Thread: Forearm pains

Wannabebig Member

Forearm pains

Hi everyone,
    Hope everyone is well. I'm a relative newbie to weightlifting (less than a year). I lift 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) for around 90 minutes. For the past month or so I have been experiencing pain in my mid-forearm on the bones of both my forearms. This is due to my curling, as I have recently been doing a more intense curling workout. The pain is only felt when I put pressure on the sensitive area.

My brother who has many years of weightlifting experience said he also had the same problems. However he just lifted through the pain and eventually it went away after six months.

Is this normal? Any suggestions on what I can do? Any ideas would help greatly and be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I've had it. Are you curling a barbell or dumbell? I've had it with a barbell. It seems more people get it using a straight bar, rather then an ez bar. I had it using both. I took maybe a day off and switched bars. Could also try dumbells.

Wannabebig Member
    I use a barbell. I don't work out on weekends and the pain still continues. I've skipped a day even and let it heal for five days, and it still hurt afterwards.

I have only had that pain while curling with a barbell. Start curling with dumbells and the pain should slowly go away. I still have that jolting pain in my left forearm (feels like the bones are aching). I started using dumbells and the pain doesn't come as often. I still use a barbell though for max sets.

-Calipso

Wannabebig Member
    I will try dumbells next time, thanks for your input. Calipso, how long have you had that pain?

its very common, my own treatment for it was working forearms consistently. it strengthens the muscles(obviously) and it takes a little bit of time but the pain goes away. give it a shot and see if it helps
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

I've had that pain for over a month. I also work at a furniture warehouse so I always get a constant workout thus whenever messing around with bulky sofas, tables etc I get that nice stinging pain in the left forearm. It'll go away eventually I hope.

-Calipso

I'd follow MrWebbs instructions too. I believe that makes some sense. If you get stronger forearms I'm guessing the strain will go from your bones to your muscles which is a better pain/burn.

Wannabebig Member
    I was thinking about that. Like I said with my brother, six months would be quite a long time though.

It's just annoying though because I work with computers, and often I lay my arms down putting pressure on that area.

Blue veined member !
    It sounds like tendonitis and training forearms further might make it worse.

I`ve had it for around two years. Mine is aggravated by the position of my mouse, its chest height almost and is very uncomfortable. Try using a heat pack before and after training, works well for me, another thing I find helps is to not supinate the wrist too much, hammer curls or e-z curls arent half as bad as a straight curl.

Nothing much you can do for it really, just rest and avoid excercises that aggravate it.
    Last edited by Hellrazor; 03-04-2003 at 11:46 AM.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Wannabebig Member
    I've been battling this for almost a year now. It started on my right arm doing chins. I tried not working out my right arm and wearing a wrist brace, but it'd never go away. Then my left arm started hurting.

Common sense would say to go to the doc.

Of course, I didn't.

Long and short...asked my daughter's physical therapist. Tendenitis. He recommended getting therapy for it, ie professional help. He also recommended stretching movements such as pulling your hands back...try to get the tops of your hands onto your wrists and stretching the forearms. The worst thing you can do is to totally stop using your forearms and wait until it stops hurting, as I learned taking four months off. He also recommended aspirin or ibuprofen to lessen inflammation.

It hurts less than it did three months ago and it's not unbearable. The key seems to be keeping those forearm muscles stretched and loose, especially before working out.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    I remember that feeling! Im 6'almost 3" and gots long a$$ arms. When I started doing barbell curls my forearms hurt like a mutha' for a long time, I didnt understand it, no one else seemed to complain. at first I just tried to train through it, but it was getting worse......

I switched to just doing DB curls, lots of stretching like Saint Nick says, and after 6 months I switched back to barbell curls. No pain.

I think its just that when you first start working out, different exercises will put stress on the forearms, and the forearms are not used to it. You gotta strengthen them doing simpler, similiar exercises with lots of stretching. eventually, if your lucky your forearms will adapt and become stronger, or it could be that due to your specific height, arm length, or other factors, you'll have to find a different exercise and avoid the one that stress the tendons. Either way, good luck!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Injury produces one solution and one solution only, which is REST!

I cant emphasise this enough, rest until the pain is no longer an issue, then work up slowly keeping your forearms as important as any other body part.

I had the same problem and basically i neglected forearms in an attempt to go for just big bi's, i had to rest 2 weeks, now its fine

Now im hampered with a shoulder injury and rest once agian is the only answer.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Good point Ron, I forgot to mention that I took two weeks off before starting curls again using DB's. When there is pain involved, thats the body's way of saying "stop doing that"!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice