The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Food Guide Pyramid

ok, i was reading an article in the new issue of muscle media, got bored and bought one, anyway, the article was about the government's food guide pyramid and the conspiracy behind it. i found it interesting the guy who wrote it is'nt against it but rather for revising it to show portion sizes and such. he says it's too simple. there are some who say the pyramid is the way it is due to the meat, dairy and egg industry paying off the chairman of the group that made the thing. this group says that milk should be an optional way to get calcuim, that there are other food sources for it. anyway, one dietician says it works because it fits everyone's life style giving them a wide variety of foods to work with and eat. she says meats, eggs, and dairy are less needed in the diet and therefore are where they are, carbs are very essential and are where they are, at the base.

my outtake on the pyramid, crap! why? it has carbs at the base, no wonder so many people are overweight,they eat 11 servings of breads, pastas and such a day. fruit tastes good and has vitamins and minerals but let's face it, it's sugar. i think the pyramid is based on the processed food industy paying off the government. it is based on profit. carbs are fillers, not essential. man did not always eat breads, and such, they ate meat, eggs and drank milk. they also ate leafy veggies and shrubs. i know some will disagree but that is fine. i stand firm on the low carb way of eating. i just started the greenwhich diet, a very healthy low carb diet. i won't go into details now but if you want a good book to read, then pick up the greenwhich diet by carlon m. colker. well, gotta bail, time to get ready for work. i look forward to getting yall's input on this. i'll check back after work. peace!
    This is our current government keeping the peace.

vote Edwards for president

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's the staple of the US governments plan to lower testosterone and increase the estrogen levels of the population.

a book i'm in the middle of right now is The Protein Power Lifeplan...they quote studies and everything..*lol*

actually lots of good info on the biology of things....i agree with you btw....well except for the part about fruit. Fruit was readily available and easily recognizable back in the day, so our bodies are designed ot handle it well.
    Last edited by Tryska; 07-30-2001 at 02:23 PM.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Cackerot69
    It's the staple of the US governments plan to lower testosterone and increase the estrogen levels of the population.
    That's it.

bone crusher
    food pyrimid is designed to help farmers not people.

someone must buy all the grain that is way overproduced in this country. Having carbs as the main group assures a constant market for these farm products

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    the food pyramid is just a simple guide ppl teach to young children to stay in okay condition.
    the carbs on the bottom comes from grains, which shouldn't make ppl obese fat.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Part of the basis for the food pyramid is looking at the diets of everyday people (not athletes) who live in cultures where people are generally healthy and have a low incidence of diet-related problems like obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. A good example would be rural Europeans and Middle Easterners who live in countries around the Mediterranean. These people are probably also a lot more physically active than the average American, and also probably eat a lot less. Eating 11 American -size servings of bread or pasta is a lot different than eating 11 Greek or Lebanese-size servings.

i agree with all yall.

ok, day number 1 of the greenwwhich diet is about over with. i've had only one serving of carbs, my pre work out drink which was loaded with mahuang and caffine so you get the picture. anyway, i feel pretty good, had more energy today than usual.

ok, back to the subject, lol, it's a conspiracy and built around lobbyist. i say we should petition the government to get them to use studies from universities that have done studies on high protein diets, low carb diets, moderate carb/protein diets, bodybuilding diets, ect, ect. let's figure this logically, if you eat the servings on the higher end of the scale(11 servings rather than 6 for carbs, 3 for meats and dairy, and 5 for fruits and veggies and very little fat/sugar) then you get 3500 cals, around that anyway, lower end you get 1100. but yes it is made for average people but then again they claim athletes should follow it too and they will benefit from it. if everyone followed it then we would only have one child per household. shame shame uncle sam.tuttut
    This is our current government keeping the peace.

vote Edwards for president

Originally posted by Taras
    Part of the basis for the food pyramid is looking at the diets of everyday people (not athletes) who live in cultures where people are generally healthy and have a low incidence of diet-related problems like obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. A good example would be rural Europeans and Middle Easterners who live in countries around the Mediterranean. These people are probably also a lot more physically active than the average American, and also probably eat a lot less. Eating 11 American -size servings of bread or pasta is a lot different than eating 11 Greek or Lebanese-size servings.
    The Mediterranean food guide pyramid's advices are too different than the American's one(fda).
    [IMG]c:/piramida.jpg[/IMG]

