The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Design Me A Plan

Hey guys,

i wanted your ideas on a diet plan.

Im a 5'7, 134lbs female with 26% body fat:mad:

I want to get that bf percentage down!! My ideal weight is to be between 123-127lbs

Im a Ovolactovegetarian, so no red meat or seafood.

I do eat eggs and the occasional Tuna.

HELP!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Back at it
    First off, the last thing you should do is get discouraged with your bodyfat because 26% is not all that much for a girl. I had a girlfriend at 21% and she was a bony skeleton.

Ovolactovegetarian? Sounds like a dinosaur.

The best approach to this is to begin counting your calories by including everything you eat in a day, and posting your average daily food intake (types/amounts). Heck, just record them for the next couple days.

How old are you? Age can make a big difference in what approach to take.

Eggs & tuna= good
    Carbs= not too many (you NEED some)
    Fat= low saturated (some omega's)

*Once you post how your diet is, we can help show you what you're doing wrong and guide you in the right direction.

Take the advice given in the previous thread and come up with a diet plan and then post it for other members to look at. The reason I say this is because you know what kind of foods you enjoy eating and you are not likely to stick to a diet that someone else has planned for you. Get something down on paper and I am sure everyone will be happy to help.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    5'7 134?! I strongly advice you maintain that weight, not lose it. But it would help if you do cardio once or twice a week, with some lifting in there.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig Member
    thanks guys, i start recording everythign today and ill give you a diet porfile within the next couple days.

Response to Ironman: I want to maintain 134lbs. I dont have a problem with the scale, it could read 150lbs for all i cared. The problem is the body fat. I want to look toned!!

Grasshoppa
    I'd probably put a bit of muscle on that frame to maintain that weight. You'd be a bony stick otherwise, I imagine. In any case, you say no seafood...is tuna not considered seafood?
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Good observation Shao-Lin

I occasionally eat Tuna..or else my protein sources would be minimal.

What are good proten sources for a vegetarian. Tofu can be hight in fat...adn so are nuts/pb etc.

Back at it
    Do a search on vegan protein sources and the such. Many foods such as wheat and other plant sources have a considerable amount of protein, but they do not have a complete amino acid profile. However, by combining certain sources such as wheat and nuts you can get a complete amino acid profile, hence a complete protein. That's just an example... I"m not sure if those two actually combine to work.

Good job being a partial vegetarian (Tuna is still meat fyi).

Try those vegan bean and cheese burritos. High in protein and tastes like the real thing, whithout all the cholesterol.

Wannabebig Member
    Hey folks im back.

Heres my diet for the past few days..(not i slipped up yesterday)

Day 1:
    breakfast
    1 cup all bran flakes
    3/4 cup skim milk
    1/3 cup sunflower seeds
    i banana

lunch
    2 cups spinach salad with 1/2 tomato, 1 cup carrots, 1/2 cup non fat cottage cheese and 3 tbsp fat free raspberry vinagrette dressing

dinner:
    meditterean bean casserole
    1/2 cup mixed beans (lima, kidney)
    1 cup cooked brown rice

Day 2:
    Breakfast
    2 peices of toast with 3/4 cup egg whites
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 c non fat cottage cheese

lunch:
    1 cup tossed salad and 1 cup tuna

snack:
    1 cup coffee
    2 caramel rice crackers

dinner:
    2 pc toast with 2 tbsp pb
    1 cup vegetable soup (campbell)

Day 3:

breakfast
    2/3 c all bran flakes
    1/2 c skim milk
    i pc toast
    1 tbsp rasp jam
    1/2 c cottage cheese

lunch: pizza:
    1 pc toast
    1/2 c silken tofu
    30 g cheddar cheese
    1 tbsp diced green pepper
    2 tbsp pizza sauce

snack
    1 med size anjou pear
    1 med sized orange

1 pc homemade banana bread (man i dont even wanna know how bad this move was)
    1 small handful of choc covered raisins

i drink about 8-12 glasses of water each day!

Go nuts guys. Critique this. ANd give me some ideas. I need more variety especially when it comes to protein. As you have probably noticed as well, i like "quick" meals. Im not much of a cook, unless im preparing for other people. For myself...i like things that i can prepare quickly.

Oh man, get more fat in your diet!! If you think fat makes you fat, you're wrong.

First I would increase the number of meals to maybe 5 or 6. The foods you are eating look like good choices. Might want to throw in some flax/fish oil to get some omega-3 fats in your diet.

If getting enough protein becomes a problem you could always get a protein powder of some sort.
    Last edited by bradley; 03-21-2003 at 02:54 AM.

