Thread: Why flex seed oil, why not olive oil??

Kaboom.. ??
    yeah you heard me~ =)

Kaboom.. ??
    Alrite...
    About 2 days ago i posted my diet down there.. But i believe it was gino... or someone else told me have flexseed oil then olive oil.. Why?? i though olive oil was good monosaturated fat source... Is there special reason?

MACHINE
    Omega 9 fatty acids(olive oil) are much different than Omega 3 fatty acids(flaxseed). Yeah, you heard me

By Peter Jaret
    WebMD Medical News

May 19, 2000 -- Robert Vogel, MD, tested the effects of three different meals on a group of 10 volunteers who had normal cholesterol levels. One meal consisted of canola oil and bread. Another was olive oil and bread. The third meal was a piece of salmon. All three meals contained 50 grams of fat.

But their effect on blood vessels was very different. Before and again three hours after each meal, Vogel's team measured constriction of the volunteers' arteries. Sharp constriction can injure the inner lining of blood vessels, according to Vogel.

The arteries didn't constrict much after the salmon meal. After the meal containing canola oil, they constricted slightly, reducing blood flow by 11%. After the olive oil and bread combination, however, blood flow plummeted 34% -- exactly the effect that Vogel had seen in previous research after volunteers ate a Big Mac with fries.

The Hidden Culprit

Vogel believes the culprits in olive oil are the omega-9 fatty acids that make up most of the oil. These fatty acids seem to cause blood vessels to constrict. Omega-3 fatty acids, in contrast -- the same kind found in fish oil, and the ones added to canola oil -- don't appear to have this effect. What's that got to do with heart disease? "When
    blood vessels constrict, their lining, called the endothelium, may be injured," says Vogel. "Repeated injuries can add up to a higher risk of coronary heart disease." What's more, in people with diabetes, which typically causes damage to blood vessel linings, the effect of olive oil could worsen an already dangerous condition, Vogel says.

[Edited by gino on 01-30-2001 at 10:22 AM]

Kaboom.. ??
    I LEARNED SOMTHING NEW!!!
    THanks GINO!!! appreciate your reply!!
    ~~~~ TO THE HEALTH STORE!!! (to buy flexseed oil =_)

MACHINE
    You're very welcome. Flax is good stuff.(although I still indulge in olive oil every now and then) Keep liquid flax refrigerated to preserve the Omega 3 effectiveness.

Thanks, i learned something too. i tought Olive oil was just as good as flax, but i guess i dont know everything after all

Omega 3 and Omega 6 are the ONLY essential fatty acids required by the body. I recently read about hemp seed oil, having Omega-3 20%, Omega-6 58%, and Omega-9 11% (GLA is 1-2%). Although, they warn that you should not consume it if you have to take drug tests where you work.

[Edited by Anthony on 01-30-2001 at 07:50 PM]
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Gino,

Flax seed oil is completely different than Canola oil right?

From reading that would you advise somebody to use canola over olive oil in their eggs?

MACHINE
    Canola oil has SOME of flax's omega 3 fatty acid in it, but no where near as much. I wouldn't suggest adding ANY oil to eggs, but I guess if you must use one, use the canola...

sorry, my english isn't the greatest here, but from what i'm reading here, flaxseed oil is the best out of the bunch, canola is 2nd, and olive is 3rd?
    porkchop 2001 (c)