I'm gonna translate it to understant where's the difference.
    At the base,it says:

• Olive oil/Olives
    • Cheese/Yoghurt
    • Beans/Other pulses
    • Peanuts-Almonds etc
    • Fruits/Veggies
    • Bread/Pasta/Rice/Potatoes
    • Wheat & other cereals

At the middle

• Poultry/Eggs
    • Fish

At the top
    • Red meat

It also suggests to perform physical exercise every day and to drink wine in moderation.
    This way of living was followed by the residents of Creta.The majority of them were farmers and had to walk about 4km per day...
    Last edited by Wizard; 07-31-2001 at 02:06 AM.

I agree. I think the food guide is a crock. Carbs definitely have their place in any diet, but certainly shouldn't be 70%.

Every book I've read that was written by a RD suggests a diet of 60-70% carbs. Most say that the average north american diet has far too much protein. I think it's the other way around. The worst book I've read on this was Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook. What a joke. This chick only belives in a 70% carb diet. Supps, gear, protein...none of that will help add muscle, only a high carb diet. And she doesn't differentiate between sports. Both marathoners and bb'ers should follow 70% carb diet ....WTF?

I'm reading Avery's Sports Nutrition Almanac right now. It's the first sports nutrition book I've read that actually suggests a decent amount of protein for athletes. It's a good book if you get a chance, read it

Originally posted by Podium Kreatin
    the food pyramid is just a simple guide ppl teach to young children to stay in okay condition.
    the carbs on the bottom comes from grains, which shouldn't make ppl obese fat.

hmm..actually from what i'm reading in studies and also on human biology.....grains and carbs could quite easily make people pretty obese, pretty quickly.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    For sedentary people, I don't see a problem with 70% carbs, 20% protein, and 10%fat. Sure, athletes need alot more protein and whatnot, but as long as you're following the calorie rule:

Take in more than you burn ---> gain weight
    Burn more than you take in ---> lose weight

You can manipulate your bodyweight with almost any macronutrient ratio. Guys that just wanna maintain a healthy weight will be fine.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

But,once again:When glycogen stores are full and you continue consuming carbs,then they're gonna be stored as fat.(in the adipose tissue).And how do you suggest sedentary people to consume that many carbs?
    What do you burn more when you're in rest?Carbs?
    I used to believe that when you are just sitting, or standing, or whatever, you are burning mostly fat as an energy source (about 70%) and the rest as glucose, or carbs (about 30%). When you exercise at high intensities those amounts are switched, and you receive most energy from glucose.
    And of course you're not gonna gain weight if you're gonna consume less calories than you're gonna burn.But your body composition could change.That's more important to me.
    Last edited by Wizard; 07-31-2001 at 09:27 AM.

I agree with blackalpha....

not to mention.....once insulin floods the bloodstream in order to lower the blood sugar, because of the surge of carbs.....if the glycogen stores are full...it deposits it as fat....and insulin also keps fat from being released to be used as energy....

too many carbs - high blood glucose - high insulin - fat storage/no fat release.

70% carbs for sedentary individuals is insanity!

bone crusher
    i agree wholeheartedly with alpha and tryska

well okay then...

glad to see we are all on the same page!

Isn't this the part where I'm supposed to disagree with everyone?

tuttut
    Cack,don't do it
    We're a happy family

I disagree.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

damn damn damn maki! we had a ka-tet going....

so umm..care to divulge why you disagree? or is this like "periodization."??

Maki how dare you. tuttut

I agree with Maki.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

oh fine so you agree with the the disagreement to our agreement. be that way. go ahead..all of ya's.

A healthy balanced meal does not consist of: 150g Carbs, 6g Protein, 20g Fat.

So I agree with Alpha, and the person after him, and the person after that..... and the one after that. Too many carbs, you are going to fill up glycogen stores, and inevitably store some as fat. If you're ever in ketosis, on a CKD... on the carb loading phase, try going a little bit overboard, just once.

See if that doesn't change your mind on the way you look at 70% carbs for the rest of your life.
    Last edited by Yaz; 07-31-2001 at 11:16 AM.