I am impressed with your detailed records. It makes analyzing the diet easy. The nutritional values seem to vary alot by day, so I will list comments for specific days separately.

Day 1:
    This day probaly has about 1200-1300 calories and 40-50% carb, 35-45% fat, and 10-20% protein. The fat probably suprises you. There are a few hidden sources. For example the sunflower seeds probably have about 25g of fat. The salad dressing also probably has a lot.

You are probably getting under .4g/lb protein. This is an especially significant concern for vegatarians since plant protein is less digestable than animal protiens and there may be issues with completeness. This is under the RDA for a sedinatry person, and is certainly not enough for a dieting athlete. I would suggest cutting back on the fat and increasing protein to about 0.8g/lb, maybe a bit higher (assuming your are involved in athletic activities and are trying to maintain muscle). Tuna is a good source (you ate tuna on day 2).

You may need more calories. Very low calorie diets can make your body burn calories more effciently and make it more difficult to lose weight in the future. In addition, they put you at risk for numerous health problems.

You did an excellent job of getting your nutrients with such few calories. The beans are very healthy. Some possible problem areas are Vitamin C, Calcium, Vitamin D, and maybe Zinc. I would suggest adding some more dairy, perhaps another glass of milk. This will help get Calcium, Vitamin D, and protein. I would also suggest adding a fruit of vegable with a good amount of Vitamin C. I agree with Bradley's recommendation to add more meals.

Day 2:
    This day probably had about the usual 1200 calories. It probably had better macronutrients than day 1 (considering it is a very low cal diet), perhaps 30-45% carb, 25-35% fat, and 30-40% protein. This was probably still a little low on protein because of the low calorie intake. This day probably had all the Vitamin/Mineral problems of Day1 + Iron, Folate, and some of the B Vitamins, maybe magnesium also. In addition to the suggestions of day 1, beans would help for B Vitamins, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, and Protein.

Day 3:
    This day probably had close to the usual calories. The fat percentage looks good, but protein is quite a bit too low, probably under 0.4g/lb, like day 1. This is the only day in which you probably met the Vitamin C requirement, becuase of the Orange. Unfortunately it is likely to be deficient in most other common Vitmin/Minerals including Vit A, some B vits, D, and E. Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium, and maybe Iron too. Adding milk and beans would help, but what would benefit most of all is more calories.

You mentioned you want to get your body fat down. I would suggest increasing activity, instead of cutting calories this low. Doing both cardio and weights is an excellent way to improve body composition.
    Last edited by aka23; 03-21-2003 at 12:34 PM.

Re: Design Me A Plan

Originally posted by MJ23
    Hey guys,

so no red meat or seafood.

I do eat eggs and the occasional Tuna.

HELP!!
    This why I can't have a successful relationship. I just don't think like a woman does.

Wannabebig Member
    aka 23,
    Thanks a bunch for the in depth analysis! Any ideas on what otehr protein sources I should look into?

Originally posted by aka23
    I am impressed with your detailed records. It makes analyzing the diet easy. The nutritional values seem to vary alot by day, so I will list comments for specific days separately.

Day 1:
    This day probaly has about 1200-1300 calories and 40-50% carb, 35-45% fat, and 10-20% protein. The fat probably suprises you. There are a few hidden sources. For example the sunflower seeds probably have about 25g of fat. The salad dressing also probably has a lot.

You are probably getting under .4g/lb protein. This is an especially significant concern for vegatarians since plant protein is less digestable than animal protiens and there may be issues with completeness. This is under the RDA for a sedinatry person, and is certainly not enough for a dieting athlete. I would suggest cutting back on the fat and increasing protein to about 0.8g/lb, maybe a bit higher (assuming your are involved in athletic activities and are trying to maintain muscle). Tuna is a good source (you ate tuna on day 2).

You may need more calories. Very low calorie diets can make your body burn calories more effciently and make it more difficult to lose weight in the future. In addition, they put you at risk for numerous health problems.

You did an excellent job of getting your nutrients with such few calories. The beans are very healthy. Some possible problem areas are Vitamin C, Calcium, Vitamin D, and maybe Zinc. I would suggest adding some more dairy, perhaps another glass of milk. This will help get Calcium, Vitamin D, and protein. I would also suggest adding a fruit of vegable with a good amount of Vitamin C. I agree with Bradley's recommendation to add more meals.

Day 2:
    This day probably had about the usual 1200 calories. It probably had better macronutrient ratios than day 1, perhaps 30-45% carb, 25-35% fat, and 30-40% protein. This was probably still a little low on protein because of the low calorie intake. This day probably had all the Vitamin/Mineral problems of Day1 + Iron, Folate, and some of the B Vitamins, maybe magnesium also. In addition to the suggestions of day 1, beans would help for B Vitamins, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, and Protein.

