Thread: Do you have more fun doing compound or isolation exercises?

Do you have more fun doing compound or isolation exercises?

I've noticed at my gym there are two types of lifters, those that to prefer isolation exercises and those who prefer big compound moves. The isolation guys do some compound work but they are totaly into the machines and cable stuff , in fact they can be pretty inventive with the cables and spend very little time around the squat rack. The compound guys hog the squat rack, rarely if ever use a machine and only use cables for the most basic exercises. They do lots of isolation work but only at the end of thier workout where as the isolation guys build entire days around just bis or just forearms.

I'm a compound guy. If I didn't feel like I had to I would never do another preacher curl or calf raise, those things just bore me. I wish I could build a perfect phisique doing only squats and deadlifts.

So what are you? Liking one more then the other doesn't mean you don't do the one you don't like. It 's just a natural preference. Do you enjoy isolation moves more then copound or the other way around.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

Deadlifts, squats, power cleans, jerk presses, chins, dips!

Oh hell yeah, i'm a compound guy.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I do a mixture. No machines. I don't know a compound way to do calves.
    I've recently started doing preachers and love them. I find it easier to force out those last couple reps and really it harder then I do with curls.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    I have much more fun doing compounds as progressing is easier and I use much more weight.

As for a compound for calves there are power cleans but they're not used that much.

As far as fun goes I think compunds are better for the ego boost you get moving large weights.

Compounds of course. They are more technical, involve muscle strength, as well as coordination, flexibility, and so many other factors, that when you are working on improvement there are so many ways to attempt to fix things.

Isolations I guess are ok for a supplement, but I sure as hell couldn't get excited over a preacher curl, or db kickback, they just don't translate as well to having any significant meaning, versus using multiple muscles and joints, along with coordination and technique to get the weight moving.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

When it comes to biceps, other then rows, its gonna be an isolation movement. For me it seems I don't get a good bicep wo from rows.

On second thought I can see how curls, can be compound, they do work your lower back

Wannabebig Member
    compounds

ElPietro, you hit it on the head for me. It's the multiple challanges involved in compound moves that keep them interesting for me. And Berserker you're right about moving more weight as well, that's just more fun to me plus it feels like the sky is the limit when it come to lifting more weight especially when you're at the stage I am now. I will probably be able to squat 300 lbs by next yeat at this time (which really isn't that much) and that's a 50% gain for me. I just can't make that kind of dramatic progress on isolation moves.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting