Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chewing gum helps you bulk up?

Wannabebig Member

Chewing gum helps you bulk up?

OK, this might seem weird so I want to see if anyone else has a similar experience...

Whenever I chew gum I get really, really hungry. By the time I finally get to eat I'm just ravenous and end up devouring more food than I normally would. I'm trying to bulk up so I'm wondering if I should be chewing a lot of gum. This sounds stupid but if it works, why knock it right? Does this happen to anyone else? Is there another explanation (like the calories burned chewing gum are responsible for the hunger)?

Thanks!

I don't know how chewing gum would make you more hungry. It will make you salivate more, and if that has some sort of effect on hunger I don't know. I know that chewing gum can make your mouth really dry, and that sucks.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not sure about the "how" or "why" either. I guess if it works, go with it huh? The only reason not to be is if for reason the extra calories burned up chewing gum counteracted the increased appetite but I really doubt that is the case.

It's interesting that there are a lot of "appetite suppressants" on the market but really no "appetite accelerators". Of course one of the best accelerators is a raging hard workout but I'm wondering if there are other things that will help an individuals to eat more.

If the gum has suger in it that may cause your senses to crave more. I actual use gum for cutting, gets my mind off of food.

I have read in a few different places that Vitamin B12 can increase appetite but couldn't really find any solid information. Anyone else heard of this before?

Also I doubt the calories burned from chewing a piece of gum would be significant to cause "ravenous" hungar.

Mens Health Mag said chewing gum can increase your metabolism by up to 20%

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Well, if you're bulking, it's a good idea to be hungry. So if gum makes you hungry, go for it.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

20%?? LOL!

Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
    Mens Health Mag said chewing gum can increase your metabolism by up to 20%
    The study they are referring to found an increase from 58 calories/hour to 70 calories/hour. This is a 20% increase, but only a 11+ calories per hour difference (11, not 12 due to rounding). 11-12 calories per hour does not effect your overall weight goals much. Using this study's numbers it would take about a month of chewing 10 hours per day to burn off a pound.
    Last edited by aka23; 03-22-2003 at 08:17 PM.

Originally posted by aka23

The study they are referring to found an increase of 58 calories/hour to 70 calories/hour. This is a 20% increase, but only a 12 calories per hour difference. 12 calories per hour does not effect your overall weight goals much. Using this study's numbers it would take about a month of chewing 10 hours per day to burn off a pound.
    Well, I figure that might help a bit over time, just like an ECA helps a bit and so on.

Could you help me out with the info on Xenadrine EFX or Ripped Fuel (w/ Ephedra) like the info you gave on gum? I know they help, but laying it out like that would help.

Ripped Fuel with Ephedra works nicely. Take 1 pill (half-dose) every 2 hours until about 6 hours before bedtime (usually 6 pills for me). I found it helps keep water down. My only issue is a bit of lethargy in the evenings, but it's managable.

It works, it's cheap, and there is lots of science to back it up.

Originally posted by galileo
    Ripped Fuel with Ephedra works nicely. Take 1 pill (half-dose) every 2 hours until about 6 hours before bedtime (usually 6 pills for me). I found it helps keep water down. My only issue is a bit of lethargy in the evenings, but it's managable.

It works, it's cheap, and there is lots of science to back it up.
    I tried it and it worked for me, but I'm unsure whether I would wanna go with RF or Xenadrine EFX. I tried both and couldn't tell which one worked better, but I heard more bad effects with Ephedra (that prostate swelling freaks me out).

Wannabebig Member
    If the gum has Asparatame in it, Asparatame makes you crave carbs.
    Height:6'1
    Weight:180lbs
    bf%:Last year it was 17%, probably 17-20% now.

I'm just a guy who once worked out like the rest of you probably do and am looking for some inspiration and help to get started again and stay on track.

Goal:250lbs at 12% Bodyfat.

^The above is something I hope to accomplish before the age of 28.

No, I am not gay, I just want to avoid typing this 10 times in the future.

