Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MonStar's Journal

Nice bench strength there Mike! Grats on the PRs.

Mik: Hey thanks a lot man, appreciate the kind words. I was extremely pleased with my bench strength today. I am most likely going to take it a bit easy next week. I dont know just yet, well see what happens. If I get a good amount of sleep and a surplus of calories everyday, maybe Ill be able to get away with training heavy consistently.

WHAT THE FOCK?!?! 315 for a DOUBLE?! Sh*t man. Thats freakin insane. Excellent, excellent work. That is just freakin crazy. Keep up the good work man.

Hercule: LOL, you seem to be more excited than I was Herc. Thanks for the support, really appreciate it man. I was extremely pleased with my bench strength today. Didnt expect to hit 315 for a double, trust me on that one. Tomorrow morning I am going to shoot for 455 on squats, deep, for a double/triple. Well see what happens I guess.

315 for two is awesome Mike. That's my goal for the year,...I'm still a freaking long way off though, LOL. Gotta love the junk food man.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

ectx: Hey thanks a lot man, appreciate the support a ton. Good luck hitting your goal for this year, youll make it no doubt. 3 plates on each side is a HELL of a great feeling too. I am looking forward to hitting 3 plates + a quarter plate on each side maybe by the beginning of summer of all goes well. Who knows. Right now I am still a good 40 lbs. off of that.

• Diet/Supplements

Preworkout: multi-vitamin/mineral, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech
      Meal 4: 1 Wendy's cheeseburger, 1 Wendy's small frosty
      Meal 5: 1 organic cookie
      Meal 6: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
      Meal 7: hot dog, skim milk
      Meal 8: 5" turkey sub

Estimated Calories: ~4000
    • Training---Legs, Lower Back

What a sh*tty workout today! I am really rethinking me entire AM working out routine. I always get up and go to the gym with little or no food in me, and I think its really starting to show. I think that working out in the afternoon/evening maybe a much better idea. I am still thinking about the whole thing but today during squats I felt lightheaded, etc. And that is definitely not a good sign. Oh well.

Squats:

135 x 8, 225 x 6, 315 x 4, 405 x 2, 315 x 5

Some okay sets of squats today I think, but I felt was HORRIBLE. Felt lethargic and lightheaded, which I dont understand. Sleep wasnt bad, and my diet yesterday was not that bad. When I did 405 it just felt like a million pounds. I know that I havnt squatted heavy in a long time, so maybe that had something to do with it. Regardless, I really hope that in 2 weeks when I do squats again, it doesnt go like this. 315 for 5 after 4 plates was just painful, flexibility felt terrible, as did my strength.

Stiff-legged Deadlifts:

315 x 5, 405 x 3!

Some good sets of SLDLs today I think. Really enjoy these, never really did them before. Used a mixed grip which I also really like. Started off with 3 plates for 5 reps, ouch. These beat on my lower back and hamstrings a TON. I feel like theyre just painful conventional deadlifts, lol. Upped it to 4 plates for a triple. That was just torture, jeez. 3rd rep was very slow, oh well. Hamstrings were fried.

Nautilus Leg Extensions:

Stack x 8 (3)

Good sets today of leg extensions I think. Quad contractions were nice here today. Used the entire stack which is like 250 I think or something pathetic like that, for 3 sets of 8. Hit my thighs hard, enough to get a good burn going. One of these days I am going to try and rep out with the entire stack and see if I can get like 20 reps or something along those lines.

Rope Cable Pull Throughs:

Stack x 8 (2)

Eh, not too much to say here today. Nice sets. I was exhausted.

Nautilus Crunches:

200 x 8 (2)

Some good sets of crunches today, hit my abs hard. My entire body was just tanked for some reason. I dont know what the problem was. Whatever, I hope that this doesnt happen again. Its really rare that I am just completely tired and drained in the gym. So maybe I need to start getting 8 hours of sleep every night instead of 7.
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: 35 minutes
      Sleep: 7 hours
      Weight: 222 lbs. (gym)
      Pain/Soreness: OW! Chest and triceps are friggin' killing me today. DOMS in my chest is just friggin' insane. I didnt think it was going to be this bad to be honest. Whatever.
    • General Comments

Feel good today I think, I dont know. Leg session honestly was not good. Oh well. Nothing that I can do about it now. Today I have friggin' stupid class from 10-12:30 and then I have to run to Honda because my damn check engine light came on in my Accord. Anyway, hopefully my r-ALA will be coming in the mail today from 1Fast400.com. He is usually pretty good about immediate shipping, etc.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-03-2003 at 01:39 AM.

