibility of getting advice from people who ask for nothing in return.
    Last edited by restless; 03-02-2003 at 06:56 AM.

Well, using results as a basis, who would you be more apt to listen to regarding strength training; Dr. Mel Siff, or Flex Wheeler?

Enough said.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

3:16
    like restless i am not the biggest person.

But i have gained weight and strenght. I am probably about 60 pounds heavier than if i did not train.

but i do things i do not recommend, eg 1 1/2 cardio. but i play psorts like rugby, kick boxing etc. These things hinder my trianing progress. But i have other goals besides weight trianing ones. So i would be bigger and stroanger if i did not do these activities as well. plus the injury they have given me over the years.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Grasshoppa
    I know I'm not huge, but I do know that I know more than the common gym user out there. You can have great genetics and use high volume work outs and grow, while others aren't as blessed.

I've talked to people in the gym that swear by creatine serum. I've talked to guys who think weight gainer has some magical ingredient in it that makes you grow muscle.

You don't have to be huge and ripped to know what you're talking about. And you don't have to know what you're talking about to be huge and ripped.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Some of the most knowledgeable people about training and diet are quite unimpressive physical specimens.

Some of the most impressive physical specimens are borderline mentally retarded.

Further, many very impressive physiques have always been impressive (they have great genetics). Some with less than impressive physiqes from a bodybuilding standpoint have come much farther.

Many of the people on this site have made quite remarkable transformations, and have reached their individual goals.

One other thing to remember - in general, this stuff is remarkably simple. Lots of people try to make it more complex, as that either suits their individual needs (they sell training advice, and need to make it more complicated in order to imply value) or they simply want to sound smart, or they've been completely mislead.

What makes many people on this site good at dispensing advice is their overall level of education (capable of expressing ideas), their varied experience, and their willingness to experiment.

Speaking for myself - I've been training seriously for about 8 years, give or take. Easily half of that was wasted on routines that didn't work for me, or on experiments that went wrong.

It's my duty to try to steer folks away from what went wrong for me.

Focus on the basics - progression, hard work, good form, good diet, good rest. The complicated stuff might be fun to read and play with, but don't stray form the basics, and you'll succeed.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

i have personally found that even though people on here have good science knowledge the actual routine as paul mentioned are pretty basic.

we use scince to make routine more simple, eg not doing 4 exercise for the bicep. yet when we say there is no need and give scientific reasons, they say science is wrong etc.
    but in reality they are making it far more complex than its needs to be.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

[i]
    P.S. You sound like your rodent. I hope you die if you are. [/B]
    i am not sure i understand this. Is rodent some kind of weightlifting term for a newbie or something?

I starting coming here because of the good training advice. I finally ended up experimenting on my own and found that my own simple theory of how I should train worked better for me (which was simple a combination of different theories that I learned here). As far as any other issue goes, I would not seek advice here... LOL sorry. But hell, the training advice is good... that's all that matters.
    No Information Provided

( ))))=Sworn Protector Of All Things Stoned=(((( )

It's ladies night at the bar, but she smokes a man's cigar. I guess she's dyin'. Oh well.
    -------------------------------------------

Exactly what Paul said. I think he put it the best out of all of us.

And no, not all of us are big and ripped.. but you gotta also realize that not all of us -want- to be. Also, you've got to look at the before and after on a lot of people. Myself for example, am nothing impressive at all. I've got some fair size to me, but i'm probably in the middle range at the gym. Same time, in the last and a half, I've put on 20-25 pounds, and lowered my bodyfat considerably. And this was while struggling with learning how to do thing, what worked for me, and (my worst part) diet. You compare me to the average 1.5 year newbie, and I understand why I get questioned on whether I'm on anything.. Same time, you compare me to the big guys at the gym, and you wonder why I'm so weak and tiny.
    LaLa

Overtrainer.
    Listen to me because I take roids and lots of them.

Originally posted by peatr99

i am not sure i understand this. Is rodent some kind of weightlifting term for a newbie or something?
    No. Rodent was a former member who has been reregistering.

Some of our members are not particulalry fond of him.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    Originally posted by Belial
    Forums = open exchange of ideas.

I bet if you got everybody in the gym together, had them bring a bunch of physiology textbooks, training guides (from real trainers, not Flex), access to other groups of experts, and access to medline, I'm sure, given months of debate, there'd be some solid information being passed around.
    This is probably the most compelling reason why WBB is 'better' than simply asking advice from 'guys at the gym'. I've gotten conflicting but rational and supported advice on different topics from this board.

The best part IMHO is that the focus, generally, isn't about "do it this way coz it works" but rather, "this is what I've learned, and I'm willing to help you figure out if it works for you."

Yeah, there are people that consistently talk out of their asses, but the good part about this format is that they'll usually get called on it.

One important point. Here on WBB, everyone is accountable for their views. People often challenge ideas, ask for supporting evidence etc. etc.

This (hopefully) acts as a bs filter where good information remains and the crap gets filtered out.

