The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Skills: Thanks for chiming in man. Yeah like Ron explained, lying cambered-bar ext. are simply skullcrushers with the EZ-curl bar. And like he said as well, lol, they take a lot of the strain off your wrists. My bentover row PB is from months and months ago, so I really hope to set a HELL of a new PB this afternoon with that exercise. Hoping for 315 x 3 or 315 x 5, one or the other. Damn 5 reps would be nice. Anyway, yeah a while back someone suggested keeping your stats in your signature. I liked the idea, and have done it ever since.

Ron: Thanks for answering those questions man, lol, you knew exactly what I was going to say. Anyway, I am not sure why cambered-bar ext. would give you any wrist trouble, strange. Maybe you should invest in some glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin. GREAT stuff there---I used to take it a while ago and damn I never had an aching joint ever while on that stuff. Thanks again for the support, and I want to hit 3 plates today on bent rows for some reps.

lol, good on ya bro go for dem 3 plates fella

No it didnt give me wrist trouble, i said shoulder trouble , im using glucosamine but never heard of chondroitin, im gonna have a look and invest in some. Cheers for the advice dude.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Originally posted by MonStar
    Skills: Thanks for chiming in man. Yeah like Ron explained, lying cambered-bar ext. are simply skullcrushers with the EZ-curl bar. And like he said as well, lol, they take a lot of the strain off your wrists. My bentover row PB is from months and months ago, so I really hope to set a HELL of a new PB this afternoon with that exercise. Hoping for 315 x 3 or 315 x 5, one or the other. Damn 5 reps would be nice. Anyway, yeah a while back someone suggested keeping your stats in your signature. I liked the idea, and have done it ever since.
    ok was just making sure...because i do curl bar lying tricep extensions as well...neways good luck once again on the rows!

Skillz

Ron: Yeah Ron youll see my entry, I f*cked up 3 plates, no grip strength on a barbell with a double-overhand shoulder-width grip. But somehow, this doesnt make much sense, on a cambered-bar---with a double-overhand shoulder-width grip, my grip strength is very strong. Who knows. By the way, look for a good joint supplement that has 1500 mg. glucosamine, 1500 mg. chondroitin. And then I would also recommend a good 3-5g MSM. Good luck with that shoulder, lol, sorry, dont know why I was thinking wrist.

Skillz: Thanks the support man, appreciate it.

• Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, 2% milk, fruit popsicle, multi-vitamin/mineral
      Preworkout: 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
      During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
      Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech, 200 mg. r-ALA
      Meal 5: fruit popsicle, pudding
      Meal 6: 2 hot dogs
      Meal 7: grilled chicken soft taco, wild rice, fruit popsicle
      Meal 8: sloppy joe, 2% milk

Estimated Calories: ~4000
    • Training---Back, Biceps

Bentover Barbell Rows:

135 x 8, 185 x 6, 225 x 4, 275 x 2, 315 x 2?

JEEZ, what a friggin' joke today. Okay---started off with bentover BARBELL rows. Double-overhand grip, form VERY similar to Narc's. Yates style, pretty upright, pulling to my waistline. Anyway, worked up to 3 plates on each side. I didnt even think about it---a double-overhand ~shoulder-width grip is pretty much my WEAKEST grip. 275 didnt feel THAT bad, but 315---joke. I couldnt even hold onto the bar. Hands were chalked up as f*ck, but I still, just had nothing. Mixed grip I can hold a SH*TLOAD of weight, but double-overhand, forget it.

Bentover Cambered-bar Rows:

325 x 4.5!, 335 x 3!, 265 x 8

Went over to the 35 lbs. cambered-bar that I do my skulls with, loaded it up, and my grip was EXTREMELY strong here. I used a double-overhand shoulder-width grip again, pulling the bar straight to my waistline---yet, my grip was outstanding. Not going back to BB rows, ever. I REFUSE to use friggin' p*ssy wraps. I believe that if youre not strong enough to hold onto the weight, youre doing too much. Anyway, started off with 325. Smoked 3 reps, so I figured I would hit my 5RM today. F*CK! Missed my 5RM. I knew that I had to get either a 5RM or a 3RM so I upped it 10 lbs. and hit my 3RM. Little body English, not too much. Dropped down to 265 for 8. I actually get better lat contractions with a cambered-bar, somehow.

