Thread: Critique my program please

Wannabebig Member

Critique my program please

First post here, love the site!

Here is what my goals are for my weight training. I'm 29 yrs. old, 6' and weigh 218. I started a diet and weight training program 5 weeks ago. My intitial intent was to lose fat and gain lean muscle. After a few weeks, i've decided now that i still wanna lose fat but bulk up a bit as well. Nothing bobybuilding size, but a good, well defined muscle tone.
    The supplements i am taking are cla, glutomine, creatine, and a daily vitamin. My diet consists of 5 to 6 smaller meals throughout the day. However, i know i'm not getting enough protein (more on that later).
    My workout routine consists of upper body one day followed by cardio the next day followed by lower body the next day, etc. At first i was doing a moderate weight-high rep workout. But i recently changed to high weight-low rep routine. During the past 5 weeks i have seen slight changes in my body. The wife says she can really tell the difference but i honestly cant. My biggest change has been in my waist, i've probably dropped 2 pant sizes.
    So i've come here to get some suggestions or opinions on what i could change in my diet, supplements, or training to maximize my efforts and to start to add some noticable muscle mass.
    The one question i really needed answering was about my protein intake. I would say on a daily basis i get moderate to low protein intake. Sometimes i'll eat some tuna for lunch or some fish for dinner or a bit of peanut butter with some toast for breakfast, but other than that i know it's lacking. So what would be a good idea for my protein supplement, whey protein? If so, whats a popular brand to look for and what flavors? Unfortunately i'm alergic to chocolate so who has a good vanilla flavor? Also, i'm about finished with my initial stock of creatine and after i cycle through for a couple weeks, i'm gonna need to pick up another supply. I was using a generic off name brand this time, who makes a good reputable creatine to buy from next? I hear cell tech is good, any other ideas?
    Lastly, should i might take a fat burner such as Xenadrine? I do have a rather flabby belly i'm trying to lose as well.
    Thanks for any replies and the suggestions and tips!
    Last edited by Xmann; 03-24-2003 at 09:05 PM.

First off 2 paqnts sizes is good progress. This would be better in training forum.
    As far as protein powder I like chocalte so can't help on taste. But Optimum sells 5lb vanallia for about 30-35, with shipping from most sites. I use 1fast400. GNC $35.
    You need more protein. All of my meals center around protein.
    You should decide which you want to do bulk or cut. Sounds like you should cut first, since your not happy.
    Fat burners are a tool, never tried Xenadrine.
    For creatine I use vitamin shoppe brand about $11 bucks without shipping for 90 5g servings. I would get it from where ever you order the protein powder, to save on shipping. I really don't know if brand makes a big difference.
    Whats your routine?

FAT
    id forget all supplements cept creatine (cuz you wanna keep what muscles you have) and up your protein intake to mebbe 1.5-1.8grams per lb of bw. try to lose around a 1lb of fat a week. pick something thats easy to keep doing. if you starve yourself or do somethintg in so much extent that you dont like it, you will fail. keep it fun and within reason.
    LHA 4 LIFE

FAT
    and you can substitute those protein shakes/bars with a nice fat steak or chicken breast. might cost a wee bit more, but theres nothing like a big juicy sirloin steak with a-1 sauce smeared all over its tender fibers.....mmmm
    LHA 4 LIFE