The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Question to the experts on DL Overtraining

Okay, back in December I decided to change my routine a little which resulted in SLDLs being moved from back/ham day to leg day. Anyway, I was a little worried with how things would work out since I would now be doing a form of a deadlift two times per week.

Anyway, my deadlift has really been struggling since I switched the day of SLDLs. The real thing that got my attention though was the improvement I experienced after going 3 weeks without lifting. All my other exercises went down from over the break, but my DL and SLDL both improved. To me, that seems like it might be a sign of overtraining.

I'm wondering if I should:
    1. Move SLDL back to back day even though it probably won't do me that much good since I will be fatigued from DLs.
    2. Drop SLDLs completely and find another hamstring exercise.
    3. Go light on SLDLs, but that could short change my hamstrings.

Further info:
    1. I improved 120 pounds between August and December on DLs, but haven't really improved a pound on a max since I switched. Of course I'm sure most of the 120 was that "new exercise improvement"
    2. I only do 2 sets of each since my body seems to tire out fast.
    3. I really push myself every time I do each exercise. Many times, I'm really lightheaded after finishing.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input any of you have.
    5-9 170

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you squatting?

Could very well be you are trying to do too much. Assuming you are doing a squat or leg press, I personally would stick with that and keep the SLDL, and Conventional deadlift occasionally (or do lighter speed work to perfect your form).

To a certain extent, though, it depends on your goals - are you trying to improve your physique, or do you just want a big deadlift, or something else?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Yeah, I squat on the same day I do SLDL.

I guess my goal would be maybe 1/3 physique building and 2/3 powerlifting. I may just move hamstrings back to back day so I can still do both. That seemed to work fine for me before, and my back will have a week to recover from both exercises instead of 4 and 3 days.
    5-9 170

If you are doing Squats, DL and SLDL in the same routine, then first of all, your hamstrings are getting more than enough work, and second of all, you are murdering your posterior chain, particularly spinal erectors, which are hit hard on all three of these lifts.

I'm not sure of your exact split, but I'd just do squats and maybe a couple sets of isolated hamstring work, such as lying leg curls or seated/standing, whatever. And then deadlift maybe once a week, or maybe not even that often. If you squat heavy in that week, don't deadlift heavy, and vice versa. I think if you follow that pattern, both your deadlift and squat totals will improve simultaneously, and you won't walk around stooped over all the time.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

What LP said... cycle heavy squatting and heavy deadlifting... and the squat session prior to your heavy deadlift session, skip the SLDLs, or maybe do a single light set. Keep your deadlift session extremely low volume, as well. You won't hinder hamstring progress by skimping on the stiffies.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Okay, thanks guys, I think I'll just drop SLDLs since my hams should still get enough from squats, deads, and leg curls.
    5-9 170

Jack's Utter Surprise Saturday Fever's Avatar
    Originally posted by ryan1117
    Yeah, I squat on the same day I do SLDL.

I guess my goal would be maybe 1/3 physique building and 2/3 powerlifting. I may just move hamstrings back to back day so I can still do both. That seemed to work fine for me before, and my back will have a week to recover from both exercises instead of 4 and 3 days.
    If that is truly your goal, then might I recommend Westside.

A guy I was talking to last night gave me some pointers on form, and was making routine suggestions.

One of them I found interesting.

Alternate weeks of sets of 6 with sets of 1, and alternate how you squat/dead each week.

for example, in week 1, you would squat for sets of 6 (say 3 sets) at aorund 75% or so, then on your deadlift day, pull for a 1RM. The next week, squat for a 1RM and deadlift 3x6.

This could be incorporated into a routine that would suit your goals nicely.

Monday - squat
    Squat
    leg press
    SLDL
    Leg curl
    hypers
    abs

Weds Bench
    Bench
    DB incline
    OH press
    lat raise
    Triceps

Friday Deadlift
    Deadlift
    chin
    row
    shrug
    curl.

Or something like it. Maybe add in a day for shoulders and biceps to get more tricep work and make the days shorter.

I woldn't do singles benching as often to protect yoru rotators, but that's my preference because I'm old.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Banned
    I'm no expert but I found I did better with maximal squats/deads when doing them no more than every 2nd week

I'm currently doing squats on leg day, followed by deads the next workout. I was also worried about potentially doing to much on my lower back area. I think I'll take that advice and alternate heavy days.