Thread: How to: one rep max.

How to: one rep max.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but I've never done a one rep max for any exercise and I'm thinking it might be fun to do it one day but I have no idea what the protocol is. Do you do warm up sets first or what? Do you just keep lifting single reps and adding weight until you can no longer lift it?
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

3:16
    warm up. then go for it.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I perform warmup sets, and then take my best guessas to my max and give it a go.

try a light warmup, of maybe 10 reps, just to get loose.

then do a maybe 2 more sets of 3 reps at a heavy weight(but dont exhaust yourself!), then go for it.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Also, if you've never done it before, plan on doing it for two days. I think that you will probably be disappointed the first time you try, but if you come back to it and 3 or 4 days, the weight you failed on the first time will be a cinch.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Thanks guys now I just have to find a spotter, shouldn't be a problem. One more question: how often do you go for a one rep max? I'm assuming you don't do it every time you workout.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

I warm up like a normal day. The start doing 1 reps to get close to what I think my one rep max is. Depending on the lift I like to get close to the 1 rep so when I do it doesn't feel like I feel like a big jump. Be careful not wear yourself up warming up.

FAT
    when i max bench i do a set of
    x6 of the bar
    x3 of 95lbs
    x2 of 135lbs
    x1 of max

but then again my max is only 165lbs so if your stronger i figure youd use heavier weights to warmup with
    LHA 4 LIFE

I think on WBB it said to do:

50% (of max) x 10 / 60 sec rest
    65% x 7 / 60 sec rest
    75% x 4 / 2 min rest
    85% x 2 / 3 min rest
    90% x 1 / 3 min rest
    1 rep max

Of course, you have to first guess what it is. I think that trying to do your max too often can hurt you..I did it a bit too often and started having a pain in my shoulder / elbows.

I think to often is not good either. What I used to do if I couldn't 10 reps out with the next highest weight was do around 15-20 reps total doing very low rep sets. LAst time I did this I really huirt my shoulder and didn't bench with any decent weight for 6 months. Probably didn'y have to weight that long.