Thread: Do you burn calories in a hot tub?

Do you burn calories in a hot tub?

My parents just got their hot tub installed and working and when I got out today, I was exhausted and dehydrated. Do you burn calories in a hot tub? I guess lounging in a hot tub is hardly a workout, but does it help anything at all?

Depends on what you are doing in the hot tub.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Paul, you took the words right outta my mouth

You dirty people.

Just remember the lube, otherwise things get dry and uncomfortable.

I would guess you'd burn fewer calories in a warm environment than in a cold environment, put it that way. But, honestly, depends what the temperature is set to. Your metabolism would likely slow to compensate for the increase in environmental temperature, no?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I don't think it would be so much as burning calories as it would be just a loss of water weight. You'd sweat out the water but would probably replenish it whenever you got some water afterwards. I wouldn't think it would burn any more calories than just sitting, maybe less because you'd be so relaxed. And probably because of what Belial said too. That makes some sense.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

You are always burning calories.

Having now pointed out the obvious, sitting in a hot tub would be heating your body externally, which means you wouldn't have to expend as much energy internally to maintain bodyheat.

Hopefully this post will get posted this time, this POS site screwed my first post.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

If you jack up your cardiac output in trying to cool off (vasodilation of skin, increased heart rate) that could burn nominally more calories.

This is the reverse of trying to drink ice water to burn more calories. Neither one is going to have much of an impact on your overal energy expenditure.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar

Re: Do you burn calories in a hot tub?

Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
    when I got out today, I was exhausted and dehydrated. Do you burn calories in a hot tub? I guess lounging in a hot tub is hardly a workout, but does it help anything at all?
    simple answer: dehydration; even when u swim, u sweat a lot.
    btw, u actually burn more calories when in COLD water, cuz ur body makes ur muscles twitch (shiver) to generate heat instead of work to sustain body temp
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

True that.