The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MonStar's Journal

I have decided to get back into the iron game, the bodybuilding side of the iron game. Westside was a GREAT program, really enjoyed it. But I miss the bodybuilding style workouts too much. An entire day dedicated to back, etc. Overall, I think that a bodybuilding program is far more fun than a powerlifting routine, but thats just my personal opinion of both. Then again, I have favored bodybuilding my entire life. Strength and size is what I am still focusing on 100%. I am just leaning towards a bodybuilding program at this point, rather than a powerlifting one. My split is going to be as follows, and it will not change:

S---Back, Biceps
    M---Rest
    T---Chest, Triceps
    W---Legs, Lower Back
    T---Rest
    F---Shoulders, Traps, Miscellaneous
    S---Rest

Like I said its going to be much more bodybuilding based, compared to Westside. Higher-rep sets, although Ill still be doing triples, doubles, and singles. Just not maximally week to week. Going to be great getting back into the bodybuilding style workouts.

WBB Members / MODs---I talked to Belial about this journal. I want ONLY positive things will be posted. No flaming, and nothing immature. Please dont make Belial delete any posts. Keep things positive, I have not started a new journal in months (seriously).
    Last edited by MonStar; 03-26-2003 at 07:30 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well, Mike, props to you for sticking with something long enough to see some results. You did westside for almost 4 months, that's a good stretch, and long enough to make an educated decision on it.

Now... key is to give this program as much structure as westside so that you don't get bored with it.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Simplistic
    Good luck with the new routine, Monstar.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Another journal?

What kind of workload do you have for your shoulders/traps to seperate them into their own workout?

Strongman
    Mike! LOL at another journal (and the fact that you kept the old one for so long).

Seriously...Why drop Westide?!? It was giving you such great results, and it was pretty similar to this new "bodybuilding" routine. Your Westside routine seemed to break down like this:

*Legs/Lower Back (DE Squat/Dead)
    *REST (Or misc. work)
    *Chest/Back w/some shoulders (ME Bench)
    *REST
    *Legs/Lower Back (ME Squat/Dead)
    *REST
    *Chest/Bis/Tris (DE Bench)

Seems kinda similar, just training a little more frequently, and the body parts weren't trained in the simple push/pull fashion (chest & tris, back & bis) you are proposing now. As for different reps, you say you are going to do singles and doubles along with higher reps...which is what you were just doing on westside!?

The strength was shooting through the roof (see: DB bench 120 x 8, BB curl 135 x7, and, ahem, the 3Nickel Deadlift). Those were great gains, especially for someone who as trained as long as you have (not even close to a plateau). Are you going to be doing a whole set of different exercises that you weren't doing when on Westsideor something?

And what's more fun: doing a whole day of back or having Brittany go crazy at how big you have gotten? If you do switch to the "Bodybuilding program," good luck as always.
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

Alex: I completely agree with what youre saying man, completely. I feel like I did Westside long enough to gain a lot of knowledge about powerlifting and powerlifting-type programs. I am not trying to say that Westside was a bad program at all, it was fun, I enjoyed it. Strength gains were pretty damn good if you ask me. I just personally prefer a bodybuilding routine, thats all. Yeah I am going to just do a standard bodybuilding split, I dont see why I would get bored with it. I should be on this a good 4 months as long as things go well.

Neil: Thanks man, appreciate the support.

Budiak: Hey, yes, another journal, lol. I have never been a big fan of OH presses so you wont be seeing my doing those. Basically on the delts/traps day its sort of a miscellaneous day as well. I am going to be doing laterals, some shrugs for traps, some calves, abs, etc. Not the most exciting day in the world, but well see what happens. My calves could always use the attention.

Magnus: Thanks for the excellent post man---really appreciate it. Youre right about a few things actually. My split is kind of similar to Westside I think, I dont know. Its still a bodybuilding split. Back day by itself, etc. I will be adopting some Westside principles, because obviously Westside does work. Great to see that you kept up with my other journal, lol, I had no idea. Always nice to know people are reading what you type, lol. Strength was shooting up youre exactly right. Thats something that I am not sure Ill see on a bodybuilding style program. Well see what happens. I am still going to do lockouts, and a lot of things that I did in Westside. And dont worry Magnus, Ill make sure that I dont get any smaller. A big reason I am switching back to a bodybuilding split it to grow my friggin' lats like crazy. Well see what happens with that. Again Magnus, really appreciate the post, and feel free to comment on my workouts in the future.
    Last edited by MonStar; 03-26-2003 at 11:21 PM.

