The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Maki's article, "A New Twist on Exercise"

This stems from Maki's article, which, if I understand this whole vCode thing, should be here.

I guess I was intrigued by the one-sided barbell squat. In my weeks since I read the article, that somehow mutated into a one sided barbell bench press, which I tried yesterday. It felt really weird.

Questions:

1) Any benefit/reason to do a one-sided barbell squat? (ie--for hypertrophy, or is it the same, in terms of hypertrophy, as doing a regular squat)

2) Any benefit/reason to do a one-sided barbell bench press? (same as doing a regular bench press, so no reason do the unbalanced one-sided barbell bench press).

It felt really weird. Couldn't even handle a quarter on one side on the bench press. Threw my balance right off and practically sent me to the floor.

Any input is welcomed.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I have no idea why I did not see this. I'm sorry for the late reply.

Answer: The exercise in question was used as an example of how one might both physically and mentally challenge themselves once the day-to-day squat becomes rather tiersome.

It can also be likened to the whole fad surrounding the 'sports ball.' Most fitness professional jumped on the ball bandwagon and proclaimed it's shape toning abilities and boasted how the"core musculature" could be worked like no other tool. Myself included, was guilty of jumping on this bandwagon. However once I pulled myself away from this belief I started experimenting on how one could work their "core musculature" through the typical gym exercises we perform each day. This just happens to be one of them.

The empahsis of the one sided squat is based on particularly stressing the abdominal region and muscles that support the spine unilaterally (one sided). Although there is more to it than just this, that is the gist of it.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 03-17-2003 at 10:55 AM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah I know wot u mean maki, our gym has heavily engrosed the idea of core stability with the fit ball. Altho I can kinda understand some of the theory to support the fit ball ethos I did read on another, respectible site, that using more conventional equipment taking your core thru multiple planes and having feet firmly planted on the floor (not via a fit ball) will provide one with better proprioceptive feedback than over the fit ball so I did try this out.

Now I have done quite a lot training on the fit ball but I dont feel it does much for me unless I start doing such as the plank or a bridge type of exercise which incorporate more isometrics for the transverse I feel so I started to work more with our cable cross overs, rotating my body along the transverse plane and working on acceleration/deacceleration during the entire move and for me, this was much better for core stability than the swiss ball.

Ive never tried to do squats one sided b4 it seems interesting and I can see how it would benefit u. Do you have any research or anything to support this?

I'm not quite sure what research you are asking me to provide you with? If it is for the exercise itself you will be hard pressed to find anything.

Other then using creativity to challenge ones self in the gym I see no reason why scientific validation of certain movements need to be used unless they are being passed off as being "superior" to all other movements.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 03-18-2003 at 07:20 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Np. Only reason for asking is coz I too enjoy expirementing with new idea's in our gym but management (as they are) sometimes require some kind of research to back up what ever I do. Lame I know, they dont share the same sense of adventure as we do
    Last edited by Defkon1; 03-19-2003 at 01:07 AM.

That's a shame that using your god given brain needs to be justified by way of scientific literature in this case.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo