The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Full Body

Full Body

Is this alright for a full body routine which i do at home?

Bench Press
    Curls
    Squats
    Shoulder Press
    Inclined Flies
    Bent Over Row
    DeadLift
    Weighted Crunchs
    Declined Crunches

I'll be doing 3X6-8 on all exercises except for Weighted Crunches & Declined Crunches as for those i'll be doing 4X 10-15...

On my bench press in the past i have been doing 3X4-6 reps wiv a weight of 60K and now i have been told to do 3X6-8 with a lower weight such as 58K
    is this because doing more reps will put my muscles under stress for longer or what? It's not as if my muscles know how many sets and reps im doing etc... Could some1 just explain why 6-8 and not 4-6...

I am bulking.. please answer my question and tell me what you think of my routine

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Lower reps are generally used for strength, middle range (6-12 somewhere abouts) for size and high reps for endurance.

How many times a week are you doing this?
    Why can't you just do a split? (Each day a different bodypart, with rest during the week. eg. Mine = chest/tris/delts, rest, legs, rest, back/bis, rest for two days)
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

I'm working out at home and i didnt really feel like i'd worked much on that split.. Normally im all pumped up and tyerd after my workout and when i tried a split i was like i can go on for more...

I do my full body routine 3 times a week wiv sat and sunday as a break..

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    A couple of things:

First you should keep the volume relativelly low when going full body, thus I would do no more than 2 sets per exercise and only one set for the second exercise of each muscle group.

No need to squat and deadlift in the same workout do squat and SLDL or alternate between them.

There's an imbalance between push and pull movements that can lead to trouble in the long run, better do some chins/pull ups or even add some rear delt work.

No need for two types of crunches, ditch the decline ones.

Thnx for that reply but you kinda lost me so would you like to re-arrange my full body then...

Baring in mind i am at home..

I have:
    Bench Press (with leg attatchment)
    Dumbells
    Barbell
    Curling bar (forgot its name but its curvy with to grips to it)
    Chin up bar

I understand the bit about doing 2sets for each exercise... so please help...

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    If you can do squats do something like this:

Squats X2
    SLDL X1
    Bent over rows X2
    Pull ups X1 (or do two pull ups and one rows)
    Bench press X2
    Dips?
    Shoulder press (preferably standing with barbell) X2
    Biceps curl X1
    Calf raises (maybe?) X1
    Weighted crunches X1 or 2

Next workout do deads instead of squats and SLDL's and do one extra set of lex extensions if you like.

Now you only have to go to the HST site and figure out the rest.

So here's what my new routine looks like:

Squats X2
    SLDL X1
    Bent over rows X2
    Pull ups X1
    Bench press X2
    Dips?
    Shoulder press with barbell X2
    Biceps curl X1
    Weighted crunches X

thing is are you on about the dips where you work lowering yourself say with feet on a chair and my hands on another lowering myself up and down or the type where your above a bar? Cause i can only do the chair one is that one ok?

HST which part should i read i know why we need protein thats why i take the supplment..... ermmm this sites confusing

I am a newbie so please

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Well if you're a newbie then don't bother with HST, it's over complicating things for now. Just do this start with reasonably high reps, around 12 per set and add weight to the bar every other workout or so, drop the reps by two or three and so on. When you get to around 5 or 6 reps add weight once or week only. Stop sets a little short of failure. About dips, if you can do them safely do them, otherwise don't.
    This will work very well for sure. It's a workout regime that stood the test of time.

high reps yer but im bulking that confused me now because i thought it was heavy weight low rep for bulking...

I'd do that workout wiv the dips on 2 chairs and rest a weight between my legs to make it harder..

I do know some facts about muscles and things like that and i am learning all the time.. I am really interested in weight training i dont just do this to make myself feel better and healthier...

I just know the basics about reps etc... like low rep heavy weight muscle building + high rep low weight is for endurance etc... so when you say do 12 reps how many sets and ermmm im still confuesed because like i said i thought it was low rep heavy weight for building muscle (bulk)...

and sorry if i am going on but im just interested...

please reply again...

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    LIsten I suggested higher reps so it would be easier for you to progress in there by decreasing reps and adding weight but lower reps will do fine, as long as you add weight to the bar. Since you are a newbie there should be a great deal of neural adaptations that should allow for some significant strenght gains, so your life should be easier in regards to this. Essentially, your muscle is sensitive not only to the absolute load, but to load increments and it wont grow if the loads doesn't in some way chalenge it's mechanical integrity. I'd suggest you go to the forum page at the HST site and check out the FAQ section, it will demand some hard work to understand but it can answer all your questions.

Here's the link:

FAQ
    Last edited by restless; 03-04-2003 at 08:43 AM.

When I got back into lifting I worked out full body 3 times a week, doing 10 reps. Did this for a few months and started various splits. I know the WBB1 split looks low volume but if your going balls out its enough. I would probably stick to full body 3 day work out for a bit, to get yourself conditioned and learn the exercises. After 2-3 months I would seriously consider some kind of split. The split allows you to keep your instenity up. With a full body the last exercises suffer.

Yes i understand that the last exercises suffer but the problem is i'm working out at home and i struggle to be able to do all of these exercises.

Could you suggest a split for me to look at.. baring in mind i am working out at home..

(i have...)
    Bench Press
    Barbell
    Dumbells
    (curling bar i can't remember what its exact name is) just is curvy lol if that sounds familier .. :
    Chin up Bar
    Declined Bench

I have been doing a full body for quite sometime and i have seen some gains but the reason i wanted another routine is because i'm not seeing any more gains maybe its time to do a split like you suggested but still im working out at home so its gonna be difficult unless you've got any ideas.. bare in mind im bulking..
    thnx for your help and advice all of you..

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Berserker
    The split allows you to keep your instenity up. With a full body the last exercises suffer.
    Mine don't. I guess it depends on how you plan things and if your condicioning is up to it.

I mean, in a typical split routine for example you might do 9 stes for chest while here you only do two or three, the muscle will always be lot fresher and since the weekly volume is the same the sets end up being of better quality, and by better quality I mean that more weight will be used and it is easier to stay clear of failure, as oposed to those last sets of the 9 sets were your muscles are really tired and you're not getting a tension anywere near what you did on the first few. Then there's also the issue of glycogen depletion that Lyle talks about, the more volume the more glycogen will be used and according to him the muscle won't grow untill it has completely replenished his energetic resources, which can take up to 24 hours, meaning you end up losing most of the window of increased protein synthesis resulting from your workouts.

Once again, I'm not saying split routines won't work, just stating a few of the reasons that make full body workouts work so well.
    Last edited by restless; 03-04-2003 at 02:44 PM.