The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Drill Sergeant Barbie FitBethie4's Avatar
    Westerville, Ohio (Suburb of Columbus - Home of the ARNOLD CLASSIC ;))

Need Cutting Advice.....

I'm new to the forums, so here we go.

I wanted to know what the best diet for me would be to cut my bodyfat significantly in a very limited amount of time. I am going to be doing some modeling coming up, and my diet is pretty clean, but it's only been to maintain. Now, it's time to really hit it hardcore. Can anyone give me an example diet? I have no problem cutting my carbs nor doing a lot of cardio - so amount of cardio will help as well. Here are my stats as of now..

Height: about 5'10"
    Weight: 138 lbs.
    Bodyfat%: 17% (that was thru biolectrical impedence, not calipers or hydrostatic, so that could fluctuate I'm sure)

Well hopefully that is enough info - any advice is greatly appreciated Thanks!

- Beth
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength." -- Arnold Schwarzenegger

"GET TO DA CHOPPA.... NOW!!!"

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

By the way - I want to get my bodyfat down to 13-14%.... I've cut it pretty low before when I was thinking about competing, but I hated my diet and the routine I tried, so I wanted to try something new....
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength." -- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Well, in terms of cardio, I do 30 minutes to 1 hour every day (1 hour only if I am feeling really amazing, which is maybe 1 time a week). There are a lot of good diets floating around here, go to the journals sections and see what some people cutting eat, then change it so it provides the proper # of calories for you to lose without much muscle loss.

5'10" - 138 lbs !?!?! and u want to cut? wow.

even when i was tiny, skinny - i was 125-130 at 5'6".

regardless of your stats, ketogenic dieting might be the 'new' you are looking for. like EC said, do a search as there are a plethora of diets and everything related to diets.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

I seem to go up and down between 135-145 lbs depending on water intake... if I take a diuretic, it'll go down. I really want to see my abs now, it's like, I have a 2 pack plus big obliques, but I am tired of the subcutaneous fat on the lower abdominal region as are many other people. I seem to gain mostly in my legs.... and I get cut the fastest in my shoulders, arms, and abs... but legs are just killer for me. I am not a stick by any means, and I have a lot of muscle, just waiting to get a good diet to see that definition. I'm a PT and make diets all the time, but it's hard to make your own diet as weird as that sounds.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    How many calories do you eat now? Whatever it is, cut it down, by let's say, 100 calories. If you don't lose a pound, cut it down by about 50 calories, etc.

Also, mix cardio and weightlifting. Well, that's all the advice I can give you.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

I eat probably about 1500 calories....

I think you're on the wrong track FitBethie. Eat MORE and start weight training. When you put on a lot of muscle, you'll see muscle when you cut down. Also, 1500 calories is probably putting your body into some kind of "starvation mode" where you burn less calories.

Also, don't ever take a diuretic. It's stupid.

Originally posted by FitBethie4
    I eat probably about 1500 calories....
    138*12= 1658 cals is a cut. You are a bit under. Sometimes going under can cause more trouble then benefits. Unless you do reffed days than your metabolisim will slow down and go into starvation mode( Stop burning muscle, and starts storring it) Most like it will result in using some of you muscles as energy.

Proper training + Proper nutrition = Results

ANd the fact that you said probably scares me even more becasue you may be overestimating resulting in even fewer cals. Post your diet.

I'm a PT and make diets all the time, but it's hard to make your own diet as weird as that sounds.
    Sometimes it's easier giving advicing then applying it yourself, I know what you mean. Don't worry we are here to help
    Last edited by AJ_11; 03-24-2003 at 09:59 PM.

Originally posted by Ironman8
    How many calories do you eat now? Whatever it is, cut it down, by let's say, 100 calories. If you don't lose a pound, cut it down by about 50 calories, etc.

Also, mix cardio and weightlifting. Well, that's all the advice I can give you.
    tuttut

Sorry man this is bad advice. Someone who is way under maintence in cals should drop more cals, Please ask for more information without jumping the gun, I am afraid that someone might take your advice and do more harm then good.
    Last edited by AJ_11; 03-24-2003 at 10:01 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    5'10" 140 and your not cut already, interesting.

u need to speed up your metabolism,
    so start eating more and more frequently.

do your cardio and eat clean.
    about 30-45min 4-5days a week and
    get a good sweat, intensity is key.

i'm that height and around 175 and i'm
    starting to cut up and i find i eat more
    and more each day.

dont overdue the eating though if you really want
    to cut. you need some sort of calorie deficiency if you
    are to lose bodyfat. calories burned must be greater than
    calorie intake.

i believe it is mostly about diet, but cardio cant hurt.
    if you are really serious , use a nutrition log and monitor
    your calorie intake.

good luck.

http://www.bodybuildingworld.com/mon.../july2001.html
    This is a link to a very effective diet for women looking to maintain lean mass while cutting body fat. DO NOT skip the high carb meals on Monday and Thursday! They are vital to the plan. I've used the male version of this diet with great success. In fact I'll be starting it up again in another month to get ripped for summer.

