The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

why are you guys so smart?

i was wondering, what makes you guys more right about things than anyone else? you say not to trust "the guys in the gym" that say things, but aren't you all "the guys in the gym"? i'm not trying to diss but i'm just curious as to what your credentials are.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

me is smart guis in gym dum

seriously the guys that give advice one here do alot of research and you could get great advice in the gym but its a little more chancy i mean in the gym your talking to 1 guy who may not know squat whereas at WBB is someone shoots you wrong there will be 20 other posters calling it out the right way for you
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Well we take 80grams of creatine a day, so not only do we have huge muscles, but our brains power also increases making us 'special'

On a serious note though alot of the guys from 'the gym' have little knowledge on the correct principles of weight training and nutrition, drugs etc.... they just state what works/or not for them.

I know that myself has a good knowledge of Weight training and sports nutrition, through my qualifications that i have achieved and the research i have carried out, and alot of the other members are in the same boat.

You may get some bad advice here, but if there is then it will be corrected by some of the more experienced and clued-up members.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Man, it sounds cocky to try to justify why you're smarter then the average gym rat.. So, instead I'll put it this way: Most people that go to the gym never really look up what their doing, but instead go in with a rather basic concept, or misconception, of what working out is suppose to be. Of course there will be people at the gym that know what works, obviously, but the majority of people won't.

So, if you compare us to a group of people that probably have the belief that you have to work out every day, for hours on end, and that the main exercises are bench and curls.. then yeah, we sound somewhat smarter. Toss in the fact that on this board you get a lot of different opinions, instead of when talking to someone at the gym for a few minutes you get -one- opinion on what works, and nobody to dispute it (even if it's blantantly wrong). Toss in the experience and studies of a lot of people instead of "what worked for me" of one.. and I imagine your getting the point. It's not that all of us here are the most brillant people in the world in working out, it's the fact that there are a lot of us, and most of us have done some research into the matter. That's why were here.
    LaLa

We don't do curls in the squat rack.

Forums = open exchange of ideas.

I bet if you got everybody in the gym together, had them bring a bunch of physiology textbooks, training guides (from real trainers, not Flex), access to other groups of experts, and access to medline, I'm sure, given months of debate, there'd be some solid information being passed around.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Experience and knowing when and how to apply the appropriate learned theory in a practical setting.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by Maki Riddington
    cuz I'm smart and you're not
    :withstupi
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

That works too.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    every gym has a *few* well informed people

this board is a collection of those people...

I have learned more on boards like this then I did from hundreds of dollars worth of books and other research (ie: University websites etc...)

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

I trust the strong people in the gym, they have to do something right if they are strong.
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

I think it's funny someone would believe the advice of people on the internet rather than someone in their own gym who has a great physique. Personally, I'd trust them more-- some people on the internet do give good solid information, but not all. Most of the information given on internet bodybuilding forums seems to be almost exactly what you hear in the bodybuilding magazines except as not in as much detail, but people on the internet say bodybuilding magazines are trash...
    Last edited by Common; 03-01-2003 at 06:03 PM.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Common
    I think it's funny someone would believe the advice of people on the internet rather than someone in their own gym who has a great physique. Personally, I'd trust them more-- some people on the internet do give good solid information, but not all. Most of the information given on internet bodybuilding forums seems to be almost exactly what you hear in the bodybuilding magazines except as not in as much detail, but people on the internet say bodybuilding magazines are trash...
    Not quite. The only people in my gym that are bigger and stronger than me are roid users and while I don't really have anything against roids or people who use them these guys don't know **** about training or nutrition, they only grow when on a steroid cycle and while off they just shrink because they simply do not have the knowledge it takes to build/mantain natural muscle mass. Bodybuilding magazines are crap, their routines don't work for natural trainees because the volume is usually so high that it is impossible that anyone but the genetic freaks on drugs actually gets big on them. We've all made the mistake of buying those things and wasting our days in the gym by following their advice, most of us ended overtrained. Now we know better and someday maybe you will too.
    Last edited by restless; 03-01-2003 at 06:13 PM.

