Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the hardcore gyms gone?

Where have all the hardcore gyms gone?

Do any of you all workout in a "hardcore" gym? There just are not any near by in my town. I was told I couldn't play heavy metal/hard rock when I was working, I work at a gym. I have to play pop music or easy listening music now. All these treadmill queens think they own the gym, there a bunch of overweight middle aged women. And then there is the old middle aged fat women in the jazzercise classes! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I hate this gym!

I do.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    Man there is one hardcore, ole-style-looks-like-Arnold-and-the-boyz-worked-out there Gym. Its great but I've only been once. They don't even have trainers just hardcore mofos that go to war with the iron.

But I am at a gym like yours and I hate it, I mean I can't stand the bullsh*t that I have to listen to and the crying about the air. It sucks and now I know I'm moving to a new gym. Thank you for helping me make up my mind.
    Last edited by GeneticallyGifted; 08-06-2002 at 04:09 PM.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Never Satisfied.
    I too was wondering where the hardcore gyms were at while I was focusing on my next set on the bench press today just as the new Boys II Men song came on. Lucky for me though, by the time I was ready to start the set, the gym's own ad came on letting us all know that "multi vitamins are very important" and lucky us, they just happened to be "selling them on sale, so be sure to buy some on your way out."

Right after I finished the set and started to walk over to the incline bench, as I avoided stepping on the vacuum cleaner wire that the non english speaking cleaning people had out across the free weight room to do their daily "lets all vacuum the floors and windex the mirrors while people are in the middle of working out" routine, a super duper Britney Spears song came on, and as you can guess, nothing spells intensity like Britney Spears.

Again, lucky for me I couldn't really here the crappy music due to one of my gyms 160lb "personal trainers" (who has probably posted on this board asking if he should do his biceps 4 times a week for better results) was telling his "client" that he was going to start using Triple H's workout routine that was in Flex magazine.

Yes, nothing like the hardcore atmosphere of my Bally's Total Fitness.

3:16
    i can trian hard core in a poncy gym as i am focused.

plus its easier to show off in a fitness centre.

even dymanic deadlift day is more than most people there lift.
    well not that any one else really deadlifts.

though you can get some people who nealry curls as much. but i have trianed my back hard 1st. while they do bicpe then some incline dumbell flies to finish with.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Just Another Tool
    down the road a ways past the mini mart on the left
    Amen my gym recently opened....loaded with cardio gizmos....i think pound for pound there is more ab machines and cardio junk than there is iron!!!

asked for a bar jack to lift bar when adding lbs for deadlift. and got a why responce...WTF......finally got them to change the radio station... oh sorry XM frequency for an hour last night because they were slow..went from phil collins to bueatiful people Marilyn Manson
    but in defense of the owner, who seems descent and has put in his gym time, i think this is what those other people want to see when joining a gym sorry...fitness club so in order to make enuf $$$ to stay open they need to cater to the masses.....
    ------------------------------------------
    Look around and see.... people like us are the minority!!!
    -----------------------------------
    Damn thats almost quoteable
    If it aint broke....
    Fix it until it is...

I lift in the same type of place as you TT
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

My old boss owns a hardcore gym, I love working out there. But at the gym I work at and workout at, we're slowly making the effort to turn it into a pussy gym. We're bringing in some pretty chrome beauty bells and sitting aside a 'women's only' area Not to mention all the ab and thigh machines we're bringing in!!! hooray for toning midsection and those unsightly blubbery thighs !!!!!! Isn't this just ******* splendid
    Last edited by BigChaseyChase; 08-06-2002 at 05:03 PM.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
    My old boss owns a hardcore gym, I love working out there. But at the gym I work at and workout at, we're slowly making the effort to turn it into a pussy gym. We're bringing in some pretty chrome beauty bells and sitting aside a 'women's only' area Not to mention all the ab and thigh machines we're bringing in!!! hooray for toning midsection and those unsightly blubbery thighs !!!!!! Isn't this just ******* splendid
    I think you should crochet the "no deadlifting" sign yourself.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Fabulous idea belial!
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Half of my gym is hardcore. The other half is for the women and tone-fags. I still have to put up with Top 40 crap, but they at least attempt to make most of it pseudo-hard and listenable.

A few times a month I go with my buddy to another "fitness center." Those guys have aneurysms when I use their curl station for squatting.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

women's only area?

jazzercise?

wtf is this crap?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

What are you talking about? Your gym looks like a night club and has a singles bar in the front.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

so....it's still isn't a wussy gym. they cordone off the cardio-wusses and keep them penned up in their own area.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Belial

I think you should crochet the "no deadlifting" sign yourself.
    ROFLMAO!

I just had this image a some queer-boy, like Christopher Lowell or Richard Simmons putting up a pink and yellow crocheted (sp?) "no deadlifting" sign complete with flowers and rainbows! All this while some beast is in the middle of a 600 lb pull!

hahaha

Just thought I would throw in a note to say how hardcore my new gym is to make ya jealous

Heres how it was Tuesday.

Bout 20 peeps there. There was this one guy like 5,4, guy is SO big and SO ripped he looks like a damn pro. His abs are like busting out everywhere lol

Another guy who always seems to ask me for a spot lol is 22 stone!!!! (bout 310 lb's) Now he ain;t lean but he ain't like super fat either he is just a pure ******* monster lol He is like 6,7 or something, so tall and lifts some absolutely silly weight.