Behind-neck Pullups:

BW x 6, BW x 5, BW x 4.5

Some good sets here today of BTN chins I think. Really tears up the area right under my armpits. Talk about a great exercise. Used my bodyweight (222 lbs. today) for 3 sets. Hit 6 reps with my first set, 5 with the second, and 4.5 with the 3rd. All 3 sets completely fried my lats. Good overall sets today.

Supported Rows:

5 Plates x 4, 4 Plates x 8

Some good sets of supported rows today---I decided to use a hammer-grip, or parallel-grip, whatever. Used 5 plates for 4, and then 4 plates for 8. Lats were TANKED. Damn, lats were completely destroyed today.

Standing Barbell Curls:

155 x 3!, 115 x 7

Wow, impressed myself today with my BB curl strength. Started off with 155 lbs. for a TRIPLE! I didnt expect to hit this at all. Somehow 155 flew up like nothing on the first rep. Second was a bit tougher, and obviously the 3rd rep was hard as f*ck. Nice slow negative after the 3rd rep. Obviously body English was pretty bad, lol, oh well. Dropped down to 115 for 7. Good sets today. Biceps were looking good, hehe.

Alternating Crossbody Dumbbell Hammer Curls:

80 x 5/5!, 70 x 7/7

Some damn good sets of hammers today!! I love this exercise. Crossbody hammers to me are so much better than regular ol' hammer curls. You can go so much heavier. Anyway, nice sets today. Arms were toast.
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: 45 minutes
      Sleep: 2 + 6 hours
      Weight: 222 lbs. (gym)
      Pain/Soreness: Eh, not too bad today actually. I mean nothing EXTREME so thats always nice. Some mild stiffness here and there, not too bad though.
    • General Comments

Okay. Two guys in the gym today came up to me who I havnt seen for a good 6 months I would say. Something along those lines. They were going on and on about how I had gotten a LOT bigger. Than said it was like a transformation. I took this as a compliment, but then I was thinking F*CK---the last 4 months were on Westside. And I was thinking for a little while, what if I went back to Westside? But I CANT because I want to have fun, lol. So now I am battling back and forth with fun vs. results. And I just dont know at this point. I really prefer a bodybuilding style split, but if the results are better with Westside... I just dont know. I am going to think about it for a good while, and decide from there what the hell I am going to do. I cant see myself going back to Westside for some reason. Mainly because I am NOT a f*ckin' powerlifter, damnit. Jeez, so frustrating.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-06-2003 at 08:41 PM.

not bad man! sux u couldnt get it up with the barbell rows like u wanted, but still, 335 with cambered is pretty tight in itself! thats alot of weight! keep up the good work

Skillz

What a predicament!! Its up to you, but i think you should stick with the routine you are with now, why? Becuase think about it you are now 19 years old your hormones are now raging like a wild fire and your getting plenty of calories, so if you stick to a decent routine whatever its nature you will grow.

Give the BB routine a chance man, i know comments like that can sway you but you enjoy what your doing now and thats what matters.

Ive got a few questions to ask. What do the cross-body hammers look like? could you describe?

What type of barbell curls do you do? do you use an olympic bar, btw it was a sensational 155 fella :thumbup

As for the BBR's dont worry mike they will come, its funny you said about the cambered bar because i felt awsome contractions using that bar, i felt even better ones using a neutral grip tricep bar.

l8r m8, hows the back feeling? i bet its inflated like a goodyear blimp

What the hell happened here? Oh well, Mike, you get amazing results no matter what you do so more power to you!
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Of the driver ilk
    Was anyone staring at you as you curled the 80lbs DB's?

I would be, thats awesome strength!
    "42"

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    It's funny that a routine can be classified as a "bodybuilding" split or a "powerlifting" split. This really creates a problem for a few things. How would you classify HST? Minetzer's HIT? The guys in the pro bodybuilding world that use upper/lower splits? You don't have to be a "powerlifter" to do Westside, you just have to be striving for the goals that Westside is geared to achieve. Size and strength.