1) I have 14+ years of practical experience in the gym.
    2) I am intelligent.
    3) I am educated.
    4) I have read more bodybuilding books and literature than 90% of people out there.
    5) I am stronger than 90+% of all trainees.
    6) I know more accurate information about weightlifting than 90% of all trainees and trainers.
    7) Raw power has been a passion of mine for the better part of 25 years.
    8) Weightlifting and its related activities are my only hobbies and have been such for 14+ years.

That is about it.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Originally posted by chris mason
    1) I have 14+ years of practical experience in the gym.
    2) I am intelligent.
    3) I am educated.
    4) I have read more bodybuilding books and literature than 90% of people out there.
    5) I am stronger than 90+% of all trainees.
    6) I know more accurate information about weightlifting than 90% of all trainees and trainers.
    7) Raw power has been a passion of mine for the better part of 25 years.
    8) Weightlifting and its related activities are my only hobbies and have been such for 14+ years.

That is about it.
    Word.

In twelve years I want to be Chris.

And Terry Tate. Hm...

Originally posted by restless

Not quite. The only people in my gym that are bigger and stronger than me are roid users and while I don't really have anything against roids or people who use them these guys don't know **** about training or nutrition, they only grow when on a steroid cycle and while off they just shrink because they simply do not have the knowledge it takes to build/mantain natural muscle mass. Bodybuilding magazines are crap, their routines don't work for natural trainees because the volume is usually so high that it is impossible that anyone but the genetic freaks on drugs actually gets big on them. We've all made the mistake of buying those things and wasting our days in the gym by following their advice, most of us ended overtrained. Now we know better and someday maybe you will too.
    Well i've only seen maybe 5 people at most on here who I would consider big and ripped. You have pics? You know they use steroids or you just assume because they're huge?

Originally posted by chris mason

2) I am intelligent.

.... too easy.

I agree with common's point, though, restless, how do you know they're on gear?

btw, I disagree with the other point you made, common. I see almost no parallels between the info here and the info in BB rags... I mean, while there of course are some similarities, since it's all pretty much weight training, that's pretty much where it ends.

I should stop arguing when I've been drinking.

There are only so many proven facts in bodybulding that everyone can use to benefit from. It's the stuff that works for some individuals rather than others that confuses a lot of people. There just too many confounding variables when you try to compare two trainees. Therefore if you see a big guy in the gym do 20 sets for his chest, it doesn't mean that if you do what he does you'll get big.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Pretty much what everyone else said. Most of the "guys in the gym" only do what they are doing because most of the other "guys in the gym" do it. It's not often that one of the "guys in the gym" does any real research on the topic. Many of those that do are here.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Cuz I can integreate sqrt(1+ e^x).
    Ok.... now to be serious. Because we have common sense. Most people don't.

P.S. You sound like your rodent. I hope you die if you are.
    w00t

The Tuna Tempter
    Originally posted by GonePostal
    hahahahahah

I agree that most people on these forums are smarter than the average 'gym rat'. Not many of the guys in the gym actually do any real research into bodybuilding. What they know about weight training, they have heard from other gym goers and maybe some BB magazines.

-Tank
    Life's too short to be small

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Common

Well i've only seen maybe 5 people at most on here who I would consider big and ripped. You have pics? You know they use steroids or you just assume because they're huge?
    I never claimed to be huge, but there's a pic of me in the photo forum.

I know they use steroids because they tried to sell them to me a few times.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Re: why are you guys so smart?

Originally posted by peatr99
    i was wondering, what makes you guys more right about things than anyone else? you say not to trust "the guys in the gym" that say things, but aren't you all "the guys in the gym"? i'm not trying to diss but i'm just curious as to what your credentials are.

1. 13 years of practical in-the-trenches training

2. Went from 140 lbs (bodyweight) to 200 lbs (no steroids, no supplements)

3. Have a Master's Degree in Physical Education.

Originally posted by GonePostal

LMAO!! I was thinking the same thing.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.