As individuals, there's no reason to take something anyone says as gospel, but one hopes that collective wisdom through the discussion process makes for a more intelligent viewpoint.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Originally posted by hemants

As individuals, there's no reason to take something anyone says as gospel, but one hopes that collective wisdom through the discussion process makes for a more intelligent viewpoint.
    *** Amen to that.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

If someone doesn't have results themselves, why should you listen to them? Why not listen to guys at the gym who actually DO have results?
    I have a friend that was bigger and more cut than 3/4 of the people on this forum and he's never worked out a day in his life. If you want me too, i'll put you in touch with him and he can be your new trainer.

I also know a lot of people bigger and more cut than 3/4 of the people on this forum and don't workout.....

Some people here do know what they're talking about, not everyone does.

I don't see how you can say...
    People on the internet are so much more knowledable even though most are still small and have a high bodyfat% (not things you want for BB).. If they did have knowledge (Knowledge of how to get big and cut) wouldn't these people actual be big and cut or at least look like they lift weights and not just normal americans??

And just what is this knowledge? Scientific studies? Experience? If it were experience, i'd assume they would actually be big and cut..
    If it were scientific, why do people constantly say bull**** to scientific studies posted?

The few that are big and cut are always called genetic freaks... Weird.

I can make a million copies of a single gene in less than 2 hours. Does that count?
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I also know a lot of people bigger and more cut than 3/4 of the people on this forum and don't workout.....

Some people here do know what they're talking about, not everyone does.

I don't see how you can say...
    People on the internet are so much more knowledable even though most are still small and have a high bodyfat% (not things you want for BB).. If they did have knowledge (Knowledge of how to get big and cut) wouldn't these people actual be big and cut or at least look like they lift weights and not just normal americans??

And just what is this knowledge? Scientific studies? Experience? If it were experience, i'd assume they would actually be big and cut..
    If it were scientific, why do people constantly say bull**** to scientific studies posted?

The few that are big and cut are always called genetic freaks... Weird.
    And don't forget that the "big and cut" guys only look like that a few weeks per year, the rest of the time they just look like huge fat asses. Search around for some off season pro bodybuilder pics.
    Last edited by restless; 03-03-2003 at 03:30 PM.

no exercise all together?

I personally do not know anyone who does not do weight who is stronger than me.

some people may be a bigger(at the same height) but if they are they are not leaner, and not as strong.

quite a lot of people on here are fairly new to training. if they use some of the advice from people like belial, chris, powerman et al, in a couple of years there be far bigger and stronger if they keep dedicated.

plus its also people starting points. if you have some one who weigh like 120 pounds if they did no exercise. now they weigh 170 pounds. that is 50 pound increase in weight or 41% increase in body weight.
    Now take some who weighs like 190 pounds without touching a weight. they increase there body weight by 41% they would be 267 pounds.
    but who had the best gains?

The guys on this site are also the guys in the gym, except for those of us who wo at home.
    I think the benefit of the forum is advice can be critiqued by others. I don't think you should completely ignore the guys in the gym or follow blindly every memmber of this site. Hopefully you can take in differant ideas, and decide whats good for you.
    I have trouble beleiving every guy in the gym is moron, like some people say. Use your own judgement.

Originally posted by Berserker
    The guys on this site are also the guys in the gym, except for those of us who wo at home.
    I think the benefit of the forum is advice can be critiqued by others. I don't think you should completely ignore the guys in the gym or follow blindly every memmber of this site. Hopefully you can take in differant ideas, and decide whats good for you.
    I have trouble beleiving every guy in the gym is moron, like some people say. Use your own judgement.
    I agree.

well at the end of the day, there were intellegent people trianing before the net was around(well in the way its taken off over the last ten years).

some of are older members here can remeber what it was like.

but people here have helped me improve my trianing in ways that the BB rag mags have not helped. plus most BBing books do not detail.

well if i did not read up on stuff, who routine would you follow arnies or some one wrote programmes for a non-genetically gifted freak who did not take drugs? but did not look as good on the front cover?

Have a thirty minute conversation without a random person at your gym, then come back and read this forum for thirty minutes. Then you'll realize why these people are smarter.

Okay if a guy comes up to you in the gym and starts telling you what to do or what you're doing wrong, right away I know he is a jackass. there are some unwriten rules about the gym one of them is "don't tell someone what they are doing wrong" (they might now more than you.) another,"Don't some one what work" (Again they might know more than you and what work one person may no work for another) another rule "Don't ask someone what they take or use" (some people get very touch about that, they will thinkyou are accusing them of gear or some people don't like talking about it).
    Unles you know the person. I follow these rules. since i don't think I'm better than one to the point of stoping their work out to them what they are doing wrong. I have had people do that to me they stop me and tell me that I need stand with my feet a certain way. I just simply told the guy "Well, when I took my course to become a personal fitness trainer they never told me that, thanks" and I just got back to what I was doing. I don't think I'm smarter, I know theres people that are smater than me here. I have just read a lot of article, journals and tried a lot of schit.

P.S. About those unwriten rules they were just guides lines that I picked up a long the way. And I saw them some where once.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.