Good luck with the new program Monstar. I hope you continue to progress as you have.

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Man. I leave for the other side of the woirld and when I get back all hell has broken loose! Ah well, it was a good run.

best of luck always Mike!

I can't believe you are quitting westside. You were just getting crazy strong. Oh well, its up to you. Hope you get huge man. I hope the strength keep progressing as well. Good luck

Mik: Thanks a lot man, appreciate it. I also really hope to continue progressing as I have. If for some reason my strength gains stall all of the sudden, Ill decide at that point what I want to do. All I know is that chances are I will not be returning to Westside. Not because the results were not excellent, but because its a program for a serious powerlifter---which I am not.

Saturday Fever: Yeah, Westside was a hell of a good run. I enjoyed it a ton. And I still thank you for convincing me to try it in the first place. Good luck with the meet man, hope you smoke 3-plate bench, 4-plate squat, and 5-plate deadlift.

CoCoa: Thanks for the support.

Hercule: Yeah, I put a TON of thought into this before I did it. I mean weeks of thinking about it. Lots of positives when it comes to Westside, but for me, there were a lot of negatives too. You seem to be favoring powerlifting Herc so I definitely think you should jump on the Westside bandwagon. Its not for everybody, but I think you would love it. Thanks for the post man.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Hey Monstar!

no more westside? Oh I know what the real reason is..........You found out how much it cost to special order a 15 foot olympic bar to handle all those extra plates you were gonna need for your ever increasing deadlift LOL

seriously, thats cool....look forward to seeing progress pics as you hypertrofasize those muscles and get some growth with your new found strength!!!!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Best of luck with your new routine. (It's not like you'll need it)

Congratulations on your 16th WBB Journal!
    5-9 170

Looking forward to read this journal. From what I read from your last journal only one word describe it all, dedication.
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

Kenn: Hey man, thanks for chiming in. LOL, its definitely not because my deadlift is too high. Wish that was the damn reason. Westside was a good program, just not for me, thats all. Was fun while it lasted, thats for sure. Yeah I really want to put on some size, so well see what happens now that I am back to a regular bodybuilding split. Hoping for some good results.

ryan: LOL, 16th journal huh? Wouldnt doubt it. Thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it a ton.

John: Hey man, thanks a lot for the support. Really appreciate it. Yeah I did stay pretty dedicated with Westside I think. Well, I really enjoyed it. So what do you expect. Thanks again for reading man.

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: peanut butter & banana sandwich, multi-vitamin/mineral, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Xenadrine EFX
      Meal 2: 1 Wendy's small frosty, 1 Wendy's cheeseburger
      Meal 3: organic soda, macaroni & cheese
      Meal 4: organic cookie, energy water
      Preworkout: 1 banana, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Xenadrine EFX
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1/2 serving Cell-Tech

Estimated Calories: ~3500
    • Training---Legs, Lower Back

Some guy at the gym today really made me feel good, lol. After I pulled 500 for a double he asked me, "how long have you been deadlifting?" And I said, "around 3-4 months now." And of course he says, "bullsh*t." And I started laughing and explained to him that I never had a reason to deadlift, etc. Finally he was like, "Ill tell you---since you have been coming to this gym you have really added a lot of size." I was happy. I have been going to the YMCA for about a year now I think. Something like that. So that made me feel good.

Deadlifts:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 500 x 2!

Some damn good sets of deadlifts today if you ask me. Really impressed with my strength. Going to be alternating these week to week with squats, so well see how that goes. Started off with 135 for 8, and 225 for 6. SMOKED. Easy as hell. 3 plates for 4 was easy too. Just going through the motions. 4 plates felt a little harder, nothing bad though. Lower back seemed a little stiff. Hit up 500 for a single, waited ~4-5 seconds, resetted, and hit a double. I might have been able to get a triple, because the 2nd rep of 500 was not all that slow. Saw friggin' stars after each rep with 500, lol.

Leg Presses:

20 Plates x 4!, 18 Plates x 6, 16 Plates x 8

Some HARD sets of leg presses today, really beat up my friggin' quads completely. Started off with 10 plates on each side for 4 reps. OW! Quads were torn up. Dropped down to 18 plates for 6, and finished up with 8 plates on each side for 8. At this point my quads were just on fire.

