The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Soca King

Is oatmeal Brain Food?

I was just wondering this.

Because compared to when I have cereal/waffles,eggs and milk,when I have Oatmeal(w/some boiling water to soften it up & yogurt for taste) eggs & milk I feel mentally more alert
    Last edited by Big Show; 03-26-2003 at 10:52 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Better keep eating.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Maybe you're more filled up
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Re: Is oatmeal Brain Food?

Originally posted by Big Show
    I was just wondering this.

Because compared to when I have cereal/waffles,eggs and milk,when I have Oatmeal(w/some boiling water to soften it up & yogurt for taste) eggs & milk I feel mentally more alert
    Oatmeal provides a more sustained supply of energy because it is digested slowly by the body. The cereal/waffles could cause more of an insulin repsonse in your body which could lead to a lethargic feeling after your blood sugar level falls.

i forgot why it is - but bananas are brain food and are really good to eat when studying.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

the fat in the eggs could help be more attentive and alert as well, so might not just be the oatmeal
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Re: Is oatmeal Brain Food?

Originally posted by Big Show
    The only difference in the two breakfasts seems to be subsituting oatmeal for cereal/waffles. I will assume that this means cereals on some days and waffles on others, not cereal and waffles in the same meal.

Cold cereals almost always have added sugar. In some cereals more than 50% of the calories come from sugar. The lethargy following a cereal sugar rush might explain the increased mental alertness with oatmeal. Oatmeal is lower GI than most cereals and is likely to cause a milder blood sugar reaction than cereal. What type of cereal do you eat?

Waffles are more difficult to explain. Most brands do not have much added sugar, but they do usually have a significantly higher GI than oatmeal and are less likely to produce a blood sugar reaction than oatmeal. In addition, you might be adding syrup or sweeteners to the waffles. If you are consuming large waffles, then you might be getting a lot of calories. Two 8" diameter waffles usually have about 650 calories, while the oatmeal probably has less. The extra calories might also result in a lethargic reaction following the meal with less mental alertness.

The are also several other possibilities as well, such as a mild wheat allergy. Wheat is one of the seven most common food alergies. Far fewer people are alergic to oats than wheat. It would help to know the quantities and exact type of foods in each meal. For example, What brand and type were the waffles? Did you added syrup or sugar? Do you eat the same amount of eggs and milk with each meal? etc.

If substituting oatmeal makes you feel more mentally alert, then it is probably a good idea to continue doing this. You might also want to experiment with other lower GI foods, or a smaller breakfast and a snack later in the morning, when you feel less mentally alert.
    Last edited by aka23; 03-27-2003 at 03:18 PM.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Also, the fiber in the oatmeal will take longer to digest. This keeps you full.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....