The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Push/pull vs push or pull workouts (Newbie question)

I have been working out or the better part of 1 year with good results (given my personal goals - mass and some definition). I have been intermittently checking out the WBB routines and forums, and have picked up some good info.

Due to my schedule I have 3 days/week to workout. I started with push/pull strategy: M -chest/back, W - legs/abs, Sat - back/bi/tri; I do 20-25 min cardio each workout day. In general I do 3 exercises each for chest, back, and shoulders, and 2 each for bis or tris, 3 sets each exercise, and shoot for 6-10 reps/set.

To mix things up, I recently changed to a push or pull workout: M - chest/shoulders/tri, W - legs/abs, Sat - Back/bi.

I get the feeling that I have almost too much rest (is this possible?) between workouts for each bodypart, whereas with my previous workout each upper bodypart got hit once/wk hard, and once per week as bystander.

Which is preferred - more rest, or going back to push/pull type workout to hit bodyparts twice per week? I thought to avoid working 2 major bodyparts (back/chest) on a single day, a better push/pull workout than my initial schedule above might be: M - chest/bi, W - legs/abs, Sat - back/shoulders/tris.

I appreciate in advance your collective wisdom.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It depends. What you are shooting for is 'optimal' rest. It may vary by individual.

My typical suggestion is to pick a routine (push/pull/legs is a good one), and start out training each once a week.

If your recovery allows, start eliminating rest days.

I typically wouldn't suggest training more than 5 days a week, and that's for someone with very good recovery ability.

Of course, this also depends on how you train, the number of sets, etc, etc.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Agree with Paul

Personally, I'm in the more rest is good camp but as Paul said, it depends on what you're goals are and how hard you're training!

One thing I'd ask is were you still making good gains with your old routine? If so, why switch it up? While I understand that mixing up your routine is good for keeping the muscle guessing, I also think that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Depending on how you were doing with your old routine, I'd use that puppy until you weren't making gains then make the switch!

Good luck!