The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

I need a new back routine

Well, here's the thing...

For the past couple months, I've been doing the following exercises:

Assisted Pullups @ 3 sets 6-8 reps
    Deadlifts @ 3 sets 6-8 reps
    Bent-over Rows @ 3 sets 6-8 reps

I can't seem to get anything out of my lats. My traps feel like they're the only part of my back that's gotten any work at all. I am thinking about changing up and would like to see what you could suggest. Thanks guys

Timastyle
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Don't all help at once now

Ever thought about a low row like DB rows are cables rows?? How is your form on pull ups?? maybe you could go wider/in-more or underhand/overhand. maybe try a supported T-Bar row. on the 3rd set, you could always go up and go til failure. maybe try for 4 -6 reps max. I have a pretty good back and i never do dead lifts. the other day was the first time i have ever done them before. you could also do 4 exercises, that is if you have been training long enough and do back once a week.
    good luck!!!
    let me know what you think
    JEEP is a 4 letter word, therefore it must be dirty.

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone in
    This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...

I am addicted to fast food...

Originally posted by Timastyle
    Don't all help at once now
    chill out, i was in the middle of posting...

This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...

My bad SWOLE, it's just i've posted this for a while now and no response. Thanks for your info and for your info, all my sets are to pretty much failure. What do you think is the most effective exercise for your lats? My form on my pullups is good. I'm not so sure about my deads though. It just doesn't feel like I do them right and there's no one in my gym that does it. What's your back routine like? Thanks again for your info.

I meant your form, like grip and stuff...
    anyways..
    What really kicks my backs ass is T-Bar rows. My upper back gets really thick from them. this is my routine...
    Supported T-Bar rows
    Hammer Strenght Pulldowns (or narrow grip lat pulldowns, underhand grip, same principle, but HS is better)
    Hammer Strenght Low Row (sometimes i do cable rows, same principle as well)
    Wide grip underhand weighted chins ( or sometimes i do a lat pulldown with a different bar that if my hands were up in the air, my palms would be facing each other, with a wide grip and a pulldown to the chest, works wonders for your lats)

I like to do the forst 2 sets of 6-8 reps, then always go up and try and get 4-6 reps. but right now i switched it up to 10 reps just to go a little lighter because my joints ache, i am an old man....
    check out my back pics on the member pics section, i dont know if that is the development you are looking for.
    pizzle

if you werer really gods gift to women, you would have a perfect back

Thanks, i'll probably give it a try.

Double check your form, and consider using other lifts.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

50 chins to warmup
    3 sets of deads
    3 sets of bb row
    3 sets of 1 arm db row
    3 sets of pulldowns (last 2 sets do 3 strips)
    3 sets of cable rows

works for me

Paul, that's the question I have...What other lifts can I do? I think my form is pretty much on the money, but I may be wrong. I've checked www.exrx.com and my form looks to be right. For deads, I just can't seem to do them right. My form is good with light weights, but when I try to increase it, I get all out of sync. But with good form on the light weights, I can do too many reps with no failure until about the 15th rep. What do you think I should do about that?

Tony, what are 3 strips? How do those work? Never heard of it. You do 50 consecutive chins to warm up?

Now a question for everyone else...

If I start to stop progressing and need to change my routine, do I need to change exercises, days, groupings of muscles on the same day or what? I'm not too sure how that works. And what if one body part is still progressing and another isn't, do I still change it up? Any input on that would be helpful. Thanks.

Here's my $0.02.

You should always be changing up the excercises you do. Constant rotation of excercises and/or order of excercises keeps your body guessing.

For your deads, if you have good form for sets of 15, try slowing down the motion. Try adding some more weight, and slowing down each rep. The biggest thing I find is bending my knees to get my butt down low enough... a lot of people have a hard time doing that and end up bending at the waist and putting too much pressure on their backs. Just a thought...

