The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

squat to leg press weight ratio??

I was wondering if there some relationship between the max weight one can squat compared to the max weight one can leg press.

Right now my max squat is 265lbs and my leg press is 410lbs (4 reps, so the max would be a bit higher).

I couldn't get 450 so lets say my max on the leg press is 430.

then my squat to leg press ratio is about

leg press: Squat = 1.62:1

it just seems like for the amount i can leg press, I should be squatting more than 265, thats all.

what do other people come up with?

btw, the leg press machine isn't the incline type and each leg is
    independent

tks

Devo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It depends ont he machine, it depends on how you squat.

Don't worry about it. Wory about making both of them increase.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    :withstupi

also, keep in mind that the leg press isolates the quads more; squats involve the back and trunk more to stabilize/hold and bring in more muscles

my legs are strong but my back is comparatively weak; thus I haven't squatted more than 365 or so, yet I've leg pressed 860lbs on a 45-degree sled...

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    here's a simple formula to determine your legpress to squat ratio,

g=gravitational constant
    l=body mass
    r=body weight
    q=windresistance
    c=speed of light
    z=legpress weight
    zprime

z*r/c*zprime^(q*r)*e^4+z-g/l+q*c/r=mass of what your squat.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by nejar462
    here's a simple formula to determine your legpress to squat ratio,

g=gravitational constant
    l=body mass
    r=body weight
    q=windresistance
    c=speed of light
    z=legpress weight
    zprime

z*r/c*zprime^(q*r)*e^4+z-g/l+q*c/r=mass of what your squat.
    of course... although you forgot to include the viscosity of oil
    in your formula.

When squating you are moving your body weight too.
    But I wouldn't look for a magic number, just do as much as you can.

it's all about getting bigger and stronger. don't worry about the ratios........
    When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

Jack Burton - Owner of the Pork Chop Express

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Berserker
    When squating you are moving your body weight too.
    But I wouldn't look for a magic number, just do as much as you can.
    right... I overlooked the bodyweight component..
    In that case, I would be actually squatting like 470

As for the ratio bit, I guess that's my nature ... I have a degree in Mathematics...

Devo

I have not leg pressed in over 2 years, but was able to do 1300 lbs for reps, and have banged out 1000 lbs for 12 reps before, and I am much stronger now, but have hit my best box squat of 675 a couple weeks ago.

I have not maxed on the leg press, cause I have not found that the leg press is very beneficial for increasing my squat, for one thing, and there aren't many machines around that hold enough weight to attempt a max. Also machines vary one to another to the point that it is almost meaningless to max on a machine.

A steeper angle and stiffer wheels on the rails would have made that 1300 impossible for me, while a shallower angle might have made it relatively easy.

Got to ditto the group here. Don't sweat the ratio. Also, don't get hung up on the leg press. Squat needs to be the basis of your training. Squat is the King of the lifts.

B.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Originally posted by devo

of course... although you forgot to include the viscosity of oil
    in your formula.

OMG, what a mistake to make, I feel like an idiot

BTW, for a more exact answer please alter the formula to include the einsteinian universe
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."