The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Please critique my routine WBB#1 (modified)

Hello All,

First a little bit about me.

Ht: 5'10"
    Wt: 230lbs
    BF: 20% (around there).

Goals:
    1. Drop body fat % down to 10-12%.
    2. Increase strength (one primary strength goals is to bench 225lbs @ 19 reps...although very far away )
    3. Want to lean out (if that is possible with this routine)
    4. Increase muscle stamina

I have also started training in jiu jitsu and want my routine to coincide with my training. This is a WBB#1 routine modified to fit the goals above. I have added add'l sets as I feared that in the orig routine, the number of sets would not increase my stamina (please tell me if i'm wrong).

Anyhow, here goes:

Day 1
    Flat BB Bench Press - 4x6-10
    Low Incline Dumbbell Press - 3x6-10
    Dips - 3x10

Chinups (assisted) - 3x7
    Deadlifts - 3x8-10
    Dumbbell Rows - 3x10
    Shrugs - 3x12

Day 3
    Squats - 4x10
    Hack Squats - 3x10
    Leg Curls - 3x10
    SL Deadlifts - 3x10
    Calf Raises - 4x10

Day 5
    Military Press - 3x10
    Seated DB Press - 3x10
    Standing Lat Raises - 3x10
    Narrow Grip BP - 2x10
    French Press - 2x10
    Barbell Curls - 2x10
    Hammer Curls - 2x8

I also try and do some sort of cardio like 4-5x/week. Is this routine okay to use or should i just stick to directly to the original WBB#1? Like I said my main concern with that routine would be lack of building muscle stamina with only 2 sets per excercise. Thanks for all the help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Maybe a bit to much volume. Also WBB1 is mostly 6-8 rep range, not 10. Give the lower rep a try. If you go heavy enough for a weight you can only do 6-8 reps you will not tbe able to do some many sets. Also 6-8 rep is good for strength.
    I think you have modified the routine to the point where it really isn't WBB1.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice Berserker. I guess I was just too consumed with keeping things the same way, that modification of the routine was done too much . With the lower reps, will that hurt muscle stamina? Thanks!

I don't have a good answer for that, ask it training forum. I have heard some theory that the stronger you are the less effort things take.

My opinion: Strength does not hurt muscle stamina. Think about it.. a weight that I could lift 20 times when I first started out I can probably do endlessly now (in fact, a lot of my beginners weights are now my light warmup sets.. so 20-30 reps without struggling). Did I achieve this muscle stamina by doing endless amounts of reps and never going up in weight, or something specific to stamina? No. I got it by working in a lower to midrange rep and getting stronger. By being stronger, my muscles have to work even less now with that lower weight then it had to before.

Now, that isn't stamina, really.. but it works the same. Less struggle = less stress = longer lasting enginizer bunny.
    LaLa