Thread: Working 3rd shift makes u fat?

Wannabebig Member
    Hi newbie here,

I've heard that it's easier to gain weight when working 3rd shift because your metabism is alot slower at night. Is this true?

Wannabebig Member
    If you can manage top eat and sleep at the same time.

I can't come up with such a profession atm...

[Edited by UFO on 01-30-2001 at 05:46 AM]

I think not. How does your body know when it is night or dark? If you work 3rd shift and have so for awhile, then night time is your "day time". Your metabolism slows down when your sleeping or about to, not when it is night time. So if you sleep during the day then that is when your metabolism slows down.

I am not sure if I made any sense here. Maybe I should consider sleeping myself.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

MACHINE
    I worked the 5 to 5 night shift in a factory during college summer break and got used to it pretty quickly. After 2 weeks my body didn't know the difference and I was wide awake all night and slept all day.

Are you guys crazy. I used to work the midnight shift for about 11 years. And I tell ya, you don't get used to it. No matter how much sleep you get during the day, you are always sleepy at 12am. What happens is you get used to the feelings and you can ignore it. I put on a lot of weight during that period, because my eating habits got screwed up, but working those hours shouldn't affect your weight if you are eating the same.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for your insight guys, but I would have to agree with breeze on this one. I've been working 3rd for a year now and I'm still not used to it. I believe this is due to me sleeping like a normal person would on the weekends, but then switching back to 3rd shift mode come Mondays. Therefore my body is constantly switching from sleeping at night on weekends and of course staying awake at nights on the weekdays.

Another ?, do you gentleman think working 3rd is/will affected my growth at all?

Some of us do the same as you do, only reverse. On the weekends we stay up very late(not me of course)and come monday morning we are paying the price.

I don't think it will effect your growth as long as you get your 8 hrs a day of sleep and eat well. Don't use the excuse of late hours to eat what you're not supposed to eat.

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Wannabebig Member
    Well, I've worked nights for over 10 years now and the only thing that made me gain fat was to screw up my eating habits and stop exercising. If I manage to eat right and take care of my body I will stay in shape despite of the time I stay awake.

Working nights gets harder with age. I had no problems working nights when I was 20 but now that I'm over 30 I really feel night shifts make me more tired than day time work. But as long as I can sleep well during the days I'm not complaining.

Same comment as Go Stars.

---------------
    Someday...
    Keep pumping !