The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

made a mistake and need to bail out on my gym membership

the new gym i joined sucks ass big time and i wanna go back to my old gym but the problem is i already signed a one year membership. i wasnt thinking and acted rash because i was mad at my initial gym for various reasons.

i talked to someone at the gym about canceling it but he said my excuse wasnt good enough. i have only been with them for a week and i feel they should let me out because im not happy at all. their gym equipment is sooo cheap and its alot busier they what they said. their leg press at this $hit hole is awful, its an arched seat instead of a square style which is death to the back.

anyone have any suggestions how i can get out of this one year contract? they take out money every month out of my bank account.

what would you guys do if you were in my situation?.

i didnt pay any sign up fee's, i just have to pay $69 on the 15th for processing fee's and the first month, then $40 every month after that.

thanks
    Last edited by someoneunlikeyo; 03-10-2003 at 09:24 PM.
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Have a long talk with the manager and make up excuses I guess
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Many states have laws that will allow a person to back out of any business contract within a certain number of days (here I think that it is 3) so check that first.

At the gym where I work we offer a 10 day money back guarantee, but not every guy does that. The membership people will honor it, but they will always try to talk you out of it. Many still cancel but a lot of people won't if we can make it "right" (for example someone didn't like their trainer so I give them a few sessions or something like that).

At my gym we also have a high regard for our status at the better business bureau. Many gyms could care less but my manager and owner respond very quickly to BBB enquiries. I know another local gym that has a horrible record and could care less.

We also have "outs" such as moving +50 miles away (proof of change of address needed) or doctor's note/illness that says you will not be able to work out, etc.

...and then you can just be a pain in the ass. At our club if you break rules we kick you out without fufilling the contract (but we are a fitness club not a gym so are rules are easy to break). Some other gyms could care less if you slam the dumbbells down to the floor from a standing position. Me....I've kicked out 3 meatheads so far for that stupidity.

I guess it really depends on the gym itself. Grab your contract and start looking for the loopholes.

Good luck,

David

my gym has the same moving away clause, but its 15 miles. your first step is talking to the gym and just seeing if they will be cool about it. then ask if they have the moving away policy and then show them a college app or something from an out of state college. numerous tactics to work that out.

or cancel your bank accnt, how they gunna get yer money now?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Use chalk lots of it. Even when you are doing leg work. Never clean up after.
    w00t

Wannabebig Member
    go in there hoisting a lead pipe and start talking wildly about their kneecaps

or not. sorry I don't actually have any good ideas. Good luck though.
    "why don't you two go to the gym and pump each other" - Fletch F. Fletch

Originally posted by GonePostal
    God I so hate people like you.

You should try that. I would so kick a guy out for that.

too bad your in calgary, or else i would come up there and get midevil for ya!!! go to a doctor, and then hold a large poundage in one hand and it will look like your shoulder is dislocated when you get an X-Ray.
    pizzle!!!
    JEEP is a 4 letter word, therefore it must be dirty.

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
    This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...

I am addicted to fast food...

I hope at least you've learned your lesson:

Don't sign a long 1 year contract unless you're 100% sure it's something you want to do.

Maybe tell them you're moving to the states, or some other country. Maybe they won't require proof of residence in that case.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Don't pay them and don't go back to the gym. Cancel the CC you put the membership on.

you should have a 10-day cancwellation policy. especially with a long term contract of any type. jsut be adamant.

tell them you want to cancel and raise holy hell if they tell you it's not somethign you can do. tell them you want to speak to their boss, or their bosses boss, or the corporate office or whatever the hell.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

i used to work membership ata gym. we allowed cancelling agreement if movin more than 25 miles away, or a doctors note proved they couldn't train. I know of some gyms that have legally binding contracts, yet others only have agreements which you cannot legally be held to.

Or you could be such a pain in the arse whilst training that they ask you to leave and never come back...........................

thanks alot guys and tryska

yeah i sure learned my lesson from this one, make sure you inspect everything.

im going to try the 10 day cancelation thing tryska mentioned.

millertime: what do you mean cancel the CC on the membership? does this have to do with my bank or dealing with the gym, thanks.
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by someoneunlikeyo
    thanks alot guys and tryska

yeah i sure learned my lesson from this one, make sure you inspect everything.

im going to try the 10 day cancelation thing tryska mentioned.

millertime: what do you mean cancel the CC on the membership? does this have to do with my bank or dealing with the gym, thanks.
    Cancelling your bank account or your credit card or whatever it's charged on isn't a good idea because the creditors will eventually get to you and your credit can go bye bye

Originally posted by Mystic Eric
    Cancelling your bank account or your credit card or whatever it's charged on isn't a good idea because the creditors will eventually get to you and your credit can go bye bye
    Your credit will not be shot for a $26 membership fee. Even if they report you to give you bad credit you can always protest it. Also its a gym not american express they may not even bother to come after you for the money.

