The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Lagging Traps!

Anavar eating mofo

Lagging Traps!

Ok, I need some serious help here. Every week my shoulders are getting bigger and broader. I guess they respond really well to the exercises I do. But my traps refuse to grow. I look ridiculous! You cant have big shoulders and no traps! Here is my shoulder/trap/tricep day:

Arnold Press: 3 x 10
    DB presses: 3 x 10
    Upright Rows: 3 x 10
    BTB Barbell Shrugs: 3 x 10
    DB shrugs: 3 x 10
    Incline tricep extension: 3 x 10
    Skullcrusher: 3 x 10
    DB kickback: 3 x 10

What can I do to make my traps grow? They are lagging like bitches! I go heavy as f*ck on shrugs also. Please help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

do some heavy deadlifts with a slight shrug at the top of the movement, it makes the traps grow like mad; if this doesnt work then its prolly just genetics, we all have a weak lagging bodypart.
    "The harder you train, the harder it is to give up" ~Vince Lombardi~

Wannabebig Member
    when you do Uprights focus on pinching your neck with your shoulders and not how high you get the weight and switch to barbell shrugs and the deadlift thing.
    live to lift

You just have relatively weak traps, you are alreay exercising them sufficiently, I would just concentrate on progressing on the exercises you already do. You may also wish to try the trap exercise I suggested on a thread a while back (in lieu of the 2 exercises you do now).

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Cut down your volume a bit. Also, start doing traps with back. Do heavy deads and at the end of your back workout, do 2 sets of heavy shrugs.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Powerlifter/Bodybuilder
    Hang Cleans, that's what I recommend for traps, when I do them, I totally feel it working my traps, much better than shrugs or any other exercises, but it varies from person to person. I noticed a huge difference after a month of doing Hang Cleans, and even doing light weights is still good, they are a killer exercise though.
    It takes TIME + PATIENCE to make gains.

I agree with T+P, hang cleans are excellent for trap development.So are snatch-grip deadlifts.My current trap routine is:
    1)Dumbell Shrugs 1 triple-strip set of 8-10 reps
    2)Dumbell Upright Rows 2 sets of 6-8 reps
    My traps have been growing like crazy the past six weeks.

Wannabebig New Member
    When you do shrugs do you lift up and then rotate your shoulders backward? It works traps much better then just lifting up and down.

When you do cleans isn't the part where you bring the bar up the same motion as a vertical row? Just seems like the same exercise as far as traps go to me...please correct me if i'm wrong.

When you shrug hold the contraction for 2 seconds at the top before lowering the weight. Mebbe you aren't targeting them enough or something. Concentrate on the muscle while you go through your routine...should help some...i agree with deadlifts in any case...they rule...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    elpietro when cleaning it is important not to bend the arms till you finish the shrug when you upright row you bend your arms at the very beginning of the movement.
    live to lift

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Originally posted by Internal Rage
    When you do shrugs do you lift up and then rotate your shoulders backward? It works traps much better then just lifting up and down.

One of these guys who have a better knowledge of physiology can give the science behind it, but doing them in this manner can mess up your shoulders. I'm pretty sure it is bad for the rotators. Up and down is fine for shrugs.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Anavar eating mofo
    Rotating your shoulders on a shrug exercise f*cks up your rotator cuff bad! I'll try the hang n' cleans but the last time I did that the weight went up and fell back behind my head and I went with it! OUCH!

if you were able to get your hang cleans above your head, you are either doing the wrong exercise (snatches go ABOVE the head, cleans to the collarbone) OR... you're using too light of a weight ;-)
    Last edited by pastdoubt; 08-01-2001 at 09:14 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Try these for traps- use- anything BB, DB-smith machine- do a shrug, hold it then from that position- do an upright row- double work in one set- really works for me- learned it from an M & F mag. a while ago.....helps forearms as well....