Thread: Since when is fasting ever good?

Since when is fasting ever good?

Men's Health Magazine recently said that they advocate a diet where you stop eating around like 6 (or 8, not sure) so that you can fast all the way till breakfast. I ALWAYS eat before sleep and I think it's pretty good to keep my metabolism running. Isn't it good to not fast?

It's not like that's a major fast. I mean I never knew it was out of the ordinary to stop eating at 6 or 8. I finish eating at 6:30, sometimes earlier and I don't eat again until 8 am. I don't get hungry...although I guess it would depend on what time you go to sleep.

3:16
    i would ignore there advice.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    I usually have a big meal at 6:00, then I go to bed a few hours later. Then I wake up at 4:00 and go to school. The weird thing is that I'm hungry when I wake up.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Re: Since when is fasting ever good?

Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
    Men's Health Magazine recently said that they advocate a diet where you stop eating around like 6 (or 8, not sure) so that you can fast all the way till breakfast. I ALWAYS eat before sleep and I think it's pretty good to keep my metabolism running. Isn't it good to not fast?
    I suspect that the main reason such a diet is beneficial to weight loss would be because many dieters have trouble with late night eating. It is common for dieters to overeat or snack on junk food late at night rather than make healthy food choices. Setting a time which you cannot eat after helps some people because it minimizes or eliminates the possibility of snacking on a lot of high calorie foods after hours. In addition, most Americans eat three meals per day with their largest one at dinner. If someone completes a big meal at 7pm, their body might not be ready for another one that evening. I think it would be better if they ate several smaller meals spaced throughout the day, but most Americans are not going to do this, so many diets try other aproaches.

I agree with you that fasting is a bad idea. This is especially true for persons concerned with building or maintaining muscle. Going without food for long periods may interfere with building muscle and increases the chances of the body breaking down muscle for energy. An overnight fast is not as bad as a fast during the day since most people burn fewer calories at rest.

I eat a meal shortly before I go to bed. I have a snack in the middle of the night when I wake up to go to the bathroom. Then I eat again when I wake up in the morning. I never go more than about 4.5 hours without eating. I often feel hungry before each of the above meals/snack. This is probably related to a higher metabolism following my evening workout.
    Last edited by aka23; 03-28-2003 at 10:11 AM.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Do you gain weight if you eat and then go to bed right after that? I also heard that causes ulcers. Is this true?
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Grasshoppa
    Weight gain is more a function of caloric intake throughout the day rather than 1 meal at night.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

aka pretty much hit it.

Most guys (or gals) who read stuff like M&F don't tend to follow a diet that counts calories - they just eat using appetite and hunger to dictate their feeding patterns. If they force themselves not to eat after 6pm, chances are they'll eat less overall that day, and thus, theoretically lead to weight loss. However, i'd imagine their appetite would be so ravenus when they woke up the next day that they'd end up eating more than usual before 6pm to make up for it. Sub-consciously though.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Ironman8
    Do you gain weight if you eat and then go to bed right after that? I also heard that causes ulcers. Is this true?
    i have no clue, but i ate this salmon/cheese thing before bed, and i woke up at about 6 feeling like i was gonna puke, but it stayed down and i went back to sleep....no clue what that was about
    Email Addy: square_nothing86@hotmail.com

it probably didn't digest well since humans sleep laying down
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.