Mike, I would say your problem was lifting with no food in you. Whenever I end up lifting without eating I feel like everything is 50% heavier. Still, nice session man.

Pocket Canuck
    WOW, awsome Monstar. you don't seem to have any lagging body parts in the strength department!

keep up the INTENSITY!
    --- Sheik ---
    Age-31
    Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 185ish

Strongman
    Mike what 1RM calculator do you use?
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

Mik: Yeah I agree man, I think that training on an empty stomach is pretty much retarded. I dont know why I feel like I always favor training in the morning rather than training at night. I usually always have GREAT workouts in the afternoon/evening---I really have to start getting into that habit. Thanks for chiming in Mik, appreciate it.

Sheik: Hey thanks for chiming in man, really appreciate it. I dont even realize who is reading my journal, lol. Yeah I really dont think that I have any WEAK bodyparts (strength wise), some are stronger than others though. Oh well, its all good. I really would like to see my back strength fly up. Who knows.

Magnus: I use the 1RM calculator from this site:

http://www.sover.net/~timw/orm.htm

Its really pretty good to be honest. Close to completely accurate on the exercises I have used it with.

You have some awesome strength. I think if you cleaned up that diet you would do even better....but hey to each his own! gj!
    Homer Jay Simpson: Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer.
    Homer's Brain: It's a deal!

Awesome work guy!

Pocket Canuck
    To be honest I have been lurking around this forum for quite some time now. As you can see I haven't been all that active, I thought I should try to be more active since I have learned alot from this board. Maybe I can help out too

I am interested in your journal because I think we have certain lifts that are very similar, so I am curious about your progress etc

PUSH it up man!
    --- Sheik ---
    Age-31
    Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 185ish

MonkeyBoy: Thanks a lot man, appreciate the support. Nice to see some new faces here in my journal. I am not sure if you have a journal or not---if you dont, I suggest starting one, and if you do, Ill be sure to check it out. Yeah I have some new ideas for my strength/size training that I am going to post in my next journal entry, so you can see what you think of them if you like.

CoCoa: Thanks a lot, appreciate it.

Sheik: Yeah man, you do seem to know a good deal about working out, etc. I remember you used to have a journal here at WBB, I think you should fish it up and keep it up. Keeping a journal is a GREAT way to track your progress if you ask me. You can look back and see what worked for you and what didnt. Just my $.02. Thanks for the support big guy, and keep up those dips! LOL, from what I remember you hit 4 plates around your waist. Insane, keep it up. I remember trying to keep up with you on dips back when I used to do them when they didnt bother my sternum. After hitting +180, I was finished with them. Sternum pain was unbearable.

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, 1% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
      Meal 2: 1 white choclate cookie, whole milk
      Meal 3: 1 bag fritos
      Meal 4: 4 buttermilk waffles + maple syrup, 2% milk

Estimated Calories: ~3000
    • Training---Rest
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: N/A.
      Sleep: 2 + 8 hours
      Weight: N/A.
      Pain/Soreness: Jeez, OW! Sore as hell today. My chest and triceps are still aching, along with my hamstrings and glutes and quads. Mid-traps are also really sore, I guess from the SLDLs yesterday. Might take it easy on shrugs tomorrow.
    • General Comments

Much thanks for Belial, for helping me out with my training. After talking to him, we have come up with a pretty GOOD way to setup my rep-scheme I think. First of all, I am trying to gain size and strength, without hitting plateaus. As most of us know, being completely natural, its pretty easy to get stuck on a friggin' plateau. Anyway---this is basically how it is going to go. I am going to do 3-week rotations for my rep-scheme.

