Thread: Pre contest dieting

Pre contest dieting

all these guys in my gym have a contest coming up and are going through the posing practises, losing water, last diet tweeks and things.

they look excellent. one in particular is really huge and shredded.

anyway, they all listen to the guru of the gym, a middle aged woman with a lot of experience in competing and bb. I think the strongest reason they follow her around is that she is their source tho. but anyway

i overheard a conversation where she told the big guy to get the last bits of fat out of his diet now by switching from chicken to tuna. a No Fat pre contest diet?

isn`t that really weird?

anyway i asked about that and how she could explain that would make him lose a little more fat and she had no idea how to explain it but she swore it was effective and shed done this forever. she actually likes lower fat over high fat diets anytime.
    i threw in some scientific facts/theories that conflict this and the bunch of people there basically came to the conclusion that science is BS and that she had proved science wrong a million times.

so i explained that science is factual and if you prove it wrong you either didn`t read and research the research properly, or you made a big discovery and should be off to a uni to tell everybody about it.

then everybody thought i was arrogant and just trying to prove my point by using big words, and i have nothing to say about this because im not big and shredded like them.

I told my father all this and he sayd son you shouldn`t do that you should not debate with really stupid people. you think youll win or learn something but you always win and they dont see you do. i used to do that a lot as well.

this trainer says alot more things that conflict science. from her scientific background she doesn`t seem to have finished even lowest level HS....

she sayd one time that people who are really overweight shouldn`t lift weights and only do cardio... she tells people to do most exercises partial rom...

but them guys she gives routines and diets and drugs are huge and shredded alright.... im not sure what to think.
    Last edited by Reinier; 03-22-2003 at 01:14 AM.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Maybe that no fat before contest thing is just a good luck ritual for her.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Grasshoppa
    I agree with your dad. Don't debate with stupid people =). Not saying that she or they were, but just don't do it.

In any event, if she had proven science wrong millions of times, then she should be really famous for her little theories or whatever.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

low-fat diets are, unfortunately, the rule for most in pre-contest diets. it started long ago and everyone i know who competes still does it. obviously, it IS effective to get u shredded. but it is also temporary and extremely unhealthy.

and debating with stupid people is just asking to be frustrated.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

The page at http://www.exrx.net/Bodybuilding/PreContestDiet.html on exrx.net describes several studies of precotest diet from 1989-1992. In these studies the typical macrontrient composition was about 50% Carb / 35% Protein / 15% Fat. They ate what I consider to be a very low amount of total calories for their size/activity and did cardio. It is my understanding that today's bodybuilders often follow a different precontest diet that is lower carb and higher fat. For example the page at http://www.nutribomb.com/tom_venuto/...protein_3.html describes a diet that starts out at 55% Carb / 30% Protein / 15% Fat in the offseason, then reaches 25% Carb / 50-55% Protein / 20-25% Fat (with periodic carb ups) just before the contest. I have heard about several other varieties, but the main two themes seem to be low fat/low caloire or low carb/low calorie. I think many of the dietary/supplemement practices immediately before the contest are poor for your health, but I doubt that most bodybuilders are concerned about this.
    Last edited by aka23; 03-22-2003 at 01:55 PM.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    The second plan sounds better.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    I love cut-and-paste jockeys
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

If they're on gear, then there's less problem from eating low/no fat.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Reinier...that last week the no fat thing kinda comes into play with bodybuilders i know...some do a 3 day protein only *fat coming from what's in the protein source* then carb up the 4th day which is usually the day before the show...but going no fat all the way through is not a good plan as others have said for reasons of putting it all back on right away.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.