Skillz: Yeah it does suck that I didnt get to do the barbell rows that I wanted to. Oh well, the cambered-bar rows I did were the same exact exercise---just with a different bar. I like both, but since I have no grip probems with a regular barbell I am going to stick with a cambered-bar for the future. Thanks for chiming in man, appreciate it.

Ron: Thanks for the post man, appreciate it. Yeah I am going to stick with a bodybuilding split, only because its so much more fun than a powerlifting split. Oh well, its all good. The curls with 155 were friggin' INTENSE. I was extremely pleased with my strength there, kinda came out of no where. Ill see how things go with this program. I cant see myself going back to Westside no matter how good the results were. The program was not fun enough for me. I didnt look forward to my workouts as much as I do now, etc. OH---the crossbody hammers are kind of confusing. Basically theyre JUST like regular hammer curls, except you bring the DB to your opposite shoulder, in front of your body. Rather than normal hammer curls where you bring the DB to your same side shoulder, at your side. Lemme know if youre still confused. And yes, I use an Olympic bar for my BB curls.

NateDogg: Hey man, nice to see you posting here in my journal. Yeah I kind of have to agree with you a little there. I dont think that my results on Westside were anything insane. I mean they were pretty good, but not any better than my results have been on any other program. Maybe a BIT more in strength, but other than that, I dont see what my results with this bodybuilding split should be anything but great.

Xg74: Yeah, I guess. I dont know I always tend to get some people who continually watch my entire workout, lol. Whatever, its usually skinny guys, so theyre just trying to learn. I would do the same thing. I try to focus on my workout and not get distracted by the people watching me.

Saturday Fever: Yeah, but that is really the smallest factor in why I am not doing Westside. It all comes down to how much you enjoy the program, etc. Too much lower back and ham work for me. Just not too fun for me. Results were good, dont get me wrong, but I was never really looking forward to my workouts unless I was testing a max or something. HST would be a bodybuilding program I think, without a doubt. Mike Mentzer's too would be bodybuilding.

• Diet/Supplements

Now that ephedrine is pretty much completely going off the market I have decided to reduce my intake. I am going to be taking 25 mg. on training days ONLY. On rest days, I will be taking an ephedrine-free supplement, such as Zantrex-3 or Xenadrine EFX.

Meal 1: cranberry almond cereal + 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3
      Meal 2: 1 Taco Bell supreme beef gordita
      Meal 3: soy protein bar
      Meal 4: macaroni & cheese, energy water
      Meal 5: frosted animal crackers
      Meal 6: 2 Burger King 5-piece chicken tenders

Estimated Calories: ~3300
    • Training---Rest
    • Miscellaneous

Training Length: N/A.
      Sleep: 8 hours
      Weight: N/A.
      Pain/Soreness: Sore today! Lats are stiff. Mid-traps are stiff, too. Biceps and brachioradialis are both pretty damn sore.
    • General Comments

Feel good today I think. Lately my contacts have been bothering me, oh well. Today I have class from 10-12:30 and then I have work from 2-6. Nothing too bad today I dont think. I have some sh*t coming in the mail, so that should be cool. Well see what happens. I am going to be testing my 8RM tomorrow on bench, which should be right around 265 I think, something like that. I hit 275 for 6 last week, so this really should not be too bad at all. Then I am going to test my 5RM I think for skullcrushers, which should be somewhere around 140ish? I dont know, well see how things go tomorrow.

Strange putting my entire back routine around bentover rows. I have never done that before, I like the idea. I know that a few people here at WBB focus on bentover rows exclusively. BCC is one of them, and a few others if I am not mistaken. Curious to see how my lats respond the next few months. Saturday Fever also focuses his back work on bentover and supported rows, pretty much exclusively I think.

I PMed Saturday Fever about me training my lats with only ROWS, and no chins, and he replied with an excellent response. I figured I would quote it.

No. I don't do anything of the sort (chins), and I think recently my back is on par with some of the larger/stronger guys on the site.

