The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Big

Strong, but small chest.....help

I need some advice here.....i'm not sure what to do anymore. I'm 5'10 180....I take protein and cell-tech.....I benchpress 315 and incline 240, plus I do at least 2 other chest exercises every chest lift......but my chest is still small......advice anyone?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Need more information. How is your diet?
    I would suggest eating quite a bit more depending on the information. Beef, chicken, tuna, fish, etc. Lots of protein and a good diet will help you grow.

How man reps do you do on each set? You might be training for strenght instead of mass.

Big
    The thing is....I get plenty of protein. I'm 180 and have at LEAST 180 grams of protein everyday, and I'm gaining weight and strength....everything except in my chest...I do 4 chest exercises, Bench, Incline, Flies, and decline......Incline and Flies 3 sets 8 reps, My bench I go on percentages, using the Florida State weight program for my chest.....It's still small

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    wow, that's impressive. some things can affect ur TYPE of gains, such as diet and workout scheme. if u do heavy lifts, u will get stronger, and not necessarily get bigger (like powerlifting).

how long have u lifted? for me, i hit "sporadic" growth spurts. like, for 2 years, i stayed the same wegith for like 9 months, and in springtime, i gain like 15-20lbs of muscle w/o gaining bodyfat. however, my strength gains were not correlated w/ the muscle gain, and was consistent throughout the year

also, 180g of protein is a lot and should be more than enough for muscle. HOWEVER, there are other things to consider than just protein:
    how much calories do u take? remmeber, your protein will be used as energy if you dont' have an alternate form of energy (carbs and fat). so, make sure u get enough non-protein cals to sustain ur BMR b4 increasing your protein intake, and lifting increases your BMR. in terms of chest gains, maybe your body needs more resources to build that region.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

what are the percentages?? so about how many reps do you go for at each %.
    JEEP is a 4 letter word, therefore it must be dirty.

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
    This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...

I am addicted to fast food...

Big
    I've been lifting for about 3 years......and I do get enough carbs and fats....so I'm not sure what the problem can be.....and my percentages are usually something like 60% 10 reps, 72% 8 reps 77% 6 reps 82 % 5 reps and then 85% 5 reps.....something to that effect......and something that's odd, I'm gaining weight, and my bench keeps going up, but my chest just won't get bigger. I look like I bench 215 instead of what I really bench which is 315.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by SwoleCoon27
    I've been lifting for about 3 years......and I do get enough carbs and fats....so I'm not sure what the problem can be.....and my percentages are usually something like 60% 10 reps, 72% 8 reps 77% 6 reps 82 % 5 reps and then 85% 5 reps.....something to that effect......and something that's odd, I'm gaining weight, and my bench keeps going up, but my chest just won't get bigger. I look like I bench 215 instead of what I really bench which is 315.
    Are you progessivelly incrementing the weight? If you aren't after a while you are just wasting your time at the gym.

He must have been... Otherwise he wouldn't be at 315 right?
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

Big
    Right, my weight goes up all the time

your triceps might take most of the workload. how much can you close grip bench?? i am sure it has a lot to do with genetic make up as well. my back way overpowers my chest and my tri's way overpower my bi's. no matter what i do, i am stuck with this. i dont fight it. as long as i am seeing gains in my weights, something is bound to give.
    JEEP is a 4 letter word, therefore it must be dirty.

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
    This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...

I am addicted to fast food...

Big
    I don't do close grip bench....it hurts my elbows. So you are saying it's genetics possibly? I guess that's a possibility, because no one in my family has been "big" but there has to be a way to get passed it, I know plenty of people with small relatives that are enormous. And what's funny is......i'm stronger than some of these people, I'm just smaller!

Wannabebig Member
    If you have been lifting for 3 years and this is still a problem area, I would mix your routine up...instead of always doing bench first, incline second...maybe start with some flies and pec-dec then go to bench. This will help exhaust your chest completely. I would bet your tri's are failing on you before your chest can get adequate work, which would make sense since the tri's are a much smaller muscle than the chest. No you won't be able to look cool and bench 315 so you will have to check your ego at the door but your chest will be screaming. I would also switch to dumbells for a while also. Keep your body guessing!

Wannabebig Member
    Could be genetics. Sounds like you might be focusing in your tri's during chest lifts and not noticing it. I'd spread your hands farther out during benching movements. You might try some cable flys. Reegular DB flys stress the chest at the bottom, but not much at the top. Standing Cable flys keep the stress on the muscle especially at the contracted postition.

I say the very best, IMO, is DB decline press. Very chest specific and according to electromyographical research, they produce the greatest percentage of fibre participation. Good Luck!
    Intensity!!! Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!

Big
    I'm not sure what my chest measurement is........I guess a possibility is that my triceps are getting a lot of the work....because they are pretty big for my size......but my bench form is great......my hands are spread pretty wide, so it's not that. I'm going to try some more dumbell exercises like many have suggested. I already to incline and flies with dumbells.....but like someone else mentioned cable flies, I do those also. I'm telling you....seems like i've tried everything. You should see me....my biceps/tris/shoulders/traps are all big.....but when the shirt comes off you might have to squint to see my chest(exaggeration).....but you know what I mean.

Wannabebig Member
    feel for ya bro...sounds genetic to me, give those DECLINE DB's a try....not a severe decline either....I usually only do it on the first decline level....get into too severe a decline and you'll be bringing the tri's too much into it...counter productive for your goals, almost like a dip....which those are good too. Good luck man!
    Intensity!!! Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!