Good Mornings:

225 x 6!, 185 x 8

Some damn good sets of good AMs here today. Really exhausted my lower back and hamstrings completey. 225 for 5 was my previous PB, so I am glad that I got an extra rep in there today. Dropped down to 185 for 8. OW! Both sets really beat me up.

Nautilus Leg Extensions:

Stack x 8 (2)

Not too much to say here actually. The entire stack was around 250 or a little more I believe, something like that. Hit up 8 reps for 2 sets with the entire stack. Really torched my quads here too. Its been a WHILE since I have gotten a really good quad workout, damn.

Rope Cable Pull Throughs:

Stack x 8 (2)

Good way to finish up my workout today. Used the entire stack for 2 sets of 8. Really finished off my glutes and lower back and all that completely. Still love this exercise even if I am not doing Westside.
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: 45 minutes
      Sleep: 8 hours
      Weight: 226 lbs. (gym)
      Pain/Soreness: Feel pretty good today I think, not really all that sore at all, so thats good. Really looking forward to an excellent workout today.
    • General Comments

Training went pretty well today I think, not too long or short. Trying to stay right around 35-55 minutes for these bodybuilding style workouts. Not having my rest periods extremely long or extremely short. So well see what happens with that. Sleep was right on last night, right where it should always be. Weight was HIGH! Damnit, need to watch my f*ckin' calories. Sick of this bullsh*t.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-01-2003 at 07:52 PM.

Grats on the deads Mon. Nice pulling. What's the reason for the salt during your workout?

Mik: The reason for the salt during my workouts I believe is to help push the creatine and glutamine into my muscles. I hate to say this, but I honestly FORGET the reason, lol! I read an article by diet guru named Par Deus, who used to post here at WBB---and he said that for optimal strength gains a carb drink should be sipped on the entire workout to help keep insulin levels up and muscle glycogen replenished.

Strongman
    Mike, this was brought up in your last journal...you sure you getting enough protein in your diet? You aren't posting portion sizes so it's tough to tell.

Also, your weight increase looks mostly like muscle - your BF% is similar to say...6 months ago, so don't worry about the number. Take some measurements - your arms are probably over 16.5" now.
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

You are crazy man. Westside or not, you are still an extremely srong mofo. 500 for 2 is crazy man. Leg presses and good mornings were just freakin nuts as well. Way to go bro.

Magnus: I know my protein intake is never GREAT. I try and get it as high as I can with the food that is available to me. For example the macaroni & cheese I eat at work has 50g of protein, the organic cookie is 10g, etc. I just try and slam down as much protein as I can, and it gets really tough. I feel like I pack in a TON of carbs, but not that much protein. Ill try and watch my protein intake as well, thanks for chiming in Magnus, appreciate it. Yeah I dont think I have gained a ton of fat lately, I just wish I was a bit leaner, thats all.

Hercule: Hey thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it. Yeah I was happy with my strength on deadlifts yesterday. 500 for a double isnt too shabby I dont think. Who knows, well see what happens. I am going to be doing squats next week, and deadlifting the following week. So next time I deadlift maybe Ill see how many reps I can get with 505, who knows. Maybe Ill even try 565 if I feel good.

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: peanut butter & banana sandwich, multi-vitamin/mineral, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Xenadrine EFX
      Meal 2: 1 can chili & beans + crackers
      Meal 3: 5 oreo cookies, skim milk
      Meal 4: 1 can chicken noodle soup, 1 pudding
      Meal 5: 3 Taco Bell supreme beef gorditas

Estimated Calories: ~2900
    • Training---Rest
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: N/A.
      Sleep: 7 hours
      Weight: N/A.
      Pain/Soreness: OW! My friggin' thighs and lower back are hurting today, damn. Really sore---jeez. Quads have not been this sore in a long time.
    • General Comments

Rest day today. Good, because I feel a little exhausted from the heavy leg session yesterday. Legs are sore today, damn! Glutes are killing me, etc. Sleep was pretty good last night I think, whatever. Weight, I am only going to weigh myself at the gym on training days. So well see what happens with that.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-01-2003 at 07:56 PM.

• Diet/Supplements

Diet definitely SUCKED today, simply because I ate like 2 meals before 8:30 at night. I got arrested today for harassment, jesus. Whatever. I am trying to just keep a laid back attitude about the whole thing. And not get all stressed out, etc.

