Thread: Cannot Fit Any More Plates on My Dumbbells

Threaded View

Cannot Fit Any More Plates on My Dumbbells

I have been using standard dumbbell bars with spring collars for my home gym. I have reached a point where I would like to add more weights, but no more can safely fit on the bars. This is the only bar of this type that is sold at my neighborhood weights store, The Fitness Warehouse. I see several possible options:

Option 1 -- Get a Longer Bar
    I could get a two longer bars that would hold more plates and get another four 10lb plates (2 for each bar). This might make the dumbbells more awkward to use during certain exercises because of their increased width. Since this type of long dumbbell bar is not available locally, I would need to order it online. What stores offer this type of bar at a good price? Note that I do NOT want a spinlock bar or any kind of threaded bar in which caps are screwed on.

Option 2 -- Use 25lb Plates
    I have been piling 10lb plates onto the bar. If I put on a set of 25lb plates instead, then I would have enough space to get heavier total weights. I would need to purchase another two 25lb plates, since I only have two. Having 25lb plates sounds like it could make the dumbells awkward to use because of their increased height.

Option 3 -- Use Specialty Plates Between 10lb and 25lb
    I imagine that someone must have created standard plates that are between 10lb and 25lb. With these size plates I would be able to fit more total weight on the bar, without having the awkward height of 25lb weights. I do not know any stores where such a product is sold. This type of specialty plate could be expensive, and a set of 4x15lb would only get me 10lb extra per dumbbell.

Option 4 -- Do Not Lift Heavy Dumbells at Home
    I only need the increased weight for two exercises: flat dumbbell press and one-armed dumbbell row. I could use barbell substitutions at home and only do these particular exercises with dumbbells at the gym.

What do you recommend? Where would be a good place to purchase the products mentioned above?
    Last edited by aka23; 03-18-2003 at 10:04 AM.