There was a dog there also ha ha. yeah this guy sometimes brings in his dog., Its a Staff and its massive. Normally you assume those types of dogs to be a bit nasty but this is the softest thing out. Just lazes about on the mats and steals peoples bottles of water and runs off with them lol

They also play stuff like dr dre, some radio and not primarily Britanny Spears cd's like my other gym !
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Well - no gym can compare to the SHITENESS of the wank gym I train in.

Whole regiments of knobs attend everyday - they don't know what overtraining means.
    They run straight to the dumbell rack - grab a 10Kg and start bicep curling and they GENUINELY believe that they will get huge arms by doing this. After that they move to the bench press and complete 15 sets of 1 rep on a wieght that they cannot dream about lifting - so they're supposed 'training partner' lifts half the weight for him (EVEN ON THE NEGATIVE PORTION OF THE REP).

You NEVER see the following exercises performed in there (unless me, my brother, or my mate are training).
    1.Deadlift
    2. Dips
    3.Chins
    4. I blow dust off the squat rack when I go in.

Typical comments from the patrons of my gym:

"I've heard deadlift is dangerous."

"Me legs are big enough already - I just want to gain a few pounds on my arms and chest."

"squats are dodgy"

" I don't want to get tooo big"
    This is the most common comment usually spewed forth from a 135lb runt. - tooo big?? I have to control the laughter.

It gets worse.... they leave weights sprawled all over the floor, the gym cannot afford a working stereo so they play German MTV2 (horrible dance music) at full volume. Half the idiots go there for a chat..... monopolising equipment that they're not actually using. It's actually illegally hot in there and the water cooler is great but has no cups for you to drink from.

Add to this appaling attitude from the 165lb "instructors" that work there and every 115lb runt getting a bicep pump and then walking around the gym like Ronnie Coleman and you have a crap gym.

Why do I go?
    Well because my walkman is playing before I get in. Slipknot, Mudvayne, Static-X, Sepultura, Raging Speedhorn, Ill Nino, and I suppose everything else slips away. Also there's a lot of high quality equipment there too.
    The old F40 is BACK, cocky grinning, smiling and happy.... at last! (with a few more lbs of muscle too!)

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    MY GYM MAKES ALL yours look like a joke. Its in my basement and the only lifter there is diesel and indian and has a big mean streak. The floor is littered with cracks from the weight he does deadlifting, and there is only a power rack, a bench, and some weights. To increase the hardcoreness there is also a washing machine and a dryer.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Hulk your gym sound raw......

My Gym is a commercial gym and they wont play hard rock, because theire wusses, when I deadlift people ask like whats that.
    But its cool when this Night of the Champions dude comes in and trains, then its all hardcore for a couple a minutes.

The gangs train like girls and think theire the bomb.

I want to go to Golds Gym so badly.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Wannabebig Member
    The gym I frequent in Philly is about the hardest place I've ever seen. It's clientelle has calmed down a bit, but from 3:30 to 7:30 you will see some sick sh*t being thrown around. 'bells from 5lb to 180lb with guys duct taping 10lb plates to the end of them.
    The atmosphere is just hard core. Amazing place. Never had a bad workout there.
    5'10"
    240lbs
    12% bf damn it!

Originally posted by Tryska
    women's only area?jazzercise?wtf is this crap?
    haha i was thinking the same thing
    the music is good at my gym. (at least i think so. they play one of the rock stations i like)
    there is the big gym with some good equipment that takes up about 3/4 of the gym but then there is the bikes and treadmills and that stuff with the other 4th
    then there is another room branched off that is dedicated to just lifting.
    some of you guys probably wouldnt like it but ya never know
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

Let me warn you all..... even the infamous Gold's Gym is turning foofy!!

What used to be a kick-ass, hard-core environment has been slowly slowly slowly turning into another corporately-owned-pink-n-purple-dumbbell-cardio establishment. Granted we still have *some* of the biggest, baddest mofos around....the serious have to workout in an obstacle course of skinny-wannabes, headbanded/leg warmer overwt females, and the rude and undedicated AVERAGE people off the street who think its SOOOO KEWL to pay for your own personal trainer to tell you that doing db presses while balancing on an exercise ball followed with more balancing exercises for strength and toning is THE way to a great physique.
    Lately - I have just been tipping these people over when I walk by.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Dude, we have one of the hardest gyms around not too far from us (Lifter's Club). I can't stand it there cause almost everyone is a dickface. But it's pretty hardcore compared to everything else in town. And Powerhouse ain't all THAT bad.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Wannabebig Member
    I used to work out at the gym but it became too much of a hassle to work into my schedule so I started working out at home.

I have a power rack, bench, and about 600 lbs in free weights.

I can crank out any music I like, my bench is never drenched in some fat sob's sweat and noone ever asks me if they can work a set in.

I love it!

Originally posted by kimpy225

haha i was thinking the same thing
    the music is good at my gym. (at least i think so. they play one of the rock stations i like)
    there is the big gym with some good equipment that takes up about 3/4 of the gym but then there is the bikes and treadmills and that stuff with the other 4th
    then there is another room branched off that is dedicated to just lifting.
    some of you guys probably wouldnt like it but ya never know

You go to a gym Kim?!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!