Meal 2: organic cookie
      Preworkout: 1 banana, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Xenadrine EFX
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1/2 serving Cell-Tech
      Meal 6: pretzels, hot dog & cheese
      Meal 7: skim milk, 2 pecan cookies

Estimated Calories: ~3000?
    • Training---Shoulders, Traps, Miscellaneous

Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows:

45 x 8, 95 x 6, 135 x 4, 185 x 2!, 135 x 8

Some good sets of upright rows today, I really beat on my friggin' delts and traps completely. Used an extremely wide-grip, which really torched my delts completely. Started off easy with the bar for 8 reps, then 95 for 6. Nothing TOO hard here. Just trying to warm my delts and traps up. Hit up 135 for 4, which wasnt too bad I dont think. Delts really took the brunt of the weight I think here. Mainly because my grip was so damn wide. Upped the weight again to 185 for a double. Nothing TOO bad here I dont think. 185 was tough however, OW! Dropped down to 135 again for 8 reps. Good sets here today.

Dropset
      Dumbbell Lateral Raises:

40 x 8, 30 x 8, 20 x 8

Wow, beat up my delts with this triple dropset today, damn. Started off with the 40s for 8, and then the 30s for 8, and finally the 20s for 8. No rest in between all 3 sets. Really torched my friggin' delts completely.

Dumbbell Shrugs:

120 x 6, 110 x 7, 100 x 7

BAH! Grip was a limiting factor here today. Because of the damn thick a*s grips on the 105s-120s. Really pissed about this actually. Started off with the 120s for 6. Then the 110s for 7. Finally finished up with the 100s for 7. Grip was aching, and my traps were destroyed. Ow, I am gonna be sore from these.

Superset
      Behind-back Barbell Wrist Curls / Cambered-bar Reverse Wrist Curls:

135 x 10 (2) / 50 x 10 (2)

OUCH! Lactic acid buildup in my forearms was just insane. Really beat on my lower arms today. Want bowling pin forearms! Started off with BTB wrist curls for 10, then immediately did a set of reverse wrist curls for 10. OW! Did another superset and my forearms were killed. Lactic acid buildup was awesome.

Seated Calf Raises:

4 Plates + 70 lbs. x 10 (5), 4 Plates x 30

Some good sets of calf raises today. Did 5 sets of 10 with 250 lbs. Nice sets here today I think. Really pumped up and exhausted my calves completely. Dropped down to 4 plates for 30 reps. Calves were BURNT!

Dropset
      Nautilus Crunches:

Stack x 5, 200 x 5, 150 x 5

Nice dropset here today to finish up my workout. Set of 5 with the entire stack was just pure intensity. Crunched my abs hard there. Dropped down to 200 lbs. for 5, and finished up with 150 lbs. for 5. All 3 sets were intense.
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: 35 minutes
      Sleep: 7 hours
      Weight: 222 lbs. (gym)
      Pain/Soreness: Still friggin' from that damn leg workout, jeez. Quads are completely aching, and my glutes and hamstrings are also really stiff.
    • General Comments

A good overall workout today I think, I was happy. Worked out late, from 8:30-9:05 or whatever it was. Sleep was OKAY last night, not too good I dont think. Weight at the gym was actually pretty low. Whatever.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-04-2003 at 11:51 AM.

• Diet/Supplements

Decided to take all of my old un-opened supplements to GNC tonight and get a store credit. Damn did I get a store credit! Ended up with a few hundred bucks, bought a sh*tload of Cell-Tech and Isopure whey protein powder. Going to start taking a full 2 scoops of Cell-Tech postworkout. I KNOW that its overpriced, and I KNOW that its a lotta hype, but its solid creatine, dextrose, ALA, taurine, etc. etc. Anyway---hoping my recovery maybe a bit better with the extra carbs postworkout.

Meal 2: organic cookie
      Meal 3: isopure protein drink
      Meal 4: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
      Meal 5: cranberry & almond cereal + skim milk

Estimated Calories: ~3000
    • Training---Rest
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: N/A.
      Sleep: 6 hours
      Weight: N/A.
      Pain/Soreness: Feel okay today, not terribly sore. My friggin' traps are stiff as hell unfortunately.
    • General Comments

Damn, my traps are aching already! Not to mention my thighs and butt that are friggin' KILLING me. Damn. Havnt had a good leg workout in a long time. Sleep sucked last night, my damn mom woke me up after 6 hours. Who the hell knows why.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-01-2003 at 08:13 PM.

You found out who makes those 'organic cookies'? I want some. 600 calories in a cookie, dang. I would much rather eat one of those than drink N-large.