The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Lower Back Pain :(

I've been working out my abs thrice-a-week for the last 5 months but stopped working out them from the last 8 days as I'm in the process of changing to a new gym. Still trying to find out which one is the best gym for me.... Of late ever since I stopped working out my abs I'm expiriencing a sharp back pain....not able to sit for long periods (>30 mins). I've never had a back problem ever in my life. And now I'm having actually trouble sitting for 30 minutes on my computer chair without expiriencing any pain. It's not very painful...but it is slightly hurting...and I'm not able to sit for long periods without doing some back flexing. Can anyone help me find out the cause for this ? My only guess is that its happening because I'm not working on my abs....but is that the reason? I was working out my abs for like 15-20 minutes actively then....

Can someone help me get a normal back again?

Kinda worried coz. a gym supervisor I spoke to yesterday said that I was a fool to workout with weights without using a belt. He insisted that for any weight lifting a belt was necessary. The guy's pretty big and has good stats and pretty much has all the bigshot clients from my city. He was continously saying that once you get lower back pain or screw up your back your finished....very rarely can you get it back to what it was is what he exactly said. I still think the belt thing is not necessary but this guy kinda scared me. I have been browsing WBB forums for quite sometime but I've not heard anyone say that it is a MUST. What do you guys think? Is this guy one of misinformed idiots who is teaching the wrong principles or is he talking correct?

Thanks and looking forward to your replies

Raj

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Lower Back Pain :(

Originally posted by Raj
    Is this guy one of misinformed idiots who is teaching the wrong principles...
    Sounds like it.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

I don't think your back pain is caused from not doing abs. You could have strained it from something else, squats? deads? and now its acting up. Go see a chiropracter(spl) to make sure you haven't done any serious damage.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Re: Lower Back Pain :(

Originally posted by Raj
    Is this guy one of misinformed idiots who is teaching the wrong principles...
    You hit the target there. I do not use a belt myself and have never had any problems whatsoever. On another note, how is your posture when you sit down? That may have something to do with it.
    Can't stop this train from rolling
    You can't take it down
    No, never stop this locomotion, on and on and on
    No, you can't bring me down 'cause I'm

Better than you

I'm thinking you could have shot a few spinal erectors. If so, They will heal with rest and good nutrition. Warm up correctly and extensively before doing back work to prevent this (im talking about proper stretches, not just doing light reps with the weight your using, although it wouldnt do you harm to do it too).

Maintaining good posture when sitting should be observed too. Strengthening your lower back with hyperextensions will make it easier to maintain good posture.

About the belt: all the bodybuilders I know only use a belt for very heavy weights, for lighter weights you can keep your back straight yourself. Breaking form on excersises like curls can **** your lower back, be the cool dude in the gym with the best form.
    Last edited by Exnor; 03-20-2003 at 02:43 PM.

I have a question for you guys. I have a belt and it doesn't seem to help me when i lift heavy weights. My back starts hurting no matter what. It sometimes gets to the point where I can barely walk. I went and saw an orthopedic and he told me that from the 5 vertabraes that i use to bend down, only 4 of them is working. I don't know why, I didn't ask him what could cause it or anything. The last couple weeks on leg days, I ended up having to leave after my first 3 sets of squats the first time and after my first 3 sets on sldl. What do you think I should do? I have decided to take out both deads from my routine cause it causes too much pain. Any advice? Appreciate it.
    ANYTHING can happen on a TUESDAY!!!

I've been weight training only from the last 6 months and I'm pretty sure that my form is not 100% correct. Having said that, I haven't had any problems until the last week.....Yeah I do the full barbell squat and SLDLs with dumbbells. The reason I dont want to goto a doctor is coz. I know for sure that most of them are misinformed about weight training. That is atleast in India....the first thing they will say is stop weight training and all that crap....I'm pretty sure about that.90% of them will say that rather than saying use correct form or do warmups etc. My form has been similar to the videos at exrx.net. I use them as a form guidance tool. This may sound weird but I wonder if this is a reason. I've been working out with home without my shoes from the last week as I'm looking out for a new gym membership. Can not wearing shoes be the cause of the problem? My training and nutrition has been the same from the last 6 months. No change whatsover. Except for the two points I mentioned. Abs which I stopped from one weak and training without shoes from one week.

Is there anything else you guys can suggest?

Thanks

Raj

Lack of shoes should not be a problem. If you watch any old Vids of Arnold (the Oak), or see any old pics of him working out you will probably notice that quite often he would be wearing no shoes. The main reason, IMO, why people wear shoes while working out is for sanity/protection purposes.
    Can't stop this train from rolling
    You can't take it down
    No, never stop this locomotion, on and on and on
    No, you can't bring me down 'cause I'm

Better than you

the back is too delicate to ignore or pass off as "time will heal it".

if your back hurts for more than a couple days, or persistent pain with sitting, go get xrayed and see if you need an MRI or not to find the cause of the problem.

i use a belt only on deads and squats, helps alot of squats, not much on deads
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Originally posted by MrWebb78
    the back is too delicate to ignore or pass off as "time will heal it".

if your back hurts for more than a couple days, or persistent pain with sitting, go get xrayed and see if you need an MRI or not to find the cause of the problem.
    I agree 100%. I hurt my back and didn't get it checked out for a long time. It got much worse and caused me to miss almost two months training. Luckily it's fine now but I wasted alot of time hobbling around by not getting it checked. My doc also told me doing weights was dangerous. That bit of info went in one ear and out the other.