The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Questions about bulking

I have bulked for a while now with protein supplements and carbo fuel and I have gained some kilos. My abs is by the time hidden, and I think my bodyfat is kind of high.

What is the best way to make the abs visibel again? What shall I do?

Thanx....
    Thatīs all folks.....

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

To see abs, cut. 8% BF is generally when you seem 'em.

I don't know if it's that low.

You'll have to stop eating so much

Diet.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

EdgeCrusher- it depends on how large your abs are underneath...I'm around 14% bodyfat and can see my abs. Obviously I can't see them as well as I could when I was at 6% bf....

I agree with geoff. It just depends. I would say around 10% or so is when you start to see them.

Yes, I've always heard 10% bf as the general rule. Most of us don't expect to see our abs during a bulk, that's what cuts are for.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    You'll have to stop eating so much

Diet.
    But wouldnīt my muscles "shrink" if I cut the eating??
    Thatīs all folks.....

Not if you do it right, no - or not much.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    Not if you do it right, no - or not much.
    Can you please explain me the best way? (If there is any)
    Thatīs all folks.....

MACHINE
    To give an educated answer to your question, we'd need a detailed breakdown of your current diet - consumed calories, protein, carbs, fat, food eaten in each meal, and frequency of meals.

If you can't provide this stuff, I'll make some assumptions - since you're bulking, your calories and carb intake are pretty high. You may want to start by cutting 500 calories worth of carbs. Carbs are 4 calories per gram, so 500/4 = 125 grams. Remove 125g carbs from your diet. Try this for a week or two and make your next move based on those results. Report back to us, and we'll advise you from there.

Providing us with a detailed diet outline would be the best place to start though
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Originally posted by gino
    To give an educated answer to your question, we'd need a detailed breakdown of your current diet - consumed calories, protein, carbs, fat, food eaten in each meal, and frequency of meals.

If you can't provide this stuff, I'll make some assumptions - since you're bulking, your calories and carb intake are pretty high. You may want to start by cutting 500 calories worth of carbs. Carbs are 4 calories per gram, so 500/4 = 125 grams. Remove 125g carbs from your diet. Try this for a week or two and make your next move based on those results. Report back to us, and we'll advise you from there.

Providing us with a detailed diet outline would be the best place to start though
    OK. I didnīt know it was so complicated. Should I follow my regular training-program, or should I start runing or riding a bike for a while and wait with the weights?
    Thatīs all folks.....

MACHINE
    Keep everything the same now and just adjust the diet. The best way to be able to tell what is working for you is to simply MINIMIZE THE VARIABLES. If you suddenly change your training, start doing cardio, and change your diet, pinpointing what is giving you results will be tough. Changing the diet is the easiest because you can simply eat less/different food and train the same. If it works, you know specifically what you did that worked. If the first adjustment doesn't work, try another adjustment. Make the changes gradual though - extreme measures result in unfortunate results - cut your calories way down and start doing lots of cardio, and you'll lose fat, but you'll also lose a bunch of lean muscle you worked so hard to gain.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560