I will do deads every second back workout. I'd do them first and do about 3-4 working sets. I usually do wide grip pullups (3 sets), BB rows (3 sets), HS pulldowns (3 sets). I'll sometimes do a pulldown dropset at the end of my workout to really max out my pump.
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Thanks workhorse. Sounds good. I'll have to try deads the way you explained them and see how they go. If you can, can you please explain to me the correct way, step-by-step on how to do deads. I have seen the www.exrx.net video on how to do it, but that doesn't explain it too well. Got any more sites or anything to help me out? Thanks again.

Not only should you be changing up the exercises you do, but keep in mind that deadlifts are not for your lats at all. Regardless of whether youre doing sumo deadlifts or conventional its still not a direct lat exercise at all.

If I were you I would go with a vertical row, such as chins or pulldowns. Heavy of course, in the 5-12 rep range. And of course a horizontal row, such as bentover rows, seated cable rows, or chest-supported rows. I also like to throw in some kind of pullovers. I think for the most part support rows and underhand chins have really helped me lats grow.

Good luck man. And change things up! Keep it interesting. Go extremely low reps, extremely high reps, etc.

I try to go low reps and heavy weights, but I got back problems that start acting up now and again and i have to be carefull. For example, I couldn't do any seated rows yesterday cuz my back was hurting. I got it checked out and they said it was nothing. I think they're wrong, but with no medical, I can't afford to get it REALLY checked. What do you mean by supported rows are and do you have a wide or narrow grip for the chins monstar. Thanks

Here is my new routine that i started this week, lemme know what you guys think:

Monday: Chest

3 sets DB Bench
    3 sets DB Incline bench
    3 sets Flyes
    3 sets Dips

Tuesday: Back

3 sets Chin-ups
    3 sets Deads
    3 sets BB Bent-over-rows
    3 sets DB Rows

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Legs, Shoulders

3 sets Squats
    3 sets leg extensions
    3 sets SLDL
    3 sets leg( that machine that's used for hams)
    3 sets calf raises
    2 sets DB OH presses
    2 sets DB raises
    2 sets Front DB raises

Friday: Arms

3 sets Skullcrushers
    3 sets Kickbacks
    3 sets Pushdowns
    3 sets BB curls
    3 sets Incline DB curls
    3 sets Hammer curls

Saturday: Off

Sunday: Off

All these are to be done to failure at 6-8 reps. I have no one to spot me, that's why so many of my exercises are done with DBs.

Anything to guys can say to help me out with this routine, I would appreciate. Thanks

I forgot to tell you that i do 2 dropsets for shrugs too.

See ya

Here's my take:
    I can do a ton of pullups and have very good lock off strength for pulling down because I rock climb a lot, which is the near equivalent of a few hundred one arm pulldowns each session. I have also gained a ton (for me) of mass in my lower back by deadlifting twice a week, conventional on back day, and stiff-legged on leg day.

The key for development was working my back 2+ times per week. As a skinny dude, I don't think that 1 day for back is enough. It may be for you, but my path to back strength was 30+ pullups at least every other day. And then deadlift for lower back. Everything else is cheddar and as mentioned, should/can be rotated often. I do DB/cable/machine rows when I feel like it, and I do shrugs on back day too. But deads and pullups CANNOT be replaced, in my very humble opinion.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 03-12-2003 at 10:32 PM.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Monday: Chest
    Tuesday: Back
    Thursday: Legs, Shoulders
    Friday: Arms
    I think that legs and shoulders are too much to put in one day. As far as I am concerned, if you have energy to do shoulders after legs, then you probably haven't done legs hard enough. However, shoulder and arms are typically done together and you could easily combine them.

I wouldn't bother with that many sets for arms. 3 sets/2 exercises for both tris/bis should be more than enough if you do them with appropriate intensity. Throw in 2 exercises for shoulders and you are set.

Also, you leg day is very close to back day re: deads/SLDLs I suggest swapping back and chest or swapping leg and arm. Otherwise your split looks good.

The chest-supported rows are exactly that man. Your chest is supported against a pad and youre rowing with your arms free. Pulling the weight generally towards the pad. I use an underhand, overhand, and parallel-grip. Try and mix it up like I said. With chins too, all grips.

thanks mix and monstar. Sounds good.