Bench/Squat
      Week 1---test 8RM
      Week 2---test 3RM
      Week 3---test 1RM

Deadlift
      Week 1---test 5RM
      Week 2---test 3RM
      Week 3---test 1RM

Bentover Rows/BB Curls/WG Uprights/Skullcrushers
      Week 1---test 8RM
      Week 2---test 5RM
      Week 3---test 3RM

As you can see basically all I am going to be doing is working around testing my maxes. But different rep-maxes, this way hopefully I wont plateau. And if I do plateau, Ill work from that point. So Ill see how things go with this new rep-scheme, hopefully it will work out well. I have a really good feeling about it.

By the way, I am obviously going to mix things up. Not test my 1RM for all my exercises in the same week. I know that my immune system couldnt handle that.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-04-2003 at 07:10 AM.

Pocket Canuck
    hey, good memory!
    I have contemplated about starting a journal(on here).
    we will see.
    maybe in a couple weeks, when I start my cutting.
    the dreaded cutting for summer. not looking forward to that. But I am the heaviest I have been in years, so believe me it is needed!
    --- Sheik ---
    Age-31
    Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 185ish

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    If your goals are size and strength, the plateaus would be (fairly obviously) all strength related. This is why Westside (no I'm not saying go back to it) is so effective. You juggle things to increase your strength, but the assistance work (and variations done therein) builds size, which in turn increases your capacity to build strength. Ask Belial what his strength was like 40 pounds ago, or ask chris with the recent booms in strength he's seen. Or ask me. I'm not the biggest or the strongest, but my application has done very well. Just food for thought.

Sheik: I really think that you starting a journal here at WBB would be a GREAT idea Sheik, no doubt about it. You can have a lot of intelligent members giving you tips, etc. I just think overall it has really helped me out. I cant imagine training at all anymore without an online journal of some sort. I have just been doing it so long. Good luck cutting man---hope all goes well.

Saturday Fever: I know Westside is based on a ton of excellent principles. The results were excellent, I mean they really were. The only problem was that I didnt have a back day, and I didnt enjoy the workouts enough. Primarily looking forward to going to the gym should be a huge factor I think. And youre exactly right by saying that juggling things is the best way to increase strength---and then by using other exercises (assistance in Westside) you build size.

Un called for Mon

Yeah I agree man, I think that training on an empty stomach is pretty much retarded.
    MonStar,

Come on dude. Is that the only way you could say it? I have an aunt who is mentaly retarted. I dont think she would appritate being the object of your direct insult. Some times I wonder about poeple who pick on mentaly retarted people. Why would you do that? Is it their fault? tuttut

I presume you were kidding. If not, come on....

I think you missed my point completely. You talk about wanting to get stronger and avoid plateaus, but you want to use a bodybuilding split that focuses on things like 8RM and such. You obviously don't want to get bigger because you get angry everytime you gain weight. All I was saying is that if you want to get stronger and avoid plateaus, structure your routine accordingly.

The only problem was that I didnt have a back day, and I didnt enjoy the workouts enough.
    Say what? If you wanted more back work, do more back work. And what's not enjoyable about setting new PRs every week?

SquareHead: Okay, sorry, I guess. I dont think saying something retarded is a big deal. I am not referring to any specific person or anything like that at all. When I say something is stupid I dont have stupid people saying, "hey, dont make fun of me."

Hercule: I agree, I am hoping that he is kidding as well.

Saturday Fever: Setting PBs week to week was great I think. I mean it made Westside interesting. However, I personally did not care for the entire program. The tons of lower back and hamstring work that I did as assistance work. The light days I didnt really like that much. The entire style of that program was geared towards a powerlifter, which I am not. The program may work perfectly, but if I do not enjoy it, I am obviously not going to stick with it. HST (Hypertrophy Specific Training) was not a lot of fun, I didnt really enjoy it. The results were not bad at all, I lost some fat, etc. But because I did not look forward to my workouts I did not stick with it.

Of the driver ilk
    The point is to use Westside's principles to achieve your goals, meaning you could change your exercises every 1-3 weeks, and such like that, but still make it more to do with hypertrophy.
    "42"