Day 3:
    This day probably had close to the usual calories. The fat percentage looks good, but protein is quite a bit too low, probably under 0.4g/lb, like day 1. This is the only day in which you probably met the Vitamin C requirement, becuase of the Orange. Unfortunately it is likely to be deficient in most other common Vitmin/Minerals including Vit A, some B vits, D, and E. Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium, and maybe Iron too. Adding milk and beans would help, but what would benefit most of all is more calories.

You mentioned you want to get your body fat down. I would suggest increasing activity, instead of cutting calories this low. Doing both cardio and weights is an excellent way to improve body composition.

I would say some good protein sources would be dairy products, eggs, fish, beans, tofu, nuts, and protein powder. Although it will be hard to get adequate amounts of protein from nuts due to the high fat content.

A good multivitamin would probably help you in making sure that you are getting all of the recommended amounts of vitamins and minerals in your diet. Aka23 made some good observations. I would still suggest more fat in the form of omega-3's to help balance out the omega-3 to omega-6 ratio.

Ya, Omega-3s and Omega-6s are important.

Originally posted by MJ23
    aka 23,
    Thanks a bunch for the in depth analysis! Any ideas on what otehr protein sources I should look into?
    The largest sources of protein in your current diet are listed below. I think this covers the main sources in a vegetarian type diet, besides unnatural specialty products. Many vegetables (which are not listed below) are high% protein even though they are poor sources, due to their low calorie content. For example a cup of broccoli has about 6g protein and 40% of calories from protein. The 6g is lower than almost all items listed below, but the 40% of calories from protein is better than all but the animal sources. Note that other types of fish besides the tuna are also good protein sources.

1 cup tuna -- ~35g protein, ~160 calories (>90% of calories from protein)
    1 cup egg white -- ~17g protein, ~80 calories (>95% of calories from protein)
    1/2 cup cottage cheese -- ~13g protein, ~100 calories (~50% of calories from protein)
    1 cup skim milk -- ~9g protein, ~90 calories (~40% of calories from protein)
    1 cup sliken tofu -- ~8g protein, ~90 calories (~35% of calories from protein)
    1 cup beans -- ~13g protein, ~200 calories (~25% of calories from protein)
    1/2 cup cheddar cheese -- ~14g protein, ~225 calories (~25% of calories from protein)
    2 tablespoon PB -- ~8g protein, ~200 calories (~15% calories from protein)
    1/3 cup sunflower seeds -- ~10g protein, ~280 calories (~15% of calories from protein)
    2 slices WW bread -- ~5g protein, ~140 calories (~15% of calories from protein)

The easiest way to up your protein without increasing calories much is to increase the foods with a high% protein such as tuna and eggs. The cottage cheese and skim milk are also decent sources of protein, and these two foods also help with your calcium. The protein in these animal sources is higher quality (better digestion, absorbtion, completeness, etc) than most plant sources. It is also good to include a variety of different types of plant protein sources for completeness (beans combine with grains, etc.) and nutrition.
    Last edited by aka23; 03-21-2003 at 06:59 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Can she eat peanuts?
    Height:6'1
    Weight:180lbs
    bf%:Last year it was 17%, probably 17-20% now.

I'm just a guy who once worked out like the rest of you probably do and am looking for some inspiration and help to get started again and stay on track.

Goal:250lbs at 12% Bodyfat.

^The above is something I hope to accomplish before the age of 28.

No, I am not gay, I just want to avoid typing this 10 times in the future.

Peanuts are good but are a better fat source than protein. Have you tried TVP. Textured Vegetable Protein. It's not that bad and it kinda taste like meat if prepared right. From my understanding it is a good choice for vegetarians and a good source of protein. The stuff is cheap as well and you can get it at a bulk store. What about adding some protein powder like bradley suggested.

Wannabebig Member
    I buy the Yves brand veggie burgers ad tofu dogs. Those are patties are about 99cal, 14g of protein, 6.7 carbs and .8 grams of fat.
    teh weiners are 46 cal each, 9g pro, 0 carbs and 0 fat.

i lov emy carbs though....it sucks. So i really need to work hard at cutting those down.
    How many carbs a day would you recommend to put on lbm for a girl?

i lov emy carbs though....it sucks. So i really need to work hard at cutting those down.
    How many carbs a day would you recommend to put on lbm for a girl?
    Overall calories would be what determines if you gain weight or not.

Ya. People only condemn carbs it has 4 calories per gram. The truth is that people excess carbs, would be exceed calories for weight gain. It isn't carbs itself that makes you gain weight.