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    I love cut-and-paste jockeys
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    On a sidenote, I once heard that mint gum in particular can help trigger your appetite, something to do with the way the mint reacts with your stomach acids
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    The act of chewing triggers the digestive process and this is why it can facilitate digestion. Essentially your body figures there's food coming and gets ready for it, this is also why chewing gum on an emptty stomach may lead to stomach ulcers.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by restless
    Essentially your body figures there's food coming and gets ready for it, this is also why chewing gum on an emptty stomach may lead to stomach ulcers.
    Wow, you learn something new everyday
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by restless
    The act of chewing triggers the digestive process and this is why it can facilitate digestion. Essentially your body figures there's food coming and gets ready for it, this is also why chewing gum on an emptty stomach may lead to stomach ulcers.
    I've never heard that before. I'm not disputing this but can you point me to any proof of this?

I remember reading in Consumer Reports a number of years ago that mint can irritate your stomach. Funny how just about all antacids are mint flavor, huh.

DJ
    = 8-->{I>

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by DannyOcean

I've never heard that before. I'm not disputing this but can you point me to any proof of this?
    Actually no, and unfortunatelly I don't have the time right now to dig up anything. Sorry.

Originally posted by Jip
    If the gum has Asparatame in it, Asparatame makes you crave carbs.
    I chew sugar free gum everyday for 8 hours..... and it doesn't make me crave carbs, nor does it make me hungry.

And about the mint thing increasing appetitie, I've never heard that. Although, it has been proven the scent of peppermint can increase endurance during physical activity. I do think there is truth to that.

actually the act of chewing the gum makes your stomach begin to churn anticipating food because normally when you chew something food follows... chewing gum is actually bad for u in that respect...

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Dkm911
    actually the act of chewing the gum makes your stomach begin to churn anticipating food because normally when you chew something food follows... chewing gum is actually bad for u in that respect...
    This is exactly what a buddy of mine told me and it seems to make the most sense to me. What you say that chewing gum is "bad in that respect" what do you mean? I can see that it would be for someone trying to lose weight but for me trying to gain weight, it seems that chewing gum would be a good thing as it would increase my appetite during times when I otherwise might not be very hungry. Thoughts?

Originally posted by DannyOcean
    This is exactly what a buddy of mine told me and it seems to make the most sense to me. What you say that chewing gum is "bad in that respect" what do you mean? I can see that it would be for someone trying to lose weight but for me trying to gain weight, it seems that chewing gum would be a good thing as it would increase my appetite during times when I otherwise might not be very hungry. Thoughts?
    I've read the same thing in two place actually (for those that were asking for references). A short article in Men's Health (I'll see if I can find which for anyone that's really interested) and also a little bit longer one in a magazine I was reading at a clinic a while back.. while I might not be right, I'm thinking it was McClanse (sorry about that spelling).

And while I'm not sure about what he meant on "bad in that respect" I'll tell you what the article basically said. It's thought was that chewing gum could help you lose weight. Like someone mentioned, a very small amount. It said something like five pounds in a year of constant chewing. On the other hand, it mentioned that you'd more then likely get stomach problems from doing so. Now, like someone mention, the reason you get hungry is because of the chewing process, which makes the body believe that food should be sitting in the stomach.

Now, the body believing this, will try to digest that food sitting in there, thus the acids and all the fun stuff that lead to stomach problems. Now, these acids are there to digest food when you eat it, and while the body constantly replenishes them, they are not an unlimited resource at all times. That means, when you finally do get around to eating, your body might not have everything it takes to properly digest it all. So, a lot of nutrients from that food you just ate is not really broken down.

Hopefully I got this all right. It's been a while since I read the second article (the one that actually went in depths about the problems).
    LaLa

Wannabebig Member
    Makes sense but let me throw a scenario out there. I wake up in the morning at 8 AM. I'm not hungry at all (common for me in the mornings). I start chewing a piece of gum. Within 15 minutes I'm ravenous and can eat a large meal.

This is what happens to me. I just want to be sure that it's not harmful but I really can't see how chewing gum for 15 minutes a couple of times a day would be. For me at least it tends to set off some type of appetite trigger which leads to increased caloric consumption. In my situation, this is a good thing.