I'm with the other guy. Use lots and lots of chalk and never clean up after yourself. Here are some other things to try: Yell when doing anything, even if it is a warmup set with the bar. Curse LOUDLY when you miss a lift. Bring bands, chains, and a box to the gym. Drop your weights when deadlifting.

someonelikeyo... check your PM's!
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Wannabebig Member

chalk thing

That is hilarious.. Try that... IF you have any friends at the gym ask them to go and complain about u.. have them say they will cancel there membership... no gym wants that.. they will ask u to leave before a loyal customer... I think closing your bank account would work and then starting a new one.. but yeah the chalk one would really work.. ..lol

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by Hercule
    I'm with the other guy. Use lots and lots of chalk and never clean up after yourself. Here are some other things to try: Yell when doing anything, even if it is a warmup set with the bar. Curse LOUDLY when you miss a lift. Bring bands, chains, and a box to the gym. Drop your weights when deadlifting.
    Just to add to this. Swear when you do make a lift. Swear like a crazy mofo and act like your the king of the gym. Insulting others will also do it. That and throwing weights around the gym, to make it seem as they are made of paper.
    w00t

I wish I had better news but most everyone here while trying to be helpful has been giving you advice, that at times is amusing but will not, in fact help you much.

If you sign a contract, you are bound by the terms of that contract, as is the party you are contracting with. Each of you has a legal obligation to perform the promises listed in the contract. If either of you fails to live up to your end of the bargain, then the other party may seek his available remedies, which may be arbitration, or more likely a law suit for money damages.

The contract you signed must be read and read carefully. If it does have a clause which allows you out of it within a certain number of days, and you are inside that window, then you are fine. If you are outside that window, or there is no clause re: cancellation, then you my friend have made a very expensive mistake.

Never, and I mean never sign a long term contract to a fitness facility. These are notoriously bad ideas. What you are actually doing is promising to pay them X number of dollars per month for the next year or whatever. This has the same effect as if they had loaned you that money and now expected you to pay it back. Also, fitness facilities are famous for kicking real lifters out and not giving them a refund.

As for the poster who thought that 40 bucks a month would not effect your credit, that is false. Also, thinking a fitness facility would not go after you for the money is a pipe dream as well. If you break a contract for 40 a month one month in to it, then you have screwed me out of 480 bucks. I can turn you over to a collection company who will rape your credit, and do whatever is necessary to get me my money back and all I have to do is give them half of what they recover.

Think about it from the business' perspective. Right now they have no money from you. With almost no effort at all, they can have $240 in their pocket, and they don't have to deal with you using their equipment, and raising their overhead. The best thing they could do from a business perspective, is to have you sign up and never go to the gym. If you are not at the gym, you are not tearing up their equipment and causing them to expend money on new stuff.

Best of luck to you, but unless there is a clause which allows you out (read the contract very carefully) then you are stuck. And yes, in case anyone is wondering, I am a lawyer.

B.

What kind of lawyer are you? I plan on being a lawyer.

I agree with Benchmonster. There gonna come after you for the money. I had a creditor after me for 95 bucks. If you make an ass of your self they migh kick you out and still collect the money, then your getting nothing. Try going to you doctor and tell him your back hurts whenever your wo, he might give you slip saying don't wo. You don't have to cancel your bank account, just tell them you no longer want direct withdrawl to the gym.

Could try making think you moved somehow. Get creative.
    Tell them your going to jail, use your imagination on the charge.
    Me I am the kind of asshole who would tempted to print up 100 flyers and plater them all over saying the gym suck. You'll be out more money but feel better. That and nag the **** out of them

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by GonePostal

LOL

Take Rodent 500 with you
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

Originally posted by BUFF STUFF
    Take Rodent 500 with you

Bahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny shiat BUFF STUFF.