What does your daily diet look like for an average day? What type of workout routine and activities do you do each day?

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by AJ_11

tuttut

Sorry man this is bad advice. Someone who is way under maintence in cals should drop more cals, Please ask for more information without jumping the gun, I am afraid that someone might take your advice and do more harm then good.
    I know. I thought she ate more than 1500 calories!
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Recently I started eating 1500 - this diet was for when I've been cutting - the diet actually came from another personal trainer, I've only been on it since last Wednesday, and I do have cuts - just not cut like i'd like to be - Before, I was eating about 2000 calories, split into 5-6 meals depending on when I got up, and just maintaining. Which was fine.... and the diets I give people aren't anything like mine. I'm hard on myself, as are many other people, so I like to switch up things constantly and shock my system as much as I can. Even eating 1500, I'm not hungry at all. Maybe it's just me - I get used to my diets quickly, can cut quickly, and go up and down with my calories and not feel too much of an effect... I don't get sluggish, nor binge on food and as you said "go into starvation mode". And the diurectic I take, it's a mild one, and I only take it every once in a while (once a week to be exact) because I drink A LOT of water, and when I want to weight in, it makes my weight so off it seems like. Don't worry - what you say to me may seem harsh - but it's all advice I am open to, and willing to hear and try. Thanks for the advice so far....

Beth

Wannabebig Member
    I really don't think that 1500 cal/day is too low for cutting at her BW. Certainly not enough to go into a "starvation mode". Many people start a cut at 12XBW and then cut calories form there based on results and metabolic adaptations. Every individual is different with regard to how their body reacts to caloric reduction. If your not feeling hungry, tired, or your fat loss has not come to a stop, then you're probably not in "starvation mode". Once you notice these symptoms, you probably need a refeed or a bump up in calories. Some have even stated that going as low as 8XBW is ok for some individuals.
    Intensity!!! Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!

I bet you'd look more cut and leaner if you increased your calories and started training hard.

Not sure what your program is right now, but if you are 5'10" and at the weight you say you are, and still feel the need to cut, then you can't possibly have any muscle mass at all.

Add muscle, then cut. If I were you I'd eat and train hard until you hit AT LEAST 170. Then I bet you'd be stronger, better physique, and yup, I'd bet you'd have less bodyfat as well.

At 5'10" and 138lbs I don't know what you think is hiding under the fat, other than bone and sinew.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Oh, your name is Beth. You are a girl. Bleh, thought you were a guy. You realize 17% is relatively low for a female right? I still say hit the weights hard though. Cardio won't give you a firm body at all. You have to build the firmness.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 03-25-2003 at 09:54 AM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Ha - I must say, I was a bit shocked at the whole 170 lbs thing... I was goin... is this guy kidding... but once I saw you didn't know I was a girl... I feel better now. Anyhow - I am pretty muscular, but I know I also will cut muscle when I do reduce calories and do more cardio... ketosis diets sound pretty good, but I just am not used to eating that much fat, I could give that one a try - what do you guys think of that diet, and where's the best place to buy ketostrips?

Beth

The cheapest place to purchase Ketostix would be online or you can buy them at most local pharmacies. THe ketogenic diet might be what you are looking for if you have no problems with the dietary restrictions that come along with the diet. What type of ketogenic diet are you looking at trying, CKD or TKD?

CKD Preferably.... have any suggestions?

Wow, i thought you were a guy to, i was like what kind of model is this guy at 138 and a 17 percent body fat level

With a CKD you have to plan your training around your diet, but the TKD allows more flexibility with your training since you just time your carb intake around your training.

Hahaha, No not a guy - I think that a number of people thought that and that's why they're sorta weirded out - but no... I'm a girl

See I'd need plan training because of work - I work 2 jobs, and have to fit my training and dieting in, and it's hard, but being on a set schedule is the easiest for me.