Hypertrophy is a lot simpler than most people are willing to admit. You gain weight and you do so in a manner that makes the gains muscular. How? You simply lift trade between time and tension. When I do rows, I do a set or two of higher reps, lower weight mixed with sets of higher weight, lower reps. It's really a simple concept. But you have to be willing to accept weight gains if you're going to stay natural. I'm not fat by any means, but I'm a lot less "cut" than I was at 190.
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-07-2003 at 07:54 PM.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Hey monstar! workouts look ace as usual!

I would stay with your new workouts and see what kinda results you can get with your new strength levels from westside. IMO you might get some very good results that might shock you, and you can always switch back to west side later.

If you had switched from west side say....., any earlier, I would have said to stay with west side, but you stuck with it for 4 months or so which is why you got such great results! The choice is always your own to make, but I think a switch in routines at this point in time would be good for you.

And you said something yourself that would make the deciding easier IMO which was: "because I want to have fun". That says it all right there bro'! Have some fun with your new routines for a while!
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Mon, weights are lookin' stellar!! Keep up the awesome work boy!! Way to go!!
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Simplistic
    Originally posted by MonStar

Standing Barbell Curls:

155 x 3!, 115 x 7

list]

Wow, that 155x3 is VERY impressive. Especially since you did them right after training back. You could probably put 10-15 more lbs on your curl strength easily if you did them fresh. Awesome work man.

Mike, I was just reading over you new journal. Man, you've made some serious gains over the last few months! Congrats. Keep it up. You are officially a "Monstar"!!!

Oh I forgot to ask!

What is/ how do you do a Supported Row?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

kewell,

Thats how i imagined the hammers to be, but do you sit or stand, or is it just down to personal preference, i think i may alternate them 1week on/1 off with concentration curls for a bit of variety.

What kinda sh1t are you getting through the post?

take care,

B-R

Kenn: Thanks for chiming in man, really appreciate it a ton. Yeah I really think that Ill get some damn good results with my new routine. I dont see why I wouldnt. And youre exactly right, it should be all about having friggin' fun. Thats what really matters to me, etc. I am going to test my 8RM on bench tomorrow, hopefully 275, I hope that I get all 8 reps. Well see what happens. Then I am going to be testing my 5RM for skullcrushers. Really looking forward to tomorrow's workout. Thanks again for posting man, glad to see you around here in my journal again. By the way man, I am going to attach a pic of the supported row that I use.

Workhorse: Thanks a lot man, really appreciate the kind words. Hopefully tomorrow's bench session will be stellar. Ill be EXTREMELY pleased if I hit 275 for 8 reps.

Neil: Thanks a lot---appreciate the support. I was really really pleased with my BB curl strength. I really was not sure if I was going to hit 3 with 155 or not. Little body English but hey, its still 155 for a triple. How many guys could do that even with body English? Thats how I think of it. Anyway, next time I curl Ill probably do something like test my 5RM, which I am thinking is somewhere around 145ish?

eclips: Thanks for chiming in man, appreciate it. I think that I did gain some decent strength the past few months. And not all of it was COMPLETELY Westside. I was thinking about a few things. I was packing in a lotta calories most of the time, I rarely get less than 7 hours sleep, my stress levels have been low, etc. Its not completely Westside that I attribute my gains to. I think Ill get just as good of results on a bodybuilding split.

Ron: Theyre standing crossbody hammers man, great exercise by the way. I personally recommend them WAY more than concentration curls, but thats just me. Some stuff for my car came in the mail today, no big deal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Monstar!

Cool, glad to see your going to stick with repping things out for a while! I think it is WAY more fun to see how much one can hit for reps vice 1RM. I mean, its cool to have numbers to throw around when someone asks how much can you bench, but Sh!T, I get asked that all the time now and when I say I just rep out they dont understand how you can have size but cant bench high numbers.

I wont be testing my 1RM for at least another couple months or so.....right now I having fun keeping the intensity as high as possible

About that supported row, DAMN! I'm jealous, that looks like just the thing on a heavy day to hit Lats hard as sh!t without worryout about your back! I want one at my gym.........NOW!

Awesome curls BTW and I hope you get that 275 for 8 reps man! Im sure thats gonna give you SUCH......A........PUMP.......!!!!!!!!! (you better where a bigger shirt, or it might rip on that last rep LOL)
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's

lol, just some parts or are you moding